• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Stanley Cup Playoffs Round 1 - Capitals vs. Islanders

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JT is money

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was 4th fastest goal scored in OT playoff game in NHL History. 2nd fastest was 11 Seconds, 4/11/75. J.P. Parise's goal in OT goal gave New York Islanders a win over NYR and the very first franchise playoff series win for NY Islanders.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holtby kept the Caps in that game. He was spectacular. I just hope the Isles can sustain that type of pressure next game too because I can't imagine another 40 saves on 42 shots game for Holtby.

Also, Viz is a soft player but I don't think it was a dive. The guy has had concussion issues the past few years and 6 in his career. I think he was honestly shook up. Just my opinion on the play. He doesn't have a reputation for diving.

This series is awesome so far.....

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hate reading stuff like this simply because some of the best experiences I've had at games involved talking/BSing with opposing team's fans. It's awesome to get a different perspective, have real hockey/baseball talk with them. Doesn't sound like they broke any of the "rules" either. If you're an obnoxious screaming away fan you're going to get crap, but it still shouldn't be slurs or beer being poured on you. Sucks.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate reading stuff like this simply because some of the best experiences I've had at games involved talking/BSing with opposing team's fans. It's awesome to get a different perspective, have real hockey/baseball talk with them. Doesn't sound like they broke any of the "rules" either. If you're an obnoxious screaming away fan you're going to get crap, but it still shouldn't be slurs or beer being poured on you. Sucks.

The parts that get me most are the vandalism, the racial/homophobic slurs, and the incompetency of the security staff. No place for any of that

Last edited:

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The parts that get me most is the vandalism, the racial/homophobic slurs, and the incompetency of the security staff. No place for any of that

Incompetent workers, definitely. Not sure how you can ignore someone having a bottle thrown at them. Geez. I complain about the corporate air at Consol, but I think I'd prefer that to this crap.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was embarrassed as an Islanders fan to read this. There have been times at the Verizon Center these past two games that I went to that I've been flipped off or met with an 'f-you' but I was never the subject to something this bad. No one poured a beer on me or threw something at me.

There are Isles fans on Isles boards saying they shouldn't be in our house and they should expect this, blah blah blah, but the bottom line is, it's total bullshit. I have nothing but respect for the Caps fans and respect for their fan base. I just wish my former-Long Islanders would do the same.

Ashamed is a good word.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The parts that get me most are the vandalism, the racial/homophobic slurs, and the incompetency of the security staff. No place for any of that
Not the beer being poured on them? Otherwise known as assault?

I've said this a thousand times, but if I can go to Montreal, buy a ticket to Leafs-Habs, wear a Leaf jersey, go nuts for every Leaf goal and sit quietly and mutter "shit" to myself for every Habs goal and leave that barn without so much as a hint of fear or threatening behaviour from the equally-rabid home fans being levelled my way, there is no fucking excuse for this shit!

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the beer being poured on them? Otherwise known as assault?

I've said this a thousand times, but if I can go to Montreal, buy a ticket to Leafs-Habs, wear a Leaf jersey, go nuts for every Leaf goal and sit quietly and mutter "shit" to myself for every Habs goal and leave that barn without so much as a hint of fear or threatening behaviour from the equally-rabid home fans being levelled my way, there is no fucking excuse for this shit!

Heck, it's called be a decent human being. I hate when sports become an excuse. Would you go up to someone on the street at dump a beer on them? Would you go around keying cars in your parking lot at work? Would you throw a bottle at a stranger in a bar on a regular Friday night? No. Well, some of these people may, but still. It's not an excuse, it's not a reason, control yourself like an adult. Emotions do get ramped up, but that means jack. And being drunk isn't an excuse either. That's shit. Be a responsible adult. If you can't control your actions when drunk, you shouldn't be drunk. Again, being responsible.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heck, it's called be a decent human being. I hate when sports become an excuse. Would you go up to someone on the street at dump a beer on them? Would you go around keying cars in your parking lot at work? Would you throw a bottle at a stranger in a bar on a regular Friday night? No. Well, some of these people may, but still. It's not an excuse, it's not a reason, control yourself like an adult. Emotions do get ramped up, but that means jack. And being drunk isn't an excuse either. That's shit. Be a responsible adult. If you can't control your actions when drunk, you shouldn't be drunk. Again, being responsible.

I agree with all this. It's brutal. I think in today's media everyone has a medium to tell a story. I'm glad it got sent out. Not just because a few Islander fans are a-holes, but so everyone can maybe take a step back and realize it's still just a game. No one should be subject to that garbage. Ever.

I hope Isles PR steps up and fixes this guys car.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it's just mob mentality sometimes.

It's similar to the way people behave on the Internet - often saying things they wouldn't say to sometimes face because they feel cloaked in the protection on anonymity. (related note - it's nice we don't do that on here and that everyone is largely respectful and act like adults towards each other) Fans at games feel protected

It's too bad because some of the most enjoyable outings I've had at sporting events have involved nice conversations with opposing fans.

Back to the game... Isles definitely deserved the win yesterday. Hockey is so weird sometimes. The Caps dominated game 2 and the Isles game 3. And yet both teams were a lucky bounce away from winning those games and flipping the script. Caps need to win game 4 and make this a 3-game series, though I don't think the home ice advantage means jack here. Neither team seems phased by where they are playing and both have pretty similar records home and away. REALLY good series so far - physical, fast, exciting. Classic Patrick Division hockey.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's just mob mentality sometimes.

It's similar to the way people behave on the Internet - often saying things they wouldn't say to sometimes face because they feel cloaked in the protection on anonymity. (related note - it's nice we don't do that on here and that everyone is largely respectful and act like adults towards each other) Fans at games feel protected
This reminds me of a Louis CK standup bit about people driving, where we have no problem giving someone else the finger and telling them to fucking die while we would never ever do that to someone face-to-face, or something like that. It brings out the worst in people.

Puck082

LGI
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fehr out the next two games. Man that was a helluva hit by Okposo.