• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Stanley Cup Finals: Washington Capitals vs. Las Vegas Golden Knights

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I totally get that history does, and should, play a part. But this was not a shot to the head, it was a clean hit that was a half a second late. Let's not get carried away here, it was a 2 minute penalty and nothing more regardless of who delivered it.

That was part of what Marc Savard and crew were saying on TSN. That Head contact should not be an factor in deciding clean or not. It can be a multiplier once a hit id deemed to be dirty when determining discipline, but not a get out of jail free card when a guy misses the head.

The hit that likely ended his career (the Cooke one) was a tad late, unnecessary and blind side hit. But the league only decided it was bad because his head was contacted.

Shooting at a person shouldn't be less of a crime because you miss them or only get a knee. You shouldn't have shot in the first place. So, as I said this on it's own is a two minute penalty and nothing more. Given who it was and how often it happens, and the fact the league is facing major concussion lawsuits, they should have done something. Before he really hurts someone.

Quick comment on TJ Oshie. I am gaining a new appreciation for him during this year's playoffs. Nice balance of scoring skill and sandpaper. Goes into the greasy areas. Would love to have him on my team, but, then I looked at his contract. Nevermind. Gotta give him props though for his performance. :thumb:

My dislike for Oshie goes back to when he was in St Louis and we were in their division. But damn, if he was on a reasonable deal I would take that punchable face in a second.

I'll just say this, I'd take Tom Wilson on the Flames. The Flames forward group needs the sandpaper and grit he brings to the lineup. Yeah, he needs to reign it in at times, but he also creates a lot of room for the talented forwards on the Caps to do their stuff.

Have I got a deal for you! A real GOD DAMNED HERO

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry, I have too much hate-a-rade for that guy.

dubinsky-gatorade1.gif

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like Tom Wilson! There I said it and I feel liberated. So many guys before him are lauded and loved for that style of play and Wilson is a villain. Was the hit late? Sure it was but some of you are acting like he should be in jail or something. I've seen worse this playoff season.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just say this, I'd take Tom Wilson on the Flames. The Flames forward group needs the sandpaper and grit he brings to the lineup. Yeah, he needs to reign it in at times, but he also creates a lot of room for the talented forwards on the Caps to do their stuff.

You don’t need another (goddamned) hero

You need a barely used, low mileage Matt Martin !

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like Tom Wilson! There I said it and I feel liberated. So many guys before him are lauded and loved for that style of play and Wilson is a villain. Was the hit late? Sure it was but some of you are acting like he should be in jail or something. I've seen worse this playoff season.

I love Wilson for this reason alone. Who was the last real villain the Caps had? Chris Simon?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Perron .... He did not come off the bench with any intention at all to engage anyone.
Perron never will come off the bench to engage anyone, because he is a giant pussy

Just one more reason why Calgary > Edmonton - Check out the Oilers fan on the far right below...

3-shots-sid-marry-me.jpg
very solid articulation of the difference between the Red Mile and Whyte Avenue

You would think that Wilson is getting close to knowing where that line is due to the penalties and suspensions he has received in this post season and the course of his career:noidea:
maybe he's just not that smart
Raffi Torres and Zack Kassian were always genuinely surprised when they would get disciplined for the same things over and over again.
I'll just say this, I'd take Tom Wilson on the Flames. The Flames forward group needs the sandpaper and grit he brings to the lineup.
you spelled "pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence" wrong.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was part of what Marc Savard and crew were saying on TSN. That Head contact should not be an factor in deciding clean or not. It can be a multiplier once a hit id deemed to be dirty when determining discipline, but not a get out of jail free card when a guy misses the head.

The hit that likely ended his career (the Cooke one) was a tad late, unnecessary and blind side hit. But the league only decided it was bad because his head was contacted.

Shooting at a person shouldn't be less of a crime because you miss them or only get a knee. You shouldn't have shot in the first place. So, as I said this on it's own is a two minute penalty and nothing more. Given who it was and how often it happens, and the fact the league is facing major concussion lawsuits, they should have done something. Before he really hurts someone.

My dislike for Oshie goes back to when he was in St Louis and we were in their division. But damn, if he was on a reasonable deal I would take that punchable face in a second.

The league already did "something" by giving Wilson 3 games when the hockey world saw no more than 2. You are overreacting because it's a guy with a history. They didn't even call a penalty on the ice, needed a conference. He got 2 minutes, he deserved 2 minutes and nothing more.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...e5d1c0-6366-11e8-99d2-0d678ec08c2f_story.html

GMGM always wanted Schmidt and when GMBM asked what it would take to lay off, he said Grubby and Wilson. He got laughed at.

But it does lead to an amusing thought; I would love to watch the defense of the "hard nosed" play if Wilson had crossed half a zone and blindsided OV or Backstrom :D Surely they would like they are praising Reaves for "making space" in the crease, right?

moot point anyway. Vegas doesn't get anywhere close to this far without Schmidt.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...e5d1c0-6366-11e8-99d2-0d678ec08c2f_story.html

GMGM always wanted Schmidt and when GMBM asked what it would take to lay off, he said Grubby and Wilson. He got laughed at.

But it does lead to an amusing thought; I would love to watch the defense of the "hard nosed" play if Wilson had crossed half a zone and blindsided OV or Backstrom :D Surely they would like they are praising Reaves for "making space" in the crease, right?

moot point anyway. Vegas doesn't get anywhere close to this far without Schmidt.

At least the caps know what's allowed now. Cross checks in the crease and head locks behind the net :suds:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least the caps know what's allowed now. Cross checks in the crease and head locks behind the net :suds:

Or, as Kevin Weekes called it: "pushing off before the defender dove" :rolleyes:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it does lead to an amusing thought; I would love to watch the defense of the "hard nosed" play if Wilson had crossed half a zone and blindsided OV or Backstrom :D

I think you are mischaracterizing most people's statements here who have acknowledged reckless or dirty play for starters. Nobody is saying Tom Wilson is a clean player. Nobody is arguing it wasn't a penalty. But how "dirty" it was and whether it was suspension worthy is surely within the realm of reasonable disagreement.

Comedic conclusion... OV and Backstrom wouldn't get blindsided like that, that's TJ Oshie's job.

Hopeful conclusion... I think Wilson is straying too far to the other side of the line lately. Come back, Tommy.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the Caps understood this from the start, based on the crosscheck to the face they applied behind their net in the first minute.

Point is, both sides are taking advantage of the no whistle approach.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point is, both sides are taking advantage of the no whistle approach.

I guess we'll see what happens tonight, methinks the refs will pull one guy out of a scrum to set the tone early that shenanigans are to be kept to a minimum. That or we could see Hudson Bay rules.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we'll see what happens tonight, methinks the refs will pull one guy out of a scrum to set the tone early that shenanigans are to be kept to a minimum. That or we could see Hudson Bay rules.

You could be right. Wilson seems to be the odds-on favorite, but could be Reaves to be used as the example.