• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Square peg into round holes.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone seems to be wondering what is wrong with our team. At 3-7 the theories fly ranging from coaching to team chemistry. Unfortunately, most overlook what is obviously true about the make-up of the team. Trying to fit square peg into round holes is what is wrong with this team. Here's what I mean.

Offensive side of the ball:

P. Garcon........Is NOT a #1 receiver, his claim to fame has been as a #2, We'll do well to realize this develop or acquire a true #1 threat and move him back to his more familiar role.

The entire offensive line (T. Williams excepted) makes no sense in the ZB scheme, too small too slow against todays defenses. (can't wait for all the stats to come pouring in to counter this) Stats and record might be better is they were bigger, faster.

R. Grossman........Why is he still here??? taking roster spot from someone who could actually contribute.

*(SN) Following sports in general, there are two big reasons why RGIII should not have played this year.
1. NO off season work with offense.
2. He got married......seems that the season an athlete gets married his production falls way off, (living together previously included) no matter what the sport. NO real stats to support this just historical observations.

** reason to start him however, second year athletes learn a great deal in their second year, unfortunately through mistakes.

TE (particularly F. Davis).......This is either a coaching/ management issue or something not publicly known. If blocking is his issue then, work his behind on his blocking issues until he throws up, then work him some more. The dual threat of Davis and Reed is far better than Reed and the almost one dimensional TE's currently starting.

Defensive side of the ball:

L. Fletcher.......Should have retired (or made to) after last season, he doesn't fit anymore, time to admit it.

B. Orakpo and R. Kerrigan.......Both outstanding DE's in school, so what's done, make them linebackers. Take away their strengths and again attempt to fit square pegs into round holes.

D. Hall.....Granted he's playing lights out mostly this season, however, at this point in his career and development of the team, he should be manning the slot. Is it time to call up C. Minnifield and a few others from the practice squad and get some live experience??? Well, maybe after another loss or two If there 's gonna be another loss or two.

J. Haslett.........Talk about your square peg into a round hole........isn't it true that as a defensive coach his calling card states 4-3 defense?

Finally, K. Shanahan.........Love this guy and his ability to coach offense, all he needs is an competent offensive line, and players who can catch the ball. I'm betting if subjected to truth serum he would tell you that the offensive line is designed using his father's desires not his own. (see:Dads Washington, Denver, O-lines vs. His at Houston)

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are 100% right. Rex Grossman is the issue.

Open season, gentlemen.....commence firing!

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone seems to be wondering what is wrong with our team. At 3-7 the theories fly ranging from coaching to team chemistry. Unfortunately, most overlook what is obviously true about the make-up of the team. Trying to fit square peg into round holes is what is wrong with this team. Here's what I mean.

P. Garcon........Is NOT a #1 receiver, his claim to fame has been as a #2, We'll do well to realize this develop or acquire a true #1 threat and move him back to his more familiar role.

The entire offensive line (T. Williams excepted) makes no sense in the ZB scheme, too small too slow against todays defenses. (can't wait for all the stats to come pouring in to counter this) Stats and record might be better is they were bigger, faster.

R. Grossman........Why is he still here??? taking roster spot from someone who could actually contribute.

*(SN) Following sports in general, there are two big reasons why RGIII should not have played this year.
1. NO off season work with offense.
2. He got married......seems that the season an athlete gets married his production falls way off, (living together previously included) no matter what the sport. NO real stats to support this just historical observations.

** reason to start him however, second year athletes learn a great deal in their second year, unfortunately through mistakes.

TE (particularly F. Davis).......This is either a coaching/ management issue or something not publicly known. If blocking is his issue then, work his behind on his blocking issues until he throws up, then work him some more. The dual threat of Davis and Reed is far better than Reed and the almost one dimensional TE's currently starting.

L. Fletcher.......Should have retired (or made to) after last season, he doesn't fit anymore, time to admit it.

B. Orakpo and R. Kerrigan.......Both outstanding DE's in school, so what's done, make them linebackers. Take away their strengths and again attempt to fit square pegs into round holes.

D. Hall.....Granted he's playing lights out mostly this season, however, at this point in his career and development of the team, he should be manning the slot. Is it time to call up C. Minnifield and a few others from the practice squad and get some live experience??? Well, maybe after another loss or two If there 's gonna be another loss or two.

J. Haslett.........Talk about your square peg into a round hole........isn't it true that as a defensive coach his calling card states 4-3 defense?

