• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2024

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have Hancock to fill in, but then who? It's not like Hancock is a lock to stay healthy. Do I hear Bullpen game coming our way soon?
I guess. I know it’s spring but the bullpen was by far the worst group the Mariners had. I don’t have the schedule on the hand but I’m hoping they have quite a few off days until May when allegedly Brash and Santos come back. A bullpen game isn’t bad but when realistically they don’t have anyone that is quality to do it. Saucedo and Spier aren’t exactly multi inning guys and definitely can’t waste Munoz if the game gets out of hand.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with the extensions is only Kirby makes sense. It’s too late for Gilbert and it doesn’t make sense for Cal. They’ve ran him into the ground the past two seasons, and are set up to do it again. Unless they are extending him with the intention of him being a DH it doesn’t make sense. Their handling of Ford this spring IMO is telling

I don't understand why is it too late to sign Gilbert to an extension? I do agree with Cal they are running him into the ground until Harry Ford comes up.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why is it too late to sign Gilbert to an extension? I do agree with Cal they are running him into the ground until Harry Ford comes up.
If I had to guess what he means, I would say its that Gilbert has proven too much and is now out of our price range for an extension.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to guess what he means, I would say its that Gilbert has proven too much and is now out of our price range for an extension.

That was what I was thinking if that is what's going on then I understand looking into trading him if the price is right. This upcoming season will be a testament on his earning potential.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess. I know it’s spring but the bullpen was by far the worst group the Mariners had. I don’t have the schedule on the hand but I’m hoping they have quite a few off days until May when allegedly Brash and Santos come back. A bullpen game isn’t bad but when realistically they don’t have anyone that is quality to do it. Saucedo and Spier aren’t exactly multi inning guys and definitely can’t waste Munoz if the game gets out of hand.
30 games in first 34 days. A bullpen game would destroy a series. You mights well just forfeit those. I hate them.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mlb rankings.jpeg

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Gilbert sign an extension? Next year he is going to be around $10-12 million, then will be north of $20 million in 2026. An extension is to generally buy out 2 FA years. Unless the Mariners are going to offer him 5/130 it makes zero sense for him and once the AAV gets to 30 million, it makes no sense for the Mariners to explode their budget when it isn’t necessary especially when resigning Kirby should be the priority.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Divish

@RyanDivish
·
1m

The Mariners have Wednesday completely off. There is no scheduled workout leading into opening day based on the CBA. The team is expected to announce its opening day roster on Thursday morning just before the required deadline.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would Gilbert sign an extension? Next year he is going to be around $10-12 million, then will be north of $20 million in 2026. An extension is to generally buy out 2 FA years. Unless the Mariners are going to offer him 5/130 it makes zero sense for him and once the AAV gets to 30 million, it makes no sense for the Mariners to explode their budget when it isn’t necessary especially when resigning Kirby should be the priority.

I think this season will answer a lot of questions. I think it is safe to assume someone will take a step back or god forbid a Tommy John Surgery but this is really their only 2nd season as a complete rotation. You are correct however the closer the player is to fulfilling their service time the less incentive for them to sign an extension.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a wrap on spring training. Time to get this shit show started.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this season will answer a lot of questions. I think it is safe to assume someone will take a step back or god forbid a Tommy John Surgery but this is really their only 2nd season as a complete rotation. You are correct however the closer the player is to fulfilling their service time the less incentive for them to sign an extension.
I’m not trying to say I wouldn’t take it. But it a risk reward type thing. Gilbert turned down an extension that, if I remember correctly, would’ve been around 8-10 million and now he in within arms length of $25 AAV so the Mariners would have to go at least there. And just from a fan perspective I’d much rather the Mariners use their resources on Kirby.

But another thing that I forgot when I made that statement is the lockout/strike that is almost assuredly going to happen so maybe the players take the money now.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m not trying to say I wouldn’t take it. But it a risk reward type thing. Gilbert turned down an extension that, if I remember correctly, would’ve been around 8-10 million and now he in within arms length of $25 AAV so the Mariners would have to go at least there. And just from a fan perspective I’d much rather the Mariners use their resources on Kirby.
I usually want them re-signing good players, but Gilbert worries me longterm. Not sure why. I am all in for keeping Kirby. Woo and Miller are backend guys so fine if the price is right.

But another thing that I forgot when I made that statement is the lockout/strike that is almost assuredly going to happen so maybe the players take the money now.
Is that a possibility again? Man I hate to hear that but I can understand why. It is out of control.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I usually want them re-signing good players, but Gilbert worries me longterm. Not sure why. I am all in for keeping Kirby. Woo and Miller are backend guys so fine if the price is right.

Is that a possibility again? Man I hate to hear that but I can understand why. It is out of control.
With 1000% certainty there is going to be a work stoppage whether it is a lockout cause the owners smell weakness with the MLBPA or the players who want to overthrown the union leadership go on strike out of principle. Owners can’t cry poverty while raking in record profits while not dishing it back into their actual product. My biggest gripe is that is has always been the players understood they are getting screwed salary wise until they hit FA but then will get overpaid in FA. IMO owners can’t have it both ways where they dont pay…..unless they make stuff cheaper for fans which they never have

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seems like a good guy to have off the bench.
Ben Williamson ...William and Mary..
And
Charlie pagliariini..Fairfield.

We're the 2 best .defencive 3b.guy.i could..find.in collage..last year
Both with ..a ..970..Fld..in. collage..
Mariners drafted..them both..
Both can hit as..well
So....we will .see..how it goes .

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Komo..interviews John Stanton....

Stanton thinks they can win the west .
So do I....can and will..are 2 diff..things..
Though..
.best plans .of...mice and men..
Injuries happen ...
So..we..will..see.....

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I just don’t understand them. They obviously are smart to get to where they are, but why did they basically put all of their eggs in the television basket? They are so risk adverse with salaries but made a dumb business decision because they were afraid a dude was going to buy the station and make the Sonics the primary team.