• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 Games on Opening Night

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to believe we're a week and a half away from opening night. There are some really great games and other intriguing games when you dive deep into the schedule. I ranked the top 10 games on opening night:

1. #4 Duke vs. #2 Kentucky(Indianapolis, IN) – 9:30 – ESPN – It’s Duke/Kentucky no explanation needed.

2. #10 Michigan State vs. #1 Kansas(Indianapolis, IN) – 7:00 – ESPN – It’s Michigan State/KU again no explanation needed.

3. Florida at #17 Florida State – 9:00 – ESPN2 – Nice way to kick off the season with an in state rivalry game. FSU returns a lot from last years team that was a game away from making the Final Four. IF FSU gets good PG play, they could be right there knocking on the door of another FF. Florida might take a little bit of a step back this year with some of the personnel losses with Koulechov, Egbunu and Chiozza all graduating. They still have enough to make the tournament, but with the strength of the SEC, I think Florida is a bubble team most of the season, heading into selection Sunday.

4. Western Kentucky at #25 Washington – 10:30 – ESPNU – I have Western Kentucky pegged as the favorite in the C-USA. Washington returns a lot from a team last year that made the NIT. This is a good barometer for both teams. Western Kentucky is young, but extremely talented for a CUSA team. Washington has a lot of experience returning. This will be a really nice resume building win for whoever wins this game.

5. BYU at #7 Nevada – 11:00 – This should be somewhat of a test for a Nevada team that will be a team in transition with all the new pieces coming into the fold to join the Martin twins and Caroline. I said it early, but I really like this Nevada team to be a top 10 team all season long. They are really talented across the board. BYU will as usual be at worst a top 3 team in the WCC and potentially contend for 2nd place and a bid to the tournament. A win here would go a long way towards securing an at large.

5. #8 UNC at Wofford – 7:00 – ESPN2 – We all remember what happened last year when Wofford knocked off UNC in Chapel Hill. Wofford returns most of that team from last year, and this time UNC comes to town. Credit to UNC for scheduling a good mid major opponent on the road. Needless to say it doesn’t happen very often. This could also potentially be a trip up spot for UNC as they lose both Berry and Pinson, and will need to lean on some guys who are inexperienced.

7. UMBC at Marquette – 9:00 – This is on the list mostly due to what happened in the tournament last year with UMBC knocking off UVA. UMBC does have to replace their backcourt, so I’m not expecting to close of a game, but it will still be interesting to see the atmosphere/reception UMBC gets in this road game. Another reason I’m not expecting much of a game is because I think Marquette takes a big step up this season. I think by the end of the season Marquette will be a top 20 team if not better.

8. Rider at UCF – 7:00 – I have Rider pegged as my favorite in the MAAC heading into the season. They return their top 6 scorers and have Ahmad Gilbert, a transfer from Minnesota eligible this season to provide even more depth. UCF could be a potential champion in the AAC given what the Wichita State and Cincinnati have lost off of last years teams, respectively. It will be interesting to see how Rider will try and stop Tacko Fall, as they are extremely small.

9. FGCU at Illinois State – 9:00 – This is a match up of two teams that will be at the top of their respective leagues, if not win them. FGCU will be right there with Lipscomb as the favorites in the A-Sun. They have been the best program in the A-Sun going on the last 6 years. Illinois State has been an upper half MVC team for the last couple years and have some good returning talent in Yarbrough, Evans and Fayne. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Illinois State take the MVC from Loyola(Ch)

10. Grand Canyon at South Dakota State – 8:00 – This game rounds out the top 10. Not only does it feature one of the best players in the country in South Dakota State’s Mike Daum, it also features two teams that could potentially find themselves in the tournament at the end of the year. South Dakota State is the overwhelming favorite to win the Summit League this year, remains to be seen if they manage to avoid an upset in the league tournament. Grand Canyon will be right there with New Mexico State in the WAC. I’d lean slightly towards Grand Canyon winning the league with some of the losses New Mexico State will have to overcome, but they should be 1a and 1b in the WAC.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wake Forest vs A&T for triad supremacy should be #1 on this list

even though it is on a saturday

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11) Michigan vs Norfolk St

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got to be honest here, until just now I didn't even know who we played

We host Idaho State to start out the year

Gohogs14

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We start off with Texas in El Paso. 9 newcomers this year so could be some growing pains.

