• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stanley Cup on loan to this years winner...

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs -- "Tell the Stanley Cup winner this year that the Cup's on loan to them" - ESPN Boston

BOSTON -- A week after the Boston Bruins' Stanley Cup title defense officially ended with a Game 7 loss in overtime to the Washington Capitals in the Eastern Conference quarterfinals, Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs and team president Cam Neely gave their state of the 2011-2012 season.

Jacobs, Neely, along with principal and alternate governor Charlie Jacobs, all addressed the good, the bad and the ugly from the past season. The elder Jacobs, sporting a much smaller version of the Stanley Cup ring, had a message for the last team standing this season.

"We've got to tell the Stanley Cup winner this year that the Cup's on loan to them," Jacobs said. "It's going to come back home here in the near term.

"It was a tremendous year given that last spring we won the Cup. They have a rule in football that they call you're guilty of excessive celebration so we celebrated pretty much. But we are disappointed and you have to understand how difficult it is to repeat a Stanley Cup, especially after coming off such a long season we had last year."

The Bruins thought they had the team to repeat as champions this season but the Capitals ended that dream last Wednesday at TD Garden. Moving forward, however, Neely likes the core, youth and depth of the organization, and besides a few "tweaks" he likes the makeup and character of this team.

Neely admitted that the team did not play its best hockey against the Capitals even in the games Boston did come out victorious.

"That part is difficult to swallow because we all feel we should still be playing right now," Neely said. "If you can get out of the first round and you never know what can happen in the second round."

Yes, the Bruins won the Northeast Division and finished second the Eastern Conference, but they still failed to get past the first-round playoff series against the Capitals. After the season ended, players spoke of the mental and physical grind during the season that followed a Cup victory and subsequent celebrations before the short summer turned into training camp in September.

There are unrestricted and restricted free agents that need to be signed, and Chiarelli said last week he would focus on both the trade and free-agent markets to improve the team.

Internally, the Bruins have a total of seven unrestricted free agents, including forwards Chris Kelly, Gregory Campbell, Daniel Paille and Brian Rolston. On the defensive side, Joe Corvo, Greg Zanon and Mike Mottau are all UFAs. Goaltender Tuukka Rask and forward Benoit Pouliot are restricted free agents.

Speaking of goaltender, veteran netminder Tim Thomas has one year and $3 million remaining on his deal and there's already been speculation that the Bruins would entertain moving the 38-year-old. Chiarelli said last week that is not his intent. Rask and the Bruins have already begun contract negotiations, too. As far as Neely is concerned, both will be back between the pipes next season.

"We're very happy with our goalies," Neely said. "We have two strong goalies in both Tim and Tuukka. I think a lot of other teams are envious of what we have here. It's an area we feel pretty comfortable with."

As far as coaching and management, Neely said he was pleased with the job done by both coach Claude Julien and Chiarelli. The terms of their respective contracts are undisclosed.

"They both have term remaining on their contracts," said Neely. "I think they both did a great job this year. Claude's a very good coach and Peter's a good general manager.

I am fine with giving Thomas one more year so long as Rask is cool with it. I do not want to lose Rask. Really curious to see what moves are made this offseason. But, all in all, happy with the attitude after this season. Let's bring the Cup home again soon. :rockon:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:golfing:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#FuckYou
#DevilsAreUp
#AssPirate

#FuckYouToo
#RagLover

35alqx.jpg

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, he is fucking hilarious. I wish 24/7 went longer this year.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neely admitted that the team did not play its best hockey against the Capitals even in the games Boston did come out victorious.

"That part is difficult to swallow because we all feel we should still be playing right now," Neely said. "If you can get out of the first round and you never know what can happen in the second round."

They didn't include his whole quote...

"That part is difficult to swallow because we all feel we should still be playing right now. If you can get out of the first round and you never know what can happen in the second round. And then if you play better in the second round and win four games, you move on to the third round. Once there, you don't know what can happen and your team could advance and make it to the Finals. And then once in the Finals, if you win more games than the other team, they'll give you this Cup thing. That's how it works, just in case people weren't sure. Did I mention I'm a big Rebecca Black fan?"

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after thursday comes friday, friday, gotta get down on friday

too much?

/too much :L

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not care what has been said in the media. I am betting Thomas is gone. I suspect Krejci or Lucic is finding a new team as well. Bruins are gonna go after Parise. I just know it.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't include his whole quote...

"That part is difficult to swallow because we all feel we should still be playing right now. If you can get out of the first round and you never know what can happen in the second round. And then if you play better in the second round and win four games, you move on to the third round. Once there, you don't know what can happen and your team could advance and make it to the Finals. And then once in the Finals, if you win more games than the other team, they'll give you this Cup thing. That's how it works, just in case people weren't sure. Did I mention I'm a big Rebecca Black fan?"

Bossman, that you?

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not care what has been said in the media. I am betting Thomas is gone. I suspect Krejci or Lucic is finding a new team as well. Bruins are gonna go after Parise. I just know it.

No way they ship Looch. Krejci is a possibility, but that would just be stupid, unless the return was damn good.

Our netminding and D is damn good (minus Corvo and Zanon), we need some offensive firepower. I am truly hoping Seguin keeps getting better.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way they ship Looch. Krejci is a possibility, but that would just be stupid, unless the return was damn good.

Our netminding and D is damn good (minus Corvo and Zanon), we need some offensive firepower. I am truly hoping Seguin keeps getting better.

Nothing needs to be done on defense. Hamilton should be good to go and all indications are he is gonna be very good.

I would not trade looch either but he is a liability in the playoffs.

I want Parise and I think it should be the Bruins number one thought. Dood is a total stud.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing needs to be done on defense. Hamilton should be good to go and all indications are he is gonna be very good.

I would not trade looch either but he is a liability in the playoffs.

I want Parise and I think it should be the Bruins number one thought. Dood is a total stud.

He's going to make out like a bandit this year. Not that there are many other players as good as he is, but there's nobody even REMOTELY close on the market and a number of teams want him. What do you think, 7.5 mill/year?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Do you really think Jordan Parise is a suitable replacement for Thomas :noidea:

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we can find room for Lucic. I wonder what the asking price would be though, probably something insane.