Finally, K. Shanahan.........Love this guy and his ability to coach offense, all he needs is an competent offensive line, and players who can catch the ball. I'm betting if subjected to truth serum he would tell you that the offensive line is designed using his father's desires not his own. (see:Dads Washington, Denver, O-lines vs. His at Houston)

1) disagree about garcon he is a number one and is on pace to catch 108 balls
2) the offense has been ranked 6th or better for 2 years so how bad is it ? number one vs rush . can we use an upgrade ? sure
3) we arent 3-7 because Rex is inactive
4) You have to give Rg3 snaps or why draft him . the married thing is foolishness
5)LBF is done good call
6) Rak and Kerrigan are have Been Pro bowl Olbs the DC needs to use them better and move them around (see my defensive assessment thread )
7) agree on hall
8)agree on DC

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) disagree about garcon he is a number one and is on pace to catch 108 balls
2) the offense has been ranked 6th or better for 2 years so how bad is it ? number one vs rush . can we use an upgrade ? sure
3) we arent 3-7 because Rex is inactive
4) You have to give Rg3 snaps or why draft him . the married thing is foolishness
5)LBF is done good call
6) Rak and Kerrigan are have Been Pro bowl Olbs the DC needs to use them better and move them around (see my defensive assessment thread )
7) agree on hall
8)agree on DC

1.OK, we can agree to disagree on Garcon. You're right about his pace this season, but honestly, who game plans for him like other #1 receivers??

2. No real argument from me on this one, agree to upgrade (my original point)

3. ?????? Who said this?? Point was Rex is taking up space, space that could be better served by someone who actually contributes to better play on the field.

4. Yeah I agree with the giving him snaps thing. You have to admit that 2nd year pro QB's generally hit that "learn by mistake wall" though. I know that it's a crap thing to say about marriage, but check it out. Google any athlete (tiger Woods for example) and compare their stats before and after marriage........it's spooky!!!

5. So stipulated

6.They have been pro-bowl players, but honestly, neither covers very well in the passing game. Better to have true linebackers play the position.

7 & 8. So stipulated

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"OK, we can agree to disagree on Garcon. You're right about his pace this season, but honestly, who game plans for him like other #1 receivers??"

Seriously? He is the only WRs that other teams do game plan for. He is double teamed almost every route. Who else are they game planning??? Morgan? Hank? Moss?

He is a legit #1 WR. He may not be the best in the league but he is arguably in the top 10 or so.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What qualifies as a #1 WR? How many #1s are actually in the league if he's not one? Garcon is #8 in receiving yards, #3 in receptions, and #3 in YAC.

We run a ZBS which is predicated on speed and not size. Our OL is actually only capable of the ZBS. We have one of the quickest OLs in the game. If you want bigger and faster, you have to pay more money...which means less money elsewhere.

He's here because he's the #3 QB (probably the best #3 in football). We have a QB that is not even a year removed from destroying his knee. Would you rather only carry 2 QBs? Who would you replace him with that would actually see the field?

The only reason that matters: RG3 is a second year player with a second year backup who performed admirably in his stead. The last thing you do is destroy RG3's confidence by making him backup the guy drafted 3 rounds after him.

Davis has done nothing to deserve the benefit of the doubt. He's a year removed from an Achilles tear. What makes you think he's still "Fred Davis?" Jordan Reed has been far more impressive as a rookie than Davis was...and I liked Davis.

I think most of us do admit this; however, could you have predicted it before the season? He was a pro-bowler last season. Who would you have replaced him with and at what cost? There was nothing here.

99% of NFL OLBs in the 3-4 were collegiate DEs. You say it takes away their strengths but RAK is a 2 time pro-bowler and he's never played DE in the NFL. Many question whether he's big enough to do so and that's why he was converted to OLB in a 4-3 as a rookie. Kerrigan made the pro-bowl last season as an OLB.

Why? At this point in his career? Do you have any idea how old DHALL is? After this statement, I'd have to say you have no idea. BTW, Minnifield is the better choice for the slot.

While I agree he's a square peg, he does have experience in the 3-4 as well. I'm all for replacing him but let's not pretend he wasn't put in a bad position because the team was so poor when he got here.

Finally, K. Shanahan.........Love this guy and his ability to coach offense, all he needs is an competent offensive line, and players who can catch the ball. I'm betting if subjected to truth serum he would tell you that the offensive line is designed using his father's desires not his own. (see:Dads Washington, Denver, O-lines vs. His at Houston)[/QUOTE]

The OL is designed by cap restraints and lack of availability of talent. What would you have done differently in formulation of this OL? Keep in mind, the ZBS was also ran in Houston where he was OC.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.OK, we can agree to disagree on Garcon. You're right about his pace this season, but honestly, who game plans for him like other #1 receivers??

2. No real argument from me on this one, agree to upgrade (my original point)

3. ?????? Who said this?? Point was Rex is taking up space, space that could be better served by someone who actually contributes to better play on the field.

4. Yeah I agree with the giving him snaps thing. You have to admit that 2nd year pro QB's generally hit that "learn by mistake wall" though. I know that it's a crap thing to say about marriage, but check it out. Google any athlete (tiger Woods for example) and compare their stats before and after marriage........it's spooky!!!

5. So stipulated

6.They have been pro-bowl players, but honestly, neither covers very well in the passing game. Better to have true linebackers play the position.

7 & 8. So stipulated
no linebackers cover well on shady mccoys also rak is a 5 year vet as a OLB and Kerrigan a 3 years vet

cant see them being anything less then pro OLBs