• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2013 Edition

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randy Winn is in camp.

I miss that guy, he was one of my favorites back in the gloomy days. He's playing catch with Rich Aurillia.

x2_1120d62f

What are Winn and Aurillia doing in camp? Have they officially joined the Giants Alumni Coaching Corps, or is there something special going on today?

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two updates:

1. Mijares has already thrown bullpens without problems and will be facing live batters tomorrow on a back field.
2. Chez3 is the least likely to be ready April 1; will throw this weekend and hit KH to test the shoulder.

Also? Gaudin looks like a lock for the 7th BP spot

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two updates:

1. Mijares has already thrown bullpens without problems and will be facing live batters tomorrow on a back field.
2. Chez3 is the least likely to be ready April 1; will throw this weekend and hit KH to test the shoulder.

Also? Gaudin looks like a lock for the 7th BP spot

Isn't it time to drop that name for him? He is the only Sanchez in the org now...

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My son and I were at the Dogs-A's game, and then the Giants-Mariners game. Our impressions, worth nothing, really:

(1) The Dodgers signed the Cuban named Yasiel Puig last June. He is large and fast. He hit a monster homerun that still hasn't landed, and turned a double into an easy triple. He was easily the most impressive guy out there today.

(2) Zito looked good, fanning 7 in five innings. He was about 2-1 in strikes/balls, but struggled when he pitched from behind.

(3) Torres, Blanco and Belt had solid games, and look ready. I love the speed of Torres and Blanco, but will probably rarely see the both of them in the same lineup.

(4) Herk does not look ready. First time seeing him in person, and goodness, he doesn't have a quiet muscle in his body at the plate. He did make a nice catch in RF to take away a double.

(5) The bottom of the order did nothing.

(6) Crawford made some wonderful plays at short, and hit a standup triple to drive in Belt. He batted fifth!

(7) Ramon Ramirez struck out three, but also gave up some loud hits.

(8) Runzler struck out his only batter faced.

(9) The Dodger/White Sox complex at Camelback is terrific. The Mariners/Padres complex in Peoria is less so. It is 20 years old, and showing its age.

(10) Met some terrific Giants fans at both venues. Giant fans easily outnumbered Mariner fans tonight.

Tomorrow, we will be in Scottsdale.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boch unhappy with the backup infielder crop, aside from Kobe (and he may be starting Opening Day). Riot apparently looking to become an agent...Cards just released Ronny Cedeno. Chone Figgins also available.

Hmmmm.....

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offspring and I saw the Giants-Brewers joint ten inning shut out today.

(1) Vogey pitched well, and with determination.

(2) Hitting with RISP? fugetaboutit. Giants had the bases loaded with no outs in the 10th, and STILL didn't score. (0-5 for the game with RISP) No surprise here.....

(2a) In the 10th, why not have Pegs bunt? Can no one on this team bunt? Or does Bochy loathe to give away any outs. (Pegs GIDP on the first pitch with the bases loaded.)

(3) Can we please end the Tanaka experiment? He had about a 40 foot throw in the 10th, and airmailed it into the stands. Chuck Sax, or Steve Knoblach would be proud.

(4) Posey got great ovations, as did Romo. Romo looked a but rusty, but in the end owas effective enough.

Pretty fast game, not a lot of offense. Sat in the bleachers. (ugh) Sell out crowd today.

Tomorrow, Brewers and White Sox, and then Angels and Rangers at night.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offspring and I saw the Giants-Brewers joint ten inning shut out today.

(1) Vogey pitched well, and with determination.

(2) Hitting with RISP? fugetaboutit. Giants had the bases loaded with no outs in the 10th, and STILL didn't score. (0-5 for the game with RISP) No surprise here.....

(2a) In the 10th, why not have Pegs bunt? Can no one on this team bunt? Or does Bochy loathe to give away any outs. (Pegs GIDP on the first pitch with the bases loaded.)

(3) Can we please end the Tanaka experiment? He had about a 40 foot throw in the 10th, and airmailed it into the stands. Chuck Sax, or Steve Knoblach would be proud.

(4) Posey got great ovations, as did Romo. Romo looked a but rusty, but in the end owas effective enough.

Pretty fast game, not a lot of offense. Sat in the bleachers. (ugh) Sell out crowd today.

Tomorrow, Brewers and White Sox, and then Angels and Rangers at night.

Love the updates, stokes. Keep em coming for us less fortunate folks that can't make it down there.

Tanaka wont be on the opening day roster. Its ok, they find someone

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boch unhappy with the backup infielder crop, aside from Kobe (and he may be starting Opening Day). Riot apparently looking to become an agent...Cards just released Ronny Cedeno. Chone Figgins also available.

