• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sproles to Philly

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to be one of the dumbest trades I've ever seen

The Saints WILL see this dude again, and not in a good mood

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to be one of the dumbest trades I've ever seen

The Saints WILL see this dude again, and not in a good mood

Yup.. Chip Kelly is going to have a great time putting together new offensive schemes w both McCoy and Sproles. Love this pickup. Any idea what pick we gave up?:yahoo:

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5th round pick

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great deal for Philly. :nod:

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How high on Vicoden are the Saints right now.

fearthepelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised the Saints were able to get that much for him, I expected a 7th rounder or an outright release.

Sproles is on the decline, and NO needs the cap room.

Last edited by a moderator:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised the Saints were able to get that much for him, I expected a 7th rounder or an outright release.

Sproles is on the decline, and NO needs the cap room.

Have to agree with this. A 5th round for a guy that is losing his speed whose whole game is based on his speed and elusiveness seems pretty high price. Especially when considering they were somewhat ready to cut him outright. I like Sproles plenty and I do think he will be a weapon in a Chip Kelly ran offense just think you could have gotten a younger version of Sproles with a guy like Dri Archer in the 5th round for much cheaper.

John

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to agree with this. A 5th round for a guy that is losing his speed whose whole game is based on his speed and elusiveness seems pretty high price. Especially when considering they were somewhat ready to cut him outright. I like Sproles plenty and I do think he will be a weapon in a Chip Kelly ran offense just think you could have gotten a younger version of Sproles with a guy like Dri Archer in the 5th round for much cheaper.
He has ONE year left on his contract. If he doesn't pan out, they can just cut him. They can live with losing a FIFTH round pick for the gamble. Besides, they have another one.
The defense should be the main priority in the draft.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has ONE year left on his contract. If he doesn't pan out, they can just cut him. They can live with losing a FIFTH round pick for the gamble. Besides, they have another one.
The defense should be the main priority in the draft.

I understand that. Just think the team could have taken a chance on Dri Archer or even Chip's old boy De'Anthony Thomas. You then have a lot younger version of what you hope Sproles will be at a lot cheaper price. Plus have them locked in for like 4-years.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sproles is much better than you're likely to get with a fifth round pick.

John

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that. Just think the team could have taken a chance on Dri Archer or even Chip's old boy De'Anthony Thomas. You then have a lot younger version of what you hope Sproles will be at a lot cheaper price. Plus have them locked in for like 4-years.
They still have a fifth round pick if they would want to draft Archer or Thomas.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like the move for PHI...You're right Sproles is slowing down, not a 20 touch a game player, but with Shady he doesn't have to be. You don't sneeze at 5th rd picks, but they have 150 & 157 in the 5th.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sproles fell off a bit. But if he's anywhere close to what he's been, the move is a total grand slam for the Eagles with Chip Kelly. Simple as that

SickFelonIsGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, because it is so easy to find a Darren Sproles anywhere, let alone in the 5th round......

Tell me again, how many players in the league right now that are similar to Sproles that are producing as much? Woodhead? Finally produced a season similar to what Sproles has been putting up for years, in his 7th season. But isn't the same weapon as Sproles in the return game. McCluster? Lesser but similar weapon in the receiving game, but not in the run game. Similar returners. Finally got some recognition though, but still not on Sproles level. How about some others that were supposed to be like him in LaMichael James? Nope. Or Kenjon Barner? Still early, but nope.

I mean, since it was a waste of 5th round pick, and so easy to get a younger version of him instead in the 5th, it should be easy for you to name off some that are like him and produce like him, right? Every team should have one already.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because it is so easy to find a Darren Sproles anywhere, let alone in the 5th round......

Tell me again, how many players in the league right now that are similar to Sproles that are producing as much? Woodhead? Finally produced a season similar to what Sproles has been putting up for years, in his 7th season. But isn't the same weapon as Sproles in the return game. McCluster? Lesser but similar weapon in the receiving game, but not in the run game. Similar returners. Finally got some recognition though, but still not on Sproles level. How about some others that were supposed to be like him in LaMichael James? Nope. Or Kenjon Barner? Still early, but nope.

I mean, since it was a waste of 5th round pick, and so easy to get a younger version of him instead in the 5th, it should be easy for you to name off some that are like him and produce like him, right? Every team should have one already.

You completely misunderstood his point. Guys that are Sproles size don't last very long in the NFL. He has A LOT of miles for a small guy. Sproles skills are declining as evidence by last years production. I think taking a chance on a young talent in the middle to late rounds would have been an equal gamble. Personally, I would take a shot at the young guy because of the short shelf life of NFL RB's. Heck, look what the Cardinals got when they drafted Andre Ellington in the 6th round last year.

And to answer your question, There were 34 players with more all purpose yards than Darrin Sproles last year. Not very impressive.

SickFelonIsGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You completely misunderstood his point. Guys that are Sproles size don't last very long in the NFL. He has A LOT of miles for a small guy. Sproles skills are declining as evidence by last years production. I think taking a chance on a young talent in the middle to late rounds would have been an equal gamble. Personally, I would take a shot at the young guy because of the short shelf life of NFL RB's. Heck, look what the Cardinals got when they drafted Andre Ellington in the 6th round last year.

And to answer your question, There were 34 players with more all purpose yards than Darrin Sproles last year. Not very impressive.

A lot of miles? He has been used primarily as a 3rd down back his entire career. Guys his size don't last long? You are right, because none of them usually make anything of themselves. His skills are declining and yet he still had, and yet his receiving yards and avg are close to what they were the past 3 years. His rushing attempts and yards are down from 2 years ago because the Saints have 4 RBs, and Sproles is more of a pass catching RB. His rushing average dipped, but still a respectable 4.2. Which doesn't matter anyway, because he won't be asked to rush in the Eagles offense. We have 3 RBs already better at carrying the ball. KRs are down across the league because the NFL moved the kickoff up, and it is even worse for Sproles because he played in a dome which is pretty much an automatic kick out of the endzone. His PRs are similar to what his past numbers are. Did I cover everything?

Wait, 1 more thing....... What RBs that are similar to his build and style besides the 2 I named earlier (McCluster and Woodhead) came even close to his type of production in his old age declining year? You didn't answer this either because you have nothing, because it doesn't happen. You can make the dumb decision and waste a 5th on hopes and dreams that a player similar to Sproles can duplicate what he has accomplished. I would rather spend a 5th on a sure thing for the production he gave even in his declining year.

The funny thing is, he won't even be counted on as much as he did in New Orleans, because we have way more weapons than New Orleans does. He is just another weapon to get teams to worry about, and have a hard time covering. You keep thinking it was a bad trade though. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait. Philly has more weapons than NO? :scratch:

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of miles? He has been used primarily as a 3rd down back his entire career. Guys his size don't last long? You are right, because none of them usually make anything of themselves. His skills are declining and yet he still had, and yet his receiving yards and avg are close to what they were the past 3 years. His rushing attempts and yards are down from 2 years ago because the Saints have 4 RBs, and Sproles is more of a pass catching RB. His rushing average dipped, but still a respectable 4.2. Which doesn't matter anyway, because he won't be asked to rush in the Eagles offense. We have 3 RBs already better at carrying the ball. KRs are down across the league because the NFL moved the kickoff up, and it is even worse for Sproles because he played in a dome which is pretty much an automatic kick out of the endzone. His PRs are similar to what his past numbers are. Did I cover everything?

Wait, 1 more thing....... What RBs that are similar to his build and style besides the 2 I named earlier (McCluster and Woodhead) came even close to his type of production in his old age declining year? You didn't answer this either because you have nothing, because it doesn't happen. You can make the dumb decision and waste a 5th on hopes and dreams that a player similar to Sproles can duplicate what he has accomplished. I would rather spend a 5th on a sure thing for the production he gave even in his declining year.

The funny thing is, he won't even be counted on as much as he did in New Orleans, because we have way more weapons than New Orleans does. He is just another weapon to get teams to worry about, and have a hard time covering. You keep thinking it was a bad trade though. LOL

I love when sensitive guy gets all defensive to protect his teams honor. Relax man, I was just giving my opinion. The original point wasn't about Sproles build and style. It was about a teams decision to take a 30 year old small running back over the potential of a younger guy in the mid to late rounds. Personally, I would rather take a shot at the younger guy because the NFL is a young mans league.

You can't dispute the fact that since 2011, Sproles production has dropped. And yes he has A LOT of mileage. Last year alone he was on the field for over 450 snaps. He has been in the league for 9 years. The last 3 years he has been the top back in New Orleans. That's a lot of mileage for an aging running back.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also got a two-year extension which keeps him in Philly for 3 years.