• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spring Training 2013 Edition

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is a seed of interest by the Giants to keep him around. But if it takes a 5-year deal to get it done, than no way do I want that. I would be OK with a 2/27, or something like that, given a productive 1/2 year from him in '13. If he has a monster, and it appears it is who he is, I could see a 3/45. But anything past that and I think they need to put negotiations off to after the season (maybe before he hits FA) and see what happens.

Yeah, I may have been a bit overzealous with 5/75, but with the way the market is going, we are likely going to need to go for more years and more money than we would ordinarily like, IMO.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I may have been a bit overzealous with 5/75, but with the way the market is going, we are likely going to need to go for more years and more money than we would ordinarily like, IMO.

Money is fudgable. Years are not.

Let the Doggies do themselves in by adding all the FAs on the market with 5+ year deals. It will only kill the org in the long-run (short-run?).

If it takes a 5-year deal to get Pance in the fold, than good luck to him in LA, Miami, NY, Cincinatti, where ever. I will take a cast-off/AAAA/kid with the Giants coaching staff, thank you very much. We have Pags / Kiesch / Brown / Perez / etc ready in the next year or so to help eleviate the need for a slightly above average OFer asking for a big, long contract.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update on the utility spot race.

IMO, Noonan may have the inside track on this one. Tanka committed his 7th error of the spring (Juan Perez has 2, no one else has more than 1). He is limited to second base too, he simply doesn't have the arm to play SS. He tried to flip the ball to first today from SS.

Tony Abreu hasn't gotten much PT yet, still healing up from his injury.

Noonan is versatile (plays 2B,SS,3B), fast, and is left-handed. I think he's the answer at this point.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update on the utility spot race.

IMO, Noonan may have the inside track on this one. Tanka committed his 7th error of the spring (Juan Perez has 2, no one else has more than 1). He is limited to second base too, he simply doesn't have the arm to play SS. He tried to flip the ball to first today from SS.

Tony Abreu hasn't gotten much PT yet, still healing up from his injury.

Noonan is versatile (plays 2B,SS,3B), fast, and is left-handed. I think he's the answer at this point.

I assume you mean he's a LH hitter. I can't imagine a left-handed 2B, SS, or 3B.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The axe fell with a vengeance today.

Noteables...

Noonan
Bochy
Hembree
Bond
Brown
Kieschnick
Perez

Biggest surprise, IMHO, is Noonan. I thought he was really putting together a strong push for the util spot.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The axe fell with a vengeance today.

Noteables...

Noonan
Bochy
Hembree
Bond
Brown
Kieschnick
Perez

Biggest surprise, IMHO, is Noonan. I thought he was really putting together a strong push for the util spot.

Very surprised by Noonan. Make my last post totally irrelevant.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very surprised by Noonan. Make my last post totally irrelevant.

Per Baggs, Tanaka has already been told he won't make the team. That leaves the ghost of Abreu and Valdez for the 6th IF spot. Pill would have made sense here, but then he had surgery.

The 7th RP is probably Gaudin, although RamRam and Runzler are still in it. Proctor and Machi are longshots. A second spot opens up if Mijares can't go.

The 5th OF spot is probably Pegs (ahem...self congratulatory pat on the back). Cole the Giller has an outside shot.

Also of note, Chez3 might start the season on the DL, opening up a spot for Quiroz or (longshot) Monell.

Locks:
Cain, Bum, Freak, Zeets, Tron, Romo, JA, KCYa, LOOGY, Kontos, MVP, Baby G, Moped, Stamos, Panda, Kobe, Herk, Oxy, Shark, Towers
If Healthy:
Chez3, Mijares
Likely:
Gaudin, Valdez, Pegs
Longshot/Injury Replacement:
Proctor, RamRam, Machi, Runz, Cole the Giller, Quiroz, Abreu

I'll be there next weekend. Can't wait to lay eyes on the lads...

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the Fresno team is going to be the most talented in years. Lots of guys who could actually make an impact in the show:

Adrianza, Noonan, Perez, Kiesh, Dunning, Heston, Otero, Rosario, Edlefsen, Hembree, Loux, Sadowski, Bonser, Bond, Dominguez....add in Proctor, RamRam, Runz, Cole, Quiroz, Abreu, Machi. That's 22 guys who could contribute in the majors.

Of course, not all of those guys will clear waivers or have options.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sabean: "I think we’re more pleased with the choices we may have for the 12th pitcher and perhaps with (Gregor) Blanco and (Andres) Torres probably platooning, and it seems like Peguero has stepped up – he might be a front-runner for the extra outfielder – vs. someone rearing his head as a utility infielder. We still have time, and Abreu needs to play more. We have to take a look at him."

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, the Fresno team is going to be the most talented in years. Lots of guys who could actually make an impact in the show:

Adrianza, Noonan, Perez, Kiesh, Dunning, Heston, Otero, Rosario, Edlefsen, Hembree, Loux, Sadowski, Bonser, Bond, Dominguez....add in Proctor, RamRam, Runz, Cole, Quiroz, Abreu, Machi. That's 22 guys who could contribute in the majors.

Of course, not all of those guys will clear waivers or have options.

Edit: Add Brown and Kickham to that list.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the info Tzill.

To add to Mijares, seems like the beat writers have the sense that Mijares will NOT be ready for Opening Day.

We actually have a nice group of talent in the minors this year, not too many studs but good players. San Jose should be fun to watch too!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the info Tzill.

To add to Mijares, seems like the beat writers have the sense that Mijares will NOT be ready for Opening Day.

We actually have a nice group of talent in the minors this year, not too many studs but good players. San Jose should be fun to watch too!

San Jose has the studs, Fresno has the AAAA+ guys. That is almost EXACTLY how you want your system to be distributed.

For the first time in a long time, Richmond is going to be a blah team this year (outside of Panik).

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Jose has the studs, Fresno has the AAAA+ guys. That is almost EXACTLY how you want your system to be distributed.

For the first time in a long time, Richmond is going to be a blah team this year (outside of Panik).

Agreed. That SJ pitching may be the best they've ever seen. Absolutely stacked.

In Richmond, since they (the front office) are likely to hold Susac back in San Jose at least for the start of the year, I'll be watching Panik, Adam Duvall. Come summer time I think they might have a bit more to lookout for.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In Richmond, since they (the front office) are likely to hold Susac back in San Jose at least for the start of the year, I'll be watching Panik, Adam Duvall. Come summer time I think they might have a bit more to lookout for.

Richmond will also have Baby Boch, Monell, Anders, and Fairley. While they won't be as stacked as last year (most of that team will be in Fresno), they should be competitive. I'm interested in seeing how Fitzgerald, Gloor, Westcott, Fleet, and Maday do. Somebody(s) from that group will emerge as a genuine prospect.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richmond is not baren, just not as stacked as SJ or Fresno.

For an org that apparently has a weak farm system, they sure do have a strong farm system.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am surprised they let Deshenko walk. They will need talented catchers in SJ, and I think Deshenko fits that bill.

He was the starter for one of the WBC teams...

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy cow (pun not intended)

Pablo is huge

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randy Winn is in camp.

I miss that guy, he was one of my favorites back in the gloomy days. He's playing catch with Rich Aurillia.

x2_1120d62f