Hmmmm.....

Boch has a soft spot for Figgins. But beat writers doubt it'll happen.

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cedeno would be a savvy pickup. Then again, SabeySabes is probably working on something we won't see coming.

Yup, sabean's scouring for another spring surprise

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not surprised about Valdez. He has hardly played this spring. However, what does that mean for the util spot? Cedeno? Figgins? Riot? Recall Noonan? Cavan?

Too bad about RamRam. He was stud-ish for us in '10 and '11. Welcome to the club, Chad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco Giants cut reliever Ramon Ramirez - San Jose Mercury News

No surprise. From our limited views, Valdez has done virtually nothing, and Ramirez has been extremely hittable this spring.

We had tix to the Reds@Dodgers (I wanted to see the Reds), but got some tickets to the Giants @ Rox at Salt River Flats. That's one of two parks we have not seen in Arizona, so we are excited.

My son, a recent UCLA grad, just got a job offer in Aurora, COlorado as an aerospace engineer. His starting salary is more than I have ever made. Good for the lad! He may become a Rox fan. Which is better than his current Dodger fandom. Evidently, he was raised by wolves, not his two rabid Giants fan parents.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No surprise. From our limited views, Valdez has done virtually nothing, and Ramirez has been extremely hittable this spring.

We had tix to the Reds@Dodgers (I wanted to see the Reds), but got some tickets to the Giants @ Rox at Salt River Flats. That's one of two parks we have not seen in Arizona, so we are excited.

My son, a recent UCLA grad, just got a job offer in Aurora, COlorado as an aerospace engineer. His starting salary is more than I have ever made. Good for the lad! He may become a Rox fan. Which is better than his current Dodger fandom. Evidently, he was raised by wolves, not his two rabid Giants fan parents.

Wolves that are great at math. Congrats, lil Stokesy! Denver is an awesome city.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hear that they pile the salaries a mile high there !

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just back from Salt River Flats. Beautiful ballpark!

(1) Heston pitched so-so. He gave up five runs in four innings, (two of which were the gift of a fly ball misplayed into a double by Pegs in left). However, he struck out Tulo looking with men on, and then the next inning struck out CarGo on something nasty.

(2) Pegs is a work in progress. His first three AB's were one pitch each. He finally worked the count on his fourth AB, and singled to center. Then was caught stealing.

(3) Belt is en fuego! 4 for 4 with two homers, that weren't cheap. Now hitting .439 for the spring.

(4) tzill will be heartened to know that Susac drove in the go ahead run in the 7th with a hard single to left, scoring Blanco from 3rd.

(5) Noonan hit a homer to center, and looked really good at third. Good range, good hands, good arm. I hope he makes the team.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just back from Salt River Flats. Beautiful ballpark!

(1) Heston pitched so-so. He gave up five runs in four innings, (two of which were the gift of a fly ball misplayed into a double by Pegs in left). However, he struck out Tulo looking with men on, and then the next inning struck out CarGo on something nasty.

(2) Pegs is a work in progress. His first three AB's were one pitch each. He finally worked the count on his fourth AB, and singled to center. Then was caught stealing.

(3) Belt is en fuego! 4 for 4 with two homers, that weren't cheap. Now hitting .439 for the spring.

(4) tzill will be heartened to know that Susac drove in the go ahead run in the 7th with a hard single to left, scoring Blanco from 3rd.

(5) Noonan hit a homer to center, and looked really good at third. Good range, good hands, good arm. I hope he makes the team.

Nice report, Stoksie...I was in Maryvale today watching a pitching duel between the Cubs and Brewers. Nothing particularly interesting to report aside from Rickie Weeks looking like his timing is off. Khris Davis hit a HR for the Brewers...looks like a good young OF.

Giants/A's manana and Pads/Rockies tomorrow night.

I fucking LOVE Scottsdale in March...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice report, Stoksie...I was in Maryvale today watching a pitching duel between the Cubs and Brewers. Nothing particularly interesting to report aside from Rickie Weeks looking like his timing is off. Khris Davis hit a HR for the Brewers...looks like a good young OF.

Giants/A's manana and Pads/Rockies tomorrow night.

I fucking LOVE Scottsdale in March...

This has been the best week, weather wise, I have experienced here. Lots of good Giants fans to connect with, too. The love of the Giants runs deep in Northern California, and elsewhere.

Going home this morning.

BTW, Salt River Fields is the nicest ballpark in the area. It is drop dead gorgeous. Enjoy!