• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stafford the stud!

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Rice make Montana or did Montana make Rice? It was neither. They both went to other teams and were successful, even in their advanced age. Staff and Megatron both need each other. They are both excellent players, who feed one another.

Could you please clarify this statement? I am not 100% sure of exactly what you are trying to say.

Rice was the clear beneficiary of having Roger Craig in the backfield, John Taylor on the opposite side and Brent Jones (I think that's right) at TE. Montana had other weapons all over the field to utilize. That's what gave Rice favorable match ups. If you are trying to imply that Rice beat the same type of coverages that CJ faces then you've gone completely mad.

That's like trying to say Emmitt Smith was a better RB than Barry was. Good luck finding anyone outside the state of Texas who thinks that was the case.

I think CJ is a monster on pretty much any team in the league with a capable QB (not superstar, but capable). Rice would still be a very good WR without Montana but he would not be one regarded as the best of all-time (a title he will only hold for another couple years before that passes to CJ). Try to imagine the numbers CJ would have put up playing on those great 49ers teams with all those other weapons. He hasnt had that luxury in Detroit.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If nothing else Stafford put the side-arm debate to rest yesterday. He was hitting windows that would have been impossible to throw overhand into. He was also extremely accurate throwing sidearm.

It's unconventional, but he's got the arm to do it effectively, so why not?

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could you please clarify this statement? I am not 100% sure of exactly what you are trying to say.

Rice was the clear beneficiary of having Roger Craig in the backfield, John Taylor on the opposite side and Brent Jones (I think that's right) at TE. Montana had other weapons all over the field to utilize. That's what gave Rice favorable match ups. If you are trying to imply that Rice beat the same type of coverages that CJ faces then you've gone completely mad.

That's like trying to say Emmitt Smith was a better RB than Barry was. Good luck finding anyone outside the state of Texas who thinks that was the case.

I think CJ is a monster on pretty much any team in the league with a capable QB (not superstar, but capable). Rice would still be a very good WR without Montana but he would not be one regarded as the best of all-time (a title he will only hold for another couple years before that passes to CJ). Try to imagine the numbers CJ would have put up playing on those great 49ers teams with all those other weapons. He hasnt had that luxury in Detroit.
Thumbs up. Making a post so everyone can see I gave it a thumbs up.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If nothing else Stafford put the side-arm debate to rest yesterday. He was hitting windows that would have been impossible to throw overhand into. He was also extremely accurate throwing sidearm.

It's unconventional, but he's got the arm to do it effectively, so why not?

Thumbs up. See above post.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford is and has been a franchise QB. They are so tough to come by. He is 24 years old? Already lighting the stats and has a stud WR to throw to!

We need a year apology thread for everyone that said the Lions should have drafted Curry or Smith!

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford is and has been a franchise QB. They are so tough to come by. He is 24 years old? Already lighting the stats and has a stud WR to throw to!

We need a year apology thread for everyone that said the Lions should have drafted Curry or Smith!

I apologize.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can have the Punk QB nickname from Jim McMahon, who was good enough to lead a team to a super bowl win.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or good enough to follow that defense to a championship... Trent Dilfer style...

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kreton, talk about cherry picking, geesh. CJ has went over 1600 yards TWICE in his career. The last two seasons. The only other time he went over 1300 yards Stafford was still in college. His three highest yardage seasons are also the only 3 times CJ has played all 16 games. (1964 yards led to four wins,.... Sweet.). You guys are really something else sometimes.

I wasnt cherry picking. Those are the years with Stafford vs without. And I show yards per game went up as well. Stafford makes CJ better.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He came in to today's game 15th in the NFL as far as completion percentage. That's just out of starters. Such "greats" as Terrelle Pryor, Tony Romo, Jay Cutler, Matt Ryan, Russel Wilson, Andy Dalton, Cam Newton, Jake Locker and Houston fan favorite Matt Schaub were all above him. That's not hate. That's just the facts folks. Ryan Tannehill occupied the next spot below him. (This was coming into today). If so many Lions fans weren't blind homers,(I mean ridiculously blind, blatant homers) when it comes to Staff, it probably wouldn't look like hate when various posters, myself DEFINITELY included, are critical of his game. I know most of those names are also beyond reproach, (thats hardcore sarcasm)so Ill try to never, ever, wish Stafford could improve. (I've never seen anyone on this board state they want him traded, cut or even benched. Never read anyone say he sucks or even that he isn't good. But I have read rational posts in regards to hoping he can stay consistent, make accurate throws downfield and improve his overall game). I respect what he did to bring the Lions back today. And appreciate the plays he made to do so. But in saying that, I don't forget the plays(really just one really bad slant pass to an open linebacker) he made, along with fumbles from Reggie and CJ, that forced Detroit to have to come back. We won, and Staff led the team to that win. That's really te only stat I care about. And to me, that stat is on the QB as much as the coaching staff. (I know it's usually just the Ls that go to coaches around here)

