• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Stanley Cup Finals: Washington Capitals vs. Las Vegas Golden Knights

Markwassillylaugher

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what the ratings were for that game? Pretty sure that many people here in my area will be watching this series.
Too bad that game #2 is on a channel that I don't get.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, G1 was interesting, wasn't it?

First off, as the almost 60 year old from Winnipeg, errr, Toronto, I love the opening. The only thing they missed was during the introduction of the starting lineups. They should have provided more info e.g. From Moscow, Russia weighing in at 6'3" 235 pounds, Number 8, Alex Oveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh-chkin!". That would have been awesome.

Ice. I have never seen fire extinguisher looking things used to patch ice. Interesting strategy.

Both teams were rusty. Not surprised.

Both goalies were leaky. Not gonna use the S word just yet. Was not expecting 10 goals though.

Reaves on Carlson. In the regular season, that is interference. In the playoffs, it happens every single time the puck is in one end. Every time. Either call em all or dont. I cant blame the refs for that one.

Wilson on Marchessault. Late hit. Deserved a penalty, no idea what Perron did. Guess the refs really didnt want to give Wilson a penalty, felt they had to, so they evened it up. No suspension.

Apparently, a Finals game has never had 4 lead changes before. Cool.

Although I am cheering for Vegas, I loved being able to watch without a dog in the hunt. Supporters of the other 29 teams are gonna miss a ring-a-ding-dong dandy if they dont tune in because their team is out.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eller the leading candidate for the Tikkanen Award.

Larsa Ellkanen.With the small exception that Tikk just whiffed. Lars *was* stick checked (According to those rooting for Vegas) or slashed (according to those rooting for Caps).

That was the most entertaining Stanley Cup Final game I've watched in years.

Well, once the game started at least. But hey - Penn and Teller showed up!

I have never seen a team (Knights) consistently do more with broken plays, like ever. That was fun.

So, it's supposed to be 10 degrees hotter on Wednesday. I hope they have enough fire extinguishers to fix the ice.

All over my facebook feed is crying about Reaves' goal. My thought is this - if you have ever defended or cheered Tom Wilson, then you don't get to cry about the dirty shit Vegas is doing. It feels like Vegas is a mirror team. They learn what kind of game is gonna get played, and then they smack you in the face with it. SJ Played a heavy north-south game, Vegas played it too. Winnipeg tried flow and speed. Vegas matched. They've clearly watched film on the Caps.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All over my facebook feed is crying about Reaves' goal. My thought is this - if you have ever defended or cheered Tom Wilson, then you don't get to cry about the dirty shit Vegas is doing.

Well, I didn't think the Reaves goal was dirty, it just should have been a penalty. But that's hockey sometimes. The Caps had a pretty blatant interference that was not called either. At the end of the day, we had chances to win that game and we didn't play that well. On the down side, missed a chance to steal game 1. On the up side, their blue liners and Fleury didn't look that strong. Their forwards do backcheck VERY well. Caps gotta stick to their structure more. I think both teams struggled to do that.

My question is... What if you've both cheered for (he is on my team after all) and admonished Tom Wilson (i recognize he is reckless)? What are my options then? ;)

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I didn't think the Reaves goal was dirty, it just should have been a penalty. But that's hockey sometimes. The Caps had a pretty blatant interference that was not called either. At the end of the day, we had chances to win that game and we didn't play that well. On the down side, missed a chance to steal game 1. On the up side, their blue liners and Fleury didn't look that strong. Their forwards do backcheck VERY well. Caps gotta stick to their structure more. I think both teams struggled to do that.

My question is... What if you've both cheered for (he is on my team after all) and admonished Tom Wilson (i recognize he is reckless)? What are my options then? ;)

Prison? ;)

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, am I the only one who heard Pierre describe the Knights as wearing "Green and Gold"?

I thought for sure at another point he said "guys in the green sweaters".

Go home Pierre, you're senile.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, am I the only one who heard Pierre describe the Knights as wearing "Green and Gold"?

I thought for sure at another point he said "guys in the green sweaters".

Go home Pierre, you're senile.
No, he definitely said it both times and I called him out on it both times.

Granted, I was just talking to my cat and my GF, neither of whom was paying any attention to me at the time. Or, in other words, generally how most of us treat Pierre.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the swallow the whistle idea in the playoffs and subscribe to it. But I don't buy for a second that happens every single time down the ice in a playoff game. People are being so critical for a reason, it was a huge missed call.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In case you were wondering...

Math checks out...
4093950406_8cb48d5493_o.jpg

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone expect a Wilson suspension for that hit? I get it, he's dirty. But he did get 3 games when the world thought 2 was right. So it's not like he's getting away with anything. With that said I didn't understand the 4 on 4, looked line it should have been a Vegas PP

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone expect a Wilson suspension for that hit? I get it, he's dirty. But he did get 3 games when the world thought 2 was right. So it's not like he's getting away with anything. With that said I didn't understand the 4 on 4, looked line it should have been a Vegas PP
Considering he's a repeat offender from only two rounds ago, I figured he would - and should - be suspended again.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the swallow the whistle idea in the playoffs and subscribe to it. But I don't buy for a second that happens every single time down the ice in a playoff game. People are being so critical for a reason, it was a huge missed call.

100% agree.

There is always some position jockeying down in those dirty areas. But the crosscheck was so blatant and with such a clear sight line for the refs that it's very surprising it wasn't called.

That said, Brent Johnson commented after the game that Carlson should have done a better job positioning himself perpendicular to Reaves to hold his position better. One of a number of mistakes we saw from the blue liners last night. Credit Vegas' speed and tenacity for giving them a handful. But they didn't do a very good job of positioning or of transitioning the puck to offense. I expect Vegas to keep playing well, but I think our guys will do a lot better on the back end. I thought Djoos played pretty well and would like to see him in there more.

The Caps have been behind at some point in every series this postseason (2-0 to COL, 1-0 to PIT, 3-2 to TB). No need for the panic button. Just study that tape and play your system, Caps.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In a vacuum, no it isn't suspendable. But he's been suspended three other times for dirty/late hits since July and you can argue he made two others this playoffs that should have at least gotten review. His reputation has riled a lot of people up.

It was a charge, blind side and late. All things the league claims to be wanting to stop. He should have at least got a talking to. But then again, Pronger got maybe 1/10th the "talkings to" he deserved, so... Marc Savard had a lot to say about it on TSN. It's the kind of hit that cost him a career.

As for the 4 on 4, it came about because Perron changed (bad change - he was the 6th on and no one was anywhere near coming off) and OV ran him over (questionable as to the timing of the whistle there too). He retaliated against OV with a crosscheck.

Honestly, that SHOULD have been a 4 on 3 for Caps or at least a reg PP. Perron was too many men AND a post whistle crosscheck. But all 8 sets of official eyes were on Wilson and Marchy, so no one caught the too many men. And they only called the crosscheck later. I don't think any refs or linesmen saw it. Not a stellar few minutes for the guys in stripes.

Of course there are some people frothing at the mouth that Perron should be suspended 10 games (no tolerance rule) for leaving the bench to join a scrum, which he did not do. He came off the bench, went after a puck, got hit from behind and retaliated as play was being blown dead. He did not come off the bench with any intention at all to engage anyone.

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And yet he hasn't learned to play by the rules :noidea:

I mean it's like a broken record. Another Caps game, another Wilson cheap shot.:nono: