• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Stanley Cup Freakin' Finals (Sharks v Penguins)

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Family vacation means getting to watch games 3-5 with my dad and assorted family. Keep this thing rolling, boys.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'...

I mean, does anyone actually consider "cheating" on faceoffs real cheating anyway? Is a Stanley Cup victory automatically tainted if your 4th line winger jumps across before the puck drop at some point during the series?

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time a player says this stuff publicly, I sit back and wonder how the world would react if the Crosby robot said it.

I'm guessing he said it to try and get the refs thinking about it every time they drop the puck next game. But yeah, it still sounds whiny.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, does anyone actually consider "cheating" on faceoffs real cheating anyway? Is a Stanley Cup victory automatically tainted if your 4th line winger jumps across before the puck drop at some point during the series?

My favo(u)rite is when a team ices the puck and a player on the team that iced the puck has his stick magically break and the trainer can't find his stick in the stick rack and once he finally does, the player takes his own sweet time getting back into his own end.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favo(u)rite is when a team ices the puck and a player on the team that iced the puck has his stick magically break and the trainer can't find his stick in the stick rack and once he finally does, the player takes his own sweet time getting back into his own end.

Or when the coach of the team with the tired guys tries to convince the linesman that it was played with a high stick and when they tell him to forget it because it wasn't, then he calls a time out?

I only watched the third and OT, was the entire game as sloppy and poorly officiated (Two blatant high sticks missed? really?).

By the way, I was watching the Calder Cup Finals. Go Monsters!

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or when the coach of the team with the tired guys tries to convince the linesman that it was played with a high stick and when they tell him to forget it because it wasn't, then he calls a time out?

I only watched the third and OT, was the entire game as sloppy and poorly officiated (Two blatant high sticks missed? really?).

By the way, I was watching the Calder Cup Finals. Go Monsters!

They were in total game management mode all night. High stick on the PP? Nope...that's too big an advantage. Interference with a lead late? You're winning, don't complain. High stick late in tied game? LOL. Dream on.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing he said it to try and get the refs thinking about it every time they drop the puck next game. But yeah, it still sounds whiny.

Conor Sheary's OT Goal Mosaic

Watch Vlasic in this video, the top right one. I'm sincerely gonna wait for the narratives. It's nice that MSM is noticing Sid's control this year (Because it is better...although I don't think it was necessarily out of control in the past), but this is crap Sid would be crucified for a few years ago. Heck, this year he was criticized a bit for being angry in the tunnel when he thought he just broke his hand. Meanwhile, Pavelski throws a temper tantrum on the ice, nada. Thornton straight up mugs Sid, nothing. These two are whining, psh. You know how NBC reacted to these comments? They laughed and wondered if he did cheat. It would probably end the hockey world as we know it if the roles were reversed. Also, maybe I don't know anything about faceoff rules, but...that faceoff looked pretty normal to me. If he's cheating, then every player in the league does it. Often. Anyway, I'm whining and biased, I know...but I'm protective of the guy. He works his ass off, he called that play (although as he said, he calls like 25 plays a game, this one just worked), and they're trying to pretend it wasn't earned. That bugs me.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last time a team won the first two games of the SCF and lost the series was a riot.

:behindsofa:

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kessel can't lead a team. He's a good 3rd wheel. Leafs got Matthew's now. Leafs would make that trade 10/10 times.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conor Sheary's OT Goal Mosaic

Watch Vlasic in this video, the top right one. I'm sincerely gonna wait for the narratives. It's nice that MSM is noticing Sid's control this year (Because it is better...although I don't think it was necessarily out of control in the past), but this is crap Sid would be crucified for a few years ago. Heck, this year he was criticized a bit for being angry in the tunnel when he thought he just broke his hand. Meanwhile, Pavelski throws a temper tantrum on the ice, nada. Thornton straight up mugs Sid, nothing. These two are whining, psh. You know how NBC reacted to these comments? They laughed and wondered if he did cheat. It would probably end the hockey world as we know it if the roles were reversed. Also, maybe I don't know anything about faceoff rules, but...that faceoff looked pretty normal to me. If he's cheating, then every player in the league does it. Often. Anyway, I'm whining and biased, I know...but I'm protective of the guy. He works his ass off, he called that play (although as he said, he calls like 25 plays a game, this one just worked), and they're trying to pretend it wasn't earned. That bugs me.
I think they should give the goal to him.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 5 tickets went on sale at noon today. I was watching the seconds click off, I'm on a fast internet connection, but nothing was available. Were they already sold out? Or are there automatic programs out there that buy the tickets within milliseconds? Who knows.

I'll keep my eye open for resale tickets, but only if the price goes down. I can't drop 900+ for two nosebleed tickets, especially with the current exchange rate. If someone starts selling them around 300 each, maybe.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crosby was 70% in the face-off circle tonight.

He even sucks at cheating. He should have been 100%

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gotta love Harnarayan Singh (excerpt of an interview last week with the National Post):

GREENE: So I wonder - I mean, there's no ice hockey, I take it, in Northern India and Pakistan. So if some of these terms like puck and - have you had to come up with new words or different ways to say those words?

SINGH: Well, yeah. We've been able to coin quite a few new phrases. I mean, for example, as penalty box, we call it the box of punishment. And we go (speaking Punjabi). And we would kind of have some fun. Slapshot - I used a hybrid where I took a slap to the face and added shot at the end so it's a chapeRR shot, and the community just loved it.

GREENE: I've read that you describe the puck sometimes as - and forgive me if I'm not pronouncing this correctly but - aloo tikki?

SINGH: Yeah, well, if you're explaining what a puck is to someone who hasn't seen one before, it does resemble the shape of a very popular Punjabi appetizer which is like a potato that's been kind of sauteed and fried, and it's the same shape as a puck. And so I'm kind of just saying, well, this is a rubber version, and it's not edible. But it is the same shape as a tikki.

GREENE: (Laughter) I love that. And did you always want to be a broadcaster?

SINGH: I did since I was very young. Since I was 4 years old, my family tells me that's what I said all the time that I wanted to do this.

GREENE: You're a natural.

SINGH: Yeah, well, they had to try to tell me to lower my volume because they were actually trying to listen to the commentary when the games were on when I was young. But I'd be running around the living room apparently and providing play-by-play commentary for my own little arena that we had in the living room with my mini hockey sticks.

GREENE: What do you think you mean to the Sikh community in Canada?

SINGH: I think what we're doing is making the community very proud. And I think it gives everybody the feeling that, you know, this is our country, too, and my great-grandmother even came to Canada in 1908. So it's been over a hundred years. And to think from, you know, the experiences that he had in a country where, you know, back then he wasn't, he didn't feel very welcome to where we are today. It's unbelievable.

GREENE: It was great talking to you and enjoy making your calls during the Stanley Cup championship. We'll be listening.

SINGH: The Stanley Cup final doesn't get any bigger and better than that.

GREENE: There you go. Thanks so much.

SINGH: Thanks for having me.