There have also been posters that have said he's good and will develop into elite. Not every pro stafford fan is a blind homer.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda like how I think he's good? Or good, but above criticism? Which seems is all too often the stance around here. Which appears to leave me in a very small minority.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his sidearm is fine and his accuracy will improve as he develops, i dont think you think hes bad but sometimes i wonder if you think he will be great. Honestly its hard to tell. I say this with respect, im really not sure. I do know you hate his sidearm. Theres definitely work to be done, i think he will get there, so leaving ambiguity for another time, straight up smitty, does he become one of the best or doesnt he? Just curious what you think, i value your opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. I'd like to think he continues to improve. I'd like to think he stops throwing 3/4 or sidearm over the middle like he did late in the first half Sunday. (1 got picked, one got batted at the line and thankfully(I almost said luckily, but didn't) fell to the turf.). I'd like to think we'll see more drives like the impressive one against the Bengals and the late awesome as fuck one against the 'boys. But I see things like the first half against Cincy and the entire GB game(no CJ, but no CJ shouldn't make me 100% certain were going to lose). And I think "Cmon man... youre a vet, not a rookie. hit your receivers!" I understand he is young despite his years in the league. It's a big upside. But.... I gotta see more consistency. Last weekend was a step in the right direction. He beat another talented QB(who got his ass beat like crazy) with question marks. Now he's got to beat Chicago, at Chicago. Which ain't easy. We've seen some stinkbombs from Staff at Soldier Field. (And a couple of CJs worst games, completely unrelated to Staff's performance). So, do I think he is a great? No, no I don't. I think there are four, or five if you're pushing it, great QBs in the league. Do, I think he could be great? Well... Yeah... I do honestly. But I don't know how many years I have wait for it to happen. He has the physical tools, no doubt in my mind there. Taking sacks actually made me happy, which might seem weird, but it did. We'll see if Linehan keeps the downfield portion of the play book open next time out. If he does, and there aren't 13 first half incompletions on overthrows (LP pointed out how they are overthrows away from defenders, wjich is a good point) and nervous impatience in the pocket, ill think things are heading in the right direction. But if not, don't worry, I won't shy away from sharing my opinion. (Jump balls to Calvin don't earn any credit. From me. Just want to state that for the record)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has to be hard to tell. Cuz it's hard for me to be sold on the idea he will be.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate when he goes all side arm! But if the Lions win he can throw it under hand for all I care.

Peete, Long, Ware, Case, Harrington, and a cast of many others. But I feel comfortable when the Lions kickoff they have a QB that can play with anybody in the league and he is still in his 20's.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate when he goes all side arm! But if the Lions win he can throw it under hand for all I care.

Peete, Long, Ware, Case, Harrington, and a cast of many others. But I feel comfortable when the Lions kickoff they have a QB that can play with anybody in the league and he is still in his 20's.

I get how Stafford looks better when compare to his predecessors. But none of them were #1 overall picks. And none took up as much cap space(or any cap space in some instances) as he does. It's not his fault the Lions couldn't win in 08 and got him with the old crazy rookie money system still in place. But my seemingly high demands are definitely affected by the amount of money/cap space he gets. And how much it hamstrings the franchises ability to bring in proven talent. (We're getting lucky at safety to get so much for so little)

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, do I think he is a great? No, no I don't. I think there are four, or five if you're pushing it, great QBs in the league. Do, I think he could be great? Well... Yeah... I do honestly.
Thanks for your honesty Smitty. It's been a bit difficult to read you(not your posts literally) here recently. And I agree whole heartedly with you that he isn't great yet. He's damn good, but has much to still learn and develop. He's definitely getting there.

My opinion is that we get so excited seeing what he CAN do, but he doesn't do it consistently enough. Add to the fact that we've had some shitty ass qbs in our past, that the moment we get something resembling great, we get all giddy and already wanna slap the label on him.

Staff has earned, in my book, the leader label. He's got great ability, a helluva an arm, and the confidence from his teammates. But I feel the things he lacks are developing, maybe just not as quick as everyone has hoped for.

And for the record, I for one love his sidearm action. We all get an opinion on that right? ;)

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something me and micro agree on is the side arm throw....I personally like it....Not every throw is text book depending on how the DL is forced outside or inside...Stafford is just throwing through a designed gap most of the time with a crossing WR or RB out of the flat.....I watched Brett Favre do it for over a decade and that's what made me hate him. He did what he had to do to get it to the WR/RB.....I for one like Stafford doing it to the other teams.