• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Special Teams

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I figured this aspect of the team merited its own thread. The coverage units and kicking units have been very good for the most part, but we have allowed a couple significant returns lately. I was reading this by Harbaugh in reference to Ventrone and Osgood:

"They haven't had a bad day between the two of them," Harbaugh said of his additions.

I disagree. Don't get me wrong, both guys have been big for us this year. But Osgood had a terrible game against the Saints. He got knocked out of his lane - and Cadet went through the resulting hole - on the 82-yard KO return that set up the Saints' TD toward the end of the first half. And he then ran into Sproles after the fair catch signal to set the Saints up for a chip shot. Those were huge plays in that game.

Not sure who is primarily to blame, but Tate's return in the Hawks' game was also very nearly the difference in this one. We've got to tighten that up in big games.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
for me, more concerned with punt returning and in particular, how LMJ is catching those punts? he is reverting back to being 'shakey', and not even getting "firmly" under the ball. the last game could've likely been the famous winds, so lets see how he catches this Sunday?

coverage is also a big item for me, and yes some returns have gone long. so it is a concern just that right now, not as big as punts.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, PRs are a major issue. Still get nervous every time LMJ catches one, and while he's had some nice returns, I don't think he has great instincts.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, PRs are a major issue. Still get nervous every time LMJ catches one, and while he's had some nice returns, I don't think he has great instincts.

me neither, he doesn't even look natural or comfortable getting under the punts?

again, maybe its the SF winds where no one is comfortable? we'll see on Sunday

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be very disappointed if Spillman doesnt make the Pro Bowl.

Only other thing I have to say about Special Teams is that they have really bounced back from last season and LMJ Worries me as punt returner

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone else notice how often LMJ will call a fair catch and then still need to run to get to the ball. It scares the bejesus out of me every time.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Does anyone else notice how often LMJ will call a fair catch and then still need to run to get to the ball. It scares the bejesus out of me every time.

yep, he doesn't look comfortable seeing the ball come down, thus doesn't even get himself properly under the ball. granted, this isn't an easy job plus it takes a lot of grit.

good decision making and good catching are the priorities over returning. cause you ALWAYS have to do these things whether you return or fair catch it.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The coverage units have been very good. A few hiccups here and there. But overall good.

I agree LMJ has had me worried a few times. But still an upgrade over Williams. Man I wish we kept Hawkins.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The coverage units have been very good. A few hiccups here and there. But overall good.

I agree LMJ has had me worried a few times. But still an upgrade over Williams. Man I wish we kept Hawkins.

A few potentially huge hiccups, though. Arguably cost us the NO game, and nearly cost us