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee playing something called Lenoir Rhyne should be a ruckus old time.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure it will, Herro had an off night. Really interested to see how the matchups go. Duke has a super talented first five, UK is nine deep and strong up front. Duke will need to stay out of foul trouble

I don't think Duke will be able to score effectively against Kentucky, with most likely, starting 4 freshman and questionable shooting from the perimeter. Kentucky has the experience edge as well. Which I think will come into play, especially in the 1st game of the year.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Duke will be able to score effectively against Kentucky, with most likely, starting 4 freshman and questionable shooting from the perimeter. Kentucky has the experience edge as well. Which I think will come into play, especially in the 1st game of the year.
I think Duke has guys that will definitely be able to score. UK's biggest advantage will be their depth in the post. With RT, EJ, PJ and Richards, UK is tough and deep down low

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sure UK will be favored, probably 5-6 points

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee playing something called Lenoir Rhyne should be a ruckus old time.

That's because Tennessee head coach Rick Barnes played basketball at Lenoir-Rhyne (Hickory, NC) and they get paid to play UT

brandonk989

Hoopla Cash
$ 965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expectations are high in Tallahassee this year. Leonard Hamilton is not well liked but after an Elite 8 run last year and returning just about everyone, this team needs to perform. I think Terrance Mann and Phil Cofer have big ears for the Noles and I love that we open with a good test against Florida. That being said, I think we make a statement and win by 15.

Galway Eagle

Chicago > Milwaukee > Galway
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expectations are high in Tallahassee this year. Leonard Hamilton is not well liked but after an Elite 8 run last year and returning just about everyone, this team needs to perform. I think Terrance Mann and Phil Cofer have big ears for the Noles and I love that we open with a good test against Florida. That being said, I think we make a statement and win by 15.

Out of curiosity why isn't he well liked? He's given you guys some decent years to be proud of and you're more of a football school than B-ball so it's not like the expectation is Duke level success... is it?

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of curiosity why isn't he well liked? He's given you guys some decent years to be proud of and you're more of a football school than B-ball so it's not like the expectation is Duke level success... is it?

Hamilton gets a lot of flack, but he's been at FSU 17 seasons now and he has a decent resume:

Winningest Coach in Florida State History (282 wins)
8th All-Time Winningest Coach in ACC History (282 wins)
2009 Basketball Times National Coach of the Year
2000 BCA National Coach of the Year
1995 UPI National Coach of the Year
2009 and 2012 ACC Coach of the Year
1995 and 1999 Big East Coach of the Year
,and not to mention a 2017 Elite 8 finish

I'd say he's done a pretty damn good job with FSU. And with a senior laden squad returning they probably do have higher than normal expectations in Tallahassee. Cofer, Mann, Savoy, Sophomore returnee Walker, and another Senior Grad Transfer David Nichols from Albany give the Noles reason for high expectations. Make no mistake, they're loaded.

brandonk989

Hoopla Cash
$ 965.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton gets a lot of flack, but he's been at FSU 17 seasons now and he has a decent resume:

Winningest Coach in Florida State History (282 wins)
8th All-Time Winningest Coach in ACC History (282 wins)
2009 Basketball Times National Coach of the Year
2000 BCA National Coach of the Year
1995 UPI National Coach of the Year
2009 and 2012 ACC Coach of the Year
1995 and 1999 Big East Coach of the Year
,and not to mention a 2017 Elite 8 finish

I'd say he's done a pretty damn good job with FSU. And with a senior laden squad returning they probably do have higher than normal expectations in Tallahassee. Cofer, Mann, Savoy, Sophomore returnee Walker, and another Senior Grad Transfer David Nichols from Albany give the Noles reason for high expectations. Make no mistake, they're loaded.

The knock on Ham around Tally is that he's a great recruiter but not so great of a coach. You look at teams with Issac and Bacon getting drummed in the round of 32. But then again look at his resume like you said and it's tough to argue with what he's done.

Side note, Phil Cofer is out for what could be 6 weeks. Injured his foot at practice last week.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d be shocked if it’s that much

Oddsmaker currently has UK as a 1.5 favorite. Little closer than I thought it would. If I were to bet I take UK to cover.