• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2019

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2016 called and said fuck you
I didn't say they have always been good, just the strongest part of the team. That team, especially in the 2nd half, looked completely inept. The bullpen was the least inept part, until a couple of playoff games (of course, that loss to the Cubs can also be pinned on Bochy).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say they have always been good, just the strongest part of the team. That team, especially in the 2nd half, looked completely inept. The bullpen was the least inept part, until a couple of playoff games (of course, that loss to the Cubs can also be pinned on Bochy).

I feel like the Giants only stayed afloat in the second half of that year because of their starting pitching

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like the Giants only stayed afloat in the second half of that year because of their starting pitching
Looking at their stats from 2014, the bullpen got good years out of Jeremy Affeldt, Santiago Casilla, George Kontos and Jean Machi. Yusmeiro Petit looked pretty good as the long man that year. However, both Javier Lopez and Sergio Romo had down seasons (and got 61 games of mediocrity out of JC Gutierrez).

However, look at the starting rotation, and there wasn't much there. Jake Peavy did come over and had an outstanding 2nd half and Madison Bumgarner was well, classic Madison. But Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, Tim Hudson and Ryan Vogelsong were all okay to mediocre. No one was awful but none were particularly good either.

I didn't dig into their half seasons but a quick look at that season's pitching stats would suggest the bullpen played a bigger part than the rotation in keeping that team from being a complete disaster.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. They only stayed afloat because of their BRiB in the first. EVERYTHING fell to shit in the second half. Never seen anything like it.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at their stats from 2014, the bullpen got good years out of Jeremy Affeldt, Santiago Casilla, George Kontos and Jean Machi. Yusmeiro Petit looked pretty good as the long man that year. However, both Javier Lopez and Sergio Romo had down seasons (and got 61 games of mediocrity out of JC Gutierrez).

However, look at the starting rotation, and there wasn't much there. Jake Peavy did come over and had an outstanding 2nd half and Madison Bumgarner was well, classic Madison. But Matt Cain, Tim Lincecum, Tim Hudson and Ryan Vogelsong were all okay to mediocre. No one was awful but none were particularly good either.

I didn't dig into their half seasons but a quick look at that season's pitching stats would suggest the bullpen played a bigger part than the rotation in keeping that team from being a complete disaster.

I thought we were talking about 16?

14 was held up by the offense and Bumgarner

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. They only stayed afloat because of their BRiB in the first. EVERYTHING fell to shit in the second half. Never seen anything like it.

Yeah the 2nd half was garbage, but I was just going by memory.

Cueto was amazing, Moore was solid in September, Bum was great... right?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the 2nd half was garbage, but I was just going by memory.

Cueto was amazing, Moore was solid in September, Bum was great... right?
I would have to look it up. I just remember everything going to crap.

Offense? Crap.
Bully? Crap. (Who can forget the balk-off?)
Defense? Crap.
Managing? Crap.
Clutch? Crap.
Chemistry? Crap.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to look it up. I just remember everything going to crap.

Offense? Crap.
Bully? Crap. (Who can forget the balk-off?)
Defense? Crap.
Managing? Crap.
Clutch? Crap.
Chemistry? Crap.

tzill's depends? Crap.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought we were talking about 16?

14 was held up by the offense and Bumgarner
:doh::L
giphy.gif

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think the FO is vastly undervaluing the outfielers currently on the 40 man roster. And considering Zaidi is good with Parra, I wonder if he is one of those veteran leaning types.
Giants looking for right-handed hitters
The FO is undervaluing the current crop of OFers? What gives you that idea? The complete rebuild of the OF in the off-season?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pomerenz with four solid zeros followed by Hollturd with three zeros.

I approve of this game.