• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Spirited Away (2001)

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched this movie over a decade ago. I dunno why I wanted to watch it today but I did... and after all these years, it dawned on me.

My theory:

Chihiro/Sen is drowning in a river (Kohaku river) and must find her way out of limbo. The river (named Haku as a character in the movie - she later says the name of the river and we get flashbacks to her underwater which we NEVER saw before) tells her to work (fight) to ensure she does not meet death and become a permanent spirit. The parents I want to say took her to that river probably to play and indulge in life (hence the pig eating scene) and pulled her out at the end (while she's still unconscious). They even say, "This river used to be empty." The 'dusting' of the car symbolizes the journey she's been through in the spirit/afterlife while in the real world her parents are likely taking her to seek medical care.

Like holy shit. How in the F did I miss this all these years? I just thought it was some girl going into a ghost world with 'magical forces' at work... but all this time it was a TOTAL story about her being in limbo and toggling between life and death.

*mind blown*

Last edited: