• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

St. Bonnie Nov 27th, Minnesota Nov 30th, KSU Dec 4th combined game threads

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
At the same time Seth has the Midas touch for PG/SG's. Zabian, Jamon Gordon, Hudson (before the injuries), Delany, Green, etc. All of those guys were "meh" recruits or worse and Seth made them into players... or they just became players on their own, who knows... either way, the luck was different with the smaller guys for some reason.

Just doesnt seem like post players are a big part of seth's offense.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just doesnt seem like post players are a big part of seth's offense.

We've never really had a legit 'big man,' and by that I mean a guy 6' 9"+ who is athletic and can move. Watching guys like Coleman, Victor, the Krabb-man, and Witcher bumble around and dribble off of their forehead is painful. I think they've never been a part of our offense for the simple fact that none of those guys were good enough or athletic enough to handle an offense being run through them.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
We've never really had a legit 'big man,' and by that I mean a guy 6' 9"+ who is athletic and can move. Watching guys like Coleman, Victor, the Krabb-man, and Witcher bumble around and dribble off of their forehead is painful. I think they've never been a part of our offense for the simple fact that none of those guys were good enough or athletic enough to handle an offense being run through them.

Right i get that, but for the short time i've been following BBall recruiting it doesnt seem like we offer many either. I just dont think the "big man" is a huge part of SG's system. Idk im not a huge follower of CBB (really just VT and only since joining the ACC) so i could be wrong, i just dont think "bigs" are a huge part of the gameplan on offense.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right i get that, but for the short time i've been following BBall recruiting it doesnt seem like we offer many either. I just dont think the "big man" is a huge part of SG's system. Idk im not a huge follower of CBB (really just VT and only since joining the ACC) so i could be wrong, i just dont think "bigs" are a huge part of the gameplan on offense.
Big guys that don't suck are very rare. BTW, we did try to recruit center for this year but he chose COC instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys are right that bigs aren't a large part of our offensive system. The question is, what exactly is our offensive system? I joke about it a lot but I swear I actually think sometimes that it really is "Hey, dribble around till 6 seconds are left and jack up a shot".

But yeah, Greenberg would benefit from hiring a post coach. Or at least send the bigs to an off season camp.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man. The Big Ten is dominating the ACC on the first night

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Repeat of last year. Big 10 is gonna win. The ACC has been going downhill for some reason.

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ACC seems like it's in a down year. Even Duke and UNC who are projected to have a good season have already proved they are beatable. There have been a lot of coaching changes in the ACC over the past 2 seasons. A lot of settling in and rebuilding could be going on.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk im not a huge follower of CBB (really just VT and only since joining the ACC) so i could be wrong, i just dont think "bigs" are a huge part of the gameplan on offense.
Jeff Allen was a big part of our offense last year. While he wasn't really a 'big', he got most of his scoring done in the post.
While Davilla hasn't really dominated, he has been a reliable scoring option at several key points for us this year. Imo, he's an example of a well coached big. His weaknesses (stone hands and bad FT shooting) are from "Between the shoulders" as Greenberg put it. You can't coach hands and FT shooting (to a certain extent.)

Raines just hasn't gotten his jump hook to go down consistently enough. Barksdale is coming along but he's not quite there defensively or rebounding the ball. Joey Van Zegeren is in the same boat as Barksdale. Bigs take much longer to develop than perimeter players and do not grow on trees. This is why 'bigs' will not play a big role this year. Our starting 5 has length but are 4 perimeter players and 1 Center.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Allen was a big part of our offense last year. While he wasn't really a 'big', he got most of his scoring done in the post.
While Davilla hasn't really dominated, he has been a reliable scoring option at several key points for us this year. Imo, he's an example of a well coached big. His weaknesses (stone hands and bad FT shooting) are from "Between the shoulders" as Greenberg put it. You can't coach hands and FT shooting (to a certain extent.)

Raines just hasn't gotten his jump hook to go down consistently enough. Barksdale is coming along but he's not quite there defensively or rebounding the ball. Joey Van Zegeren is in the same boat as Barksdale. Bigs take much longer to develop than perimeter players and do not grow on trees. This is why 'bigs' will not play a big role this year. Our starting 5 has length but are 4 perimeter players and 1 Center.

He was as big as our bigs seem to ever be and he was the best post player we've had under seth. My issue is he was virtually the same player all four years. He could score when he arrived. He had very soft hands and some pretty good post moves even in his first game (Elon? I should remembr since i was there but i cant). I think he scored 18 or so, nearly 10 rebounds, with a handful of assists and steals. That was his stat line all the way through. Maybe in his final two years he was always in foul trouble because all of the refs hated him or whatever, but his production was more or less the same.

Which is too bad, because if JA had become the player we hoped he would, we could have really done something these last two years.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Repeat of last year. Big 10 is gonna win. The ACC has been going downhill for some reason.

The ACC still has huge issues with coaching in both revenue sports. Beamer, Roy Williams, and Coach K are so much more accomplished than their peers. There is a monumental gap after them. Every other team in each sport has major flaws in their staffs. Some can recruit, some develop players, and some coach well on game day, but no others have proven to do all three on a consistent basis. High draft picks vs mediocre results yields a high coaching turnover, and is the symptom of horrible coaching.

Seth does an awesome job at building our program and promoting it in the shadow of football. Don't misunderstand that he has brought us to a level so much greater and more exciting than the days when I'd sit in an empty Cassell next to two guys dressed like wizards, watching us get beat down by UConn. However, when it's arguable that Seth Greenberg or Frank Hamilton could be the third best coach in the conference, there are huge problems.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Between their floor and our jerseys, i feel like we are wearing camo.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slow start again. Let's hack up crappy shots then not play defense woo!

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we run any offensive sets?

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and as with every game, I am obligated to say how much Davilla sucks.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

when he gets the ball in the post he 99% of the time forces the shot. he very rarely passes out of it. i cant believe he hasnt been coached not to do that.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Honestly after the first couple games i thought he had gotten better this year. :doh:

Side note: they have a Ralph Sampson III on their roster, Is that former whoVa player Ralph Sampsons son or grandson?

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, take Hudson out now. No excuse being a senior and making those two mistakes.
EDIT: Greenberg took him out immediately. The shot clock thing wasn't as bad because they made two passes before despite there only being seven seconds, but the double dribble was one of the worst mental mistakes I've seen all year.