• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sprint Race Qualifying coming to F1 next year

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, they are taking out a free practice, still having a knockout quali, moving Parc ferme up a session and racing 1/3rd distance to set the grid for Sunday.

So the fastest cars will still be at the front, streak off into the distance and still start the race from the front. The only thing this will accomplish is more wear and tear on parts that are regulated as to how many you can use. And possibly destroy a car or injure a driver for no real reason.

:thumb:

I can't wait until one of the top teams gets their car torn up by someone being an idiot in the sprint race and it affecting the championship. This will have zero effect on the top teams. Whoever gets to turn 1 first will not get attacked. Better to get 2 bonus points for second than no points at all.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of gimmicky and the shine will wear off quickly if say another Russell-Bottas incident takes place.

They will just barely have those guys driving after 2 weeks, let alone after 16 hours.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what exactly is sprint racing?

are they saying basically they are having heat races for starting positions?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what exactly is sprint racing?

are they saying basically they are having heat races for starting positions?

Most F1 races are 300 KM plus one lap. With mandated pit stops.

This will be 100 KM plus one lap. With no mandated pit stops.

And the Qualifying from the day before sets the grid for the sprint race.

And the Sprint race sets the grid for the main race on Sunday.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most F1 races are 300 KM plus one lap. With mandated pit stops.

This will be 100 KM plus one lap. With no mandated pit stops.

And the Qualifying from the day before sets the grid for the sprint race.

And the Sprint race sets the grid for the main race on Sunday.
Weird.
I mean we did heat races at our local Dirt tracks, when there were a ton of cars, but I guess because I am not an F1 guy. This seems crazy.
Risking whatever these cars cost for a heat race to determine starting positions. Also do these teams carry extra cars for the wrecks that will be coming? I assume this wasnt the car owners idea.
I mean a repair bill to a dirt car vs. an F1 car. Couldnt even imagine.
Are F1 engines built to go the extra distance that weekend? I really dont know the reliability of them.
I know stock car engines if they are going 500 miles that weekend are built to make it about 520 miles before they start breaking.

I guess because I dont follow F1 in depth. It doesnt make sense to me, but I guess it will be interesting. (sounds costly)

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird.
I mean we did heat races at our local Dirt tracks, when there were a ton of cars, but I guess because I am not an F1 guy. This seems crazy.
Risking whatever these cars cost for a heat race to determine starting positions. Also do these teams carry extra cars for the wrecks that will be coming? I assume this wasnt the car owners idea.
I mean a repair bill to a dirt car vs. an F1 car. Couldnt even imagine.
Are F1 engines built to go the extra distance that weekend? I really dont know the reliability of them.
I know stock car engines if they are going 500 miles that weekend are built to make it about 520 miles before they start breaking.

I guess because I dont follow F1 in depth. It doesnt make sense to me, but I guess it will be interesting. (sounds costly)

Wrecks are a huge argument against it. The Bottas/Russell wreck hurt MB. With this spending cap they had to invest in rebuilding this year's car. And it wasn't rebuilt overnight.

The engine life question is valid too seeing how they are limited in numbers per year and get penalized for going over.