• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training thread!

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kinda hard to find fault with Torrealba's game yesterday when the guys can't find the strike zone. Robbie Ross was the only pitcher who had anything going for him yesterday. Mike Adams couldn't find the zone and was only hitting 88 with the fastball. Yu looked ordinary and the BP lefties we have seen are terrible so far. Some of this pitch selection has a lot to do with the pitching coach and his instructions than what the catcher is or isn't doing.
Bad pitching blows 7 run leads.

Yea ... I should know better ... probably should just disregard what we are seeing until we get down to the last 10 days.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feliz looks like he had a better outing. 3ip/4 hits/1 run/1er/3k/1bb

Not stellar but not bad. All I want to see from him right now is progress. 3k in three innings with one run and one free pass is very acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

Feliz threw 47 pitches -- 32 for strikes -- in the Rangers' 6-1 loss to the Colorado Rockies.

He threw first-strike pitches to seven of the 12 batters he faced and had only three three-ball counts. More important, he threw only 20 fastballs; the other 27 pitches were comprised of curveballs, sliders and changeups.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feliz threw 47 pitches -- 32 for strikes -- in the Rangers' 6-1 loss to the Colorado Rockies.

He threw first-strike pitches to seven of the 12 batters he faced and had only three three-ball counts. More important, he threw only 20 fastballs; the other 27 pitches were comprised of curveballs, sliders and changeups.

That many strikes with that many secondary pitches is exactly what he needs to have happen. Needs to get trust in his pitches.

As for our other pitchers, it's still ST. They are up there nibbling and tweaking, testing things out. ST is for hitters to get in shape and pitchers to try out whatever they tinkered with in the offseason. I'm not worried

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That many strikes with that many secondary pitches is exactly what he needs to have happen. Needs to get trust in his pitches.

As for our other pitchers, it's still ST. They are up there nibbling and tweaking, testing things out. ST is for hitters to get in shape and pitchers to try out whatever they tinkered with in the offseason. I'm not worried

I don't think anyone's too worried.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darvish's third start against the Brewers will be on fox sw tomorrow at 3 central time.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Darvish's third ST start on fox SW. Darvish Doing okay so far. He had a nasty first inning striking out two and retiring the side in order. He allowed one hit, a run, a bb, and a hit batsmen in the second. The one hit was a little chopper that got through, but Darvish got his grounder just well placed. Then struck out izturis. He's still trying to get a feel for the baseball off and on, but is improving and his stuff is nasty. He'll be ready to roll by the start of the season.

Also you will be pleased to know Kinsler hit a lead off double by editing on a pitch and driving it into the right-center gap. He really looks like he's working on not being a complete pull hitter.

Josh is still in his swing at anything and everything rut. Elvis is 2-2 so far and looks really good.

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back and forth outing for Darvish. Retired the side in order in the third, but walked two in the fourth. However, he threw a nasty pitch to get a broken bat dp to get out of the fourth unscathed. 4k's but also 4 free passes. You could tell he's still figuring out the strike zone and still getting a feel for the baseball. TAG said the dry air has been making it difficult for him to get the grip he wants. I think he'll be very good when it's go time. All the raw stuff you want to see is there and I think it will all click by the end of ST.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubtful. We're still three weeks away from opening day and four from Feliz's first start. He was pulled simply as a precaution. The three scoreless innings are encouraging as well.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas vs Cincy on MLB network.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one thinks I'm a Torrealba fan, but he is looking better so far. Doesn't move around as much back there, so far at least, and showed great arm strength on that 2nd inning pickoff attempt at 2nd

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Feldman looked good last night. His fastball had some giddy up on it and his curveball was the best I can recall. Joe Nathan was bringing it, too. Mark Lowe continues to be homer prone. What a disappointment this guy is. I really thought he would blossom when he came here.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Feldman looked good last night. His fastball had some giddy up on it and his curveball was the best I can recall. Joe Nathan was bringing it, too. Mark Lowe continues to be homer prone. What a disappointment this guy is. I really thought he would blossom when he came here.

I was glad to see Scooter doing well. He seemed to have moments where he was nibbling too much, but this is ST so that is to be expected. Glad to see a good outing by Nathan. Lowe is hit or miss. Sometimes he looks great like a couple of nights ago and then there are night like last night where he seemed to be throwing a beach ball up there. Just didn't have anything in the tank last night.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was glad to see Scooter doing well. He seemed to have moments where he was nibbling too much, but this is ST so that is to be expected. Glad to see a good outing by Nathan. Lowe is hit or miss. Sometimes he looks great like a couple of nights ago and then there are night like last night where he seemed to be throwing a beach ball up there. Just didn't have anything in the tank last night.

Yep, if Lowe sticks he may not be more than a mop up guy. Somebody you put in when you have a big lead or when you're getting your brains beat out.
Feldman gives us the option of keeping Ogando in the BP in case a starter (Feliz's shoulder or Colby's hip) can't go.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, if Lowe sticks he may not be more than a mop up guy. Somebody you put in when you have a big lead or when you're getting your brains beat out.
Feldman gives us the option of keeping Ogando in the BP in case a starter (Feliz's shoulder or Colby's hip) can't go.

I honestly would prefer Feldman be the sp insurance policy over ogando. I like ogando too much as a dominant setup man.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

TEX is going to keep both Feldman and Ogando as insurance against Feliz (and Darvish) being new and Coby's hip. Feldman being the first to get starts ... or even rotation spot ... since that's where TEX money is being spent. Ogando would be second to move to the rotation.

I think Tateyama has earned a spot. He's different enough of a look that he would get a spot over Lowe. So the last spot comes down to whether TEX can move Uehara to make room for Ross. I don't see them moving Uehara to make room for Kirkman. Only way Kirkman gets a spot is if TEX selects him over Tateyama.

Until Ogando moves back to SP ... there is no room for Lowe on the 25man because with Ogando in the BP ... Lowe is simply a redundant less effective and less reliable option than the alternatives.

I predict Scooter will be in the rotation by the end of May.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First official game is going to end, I assume, at some point. The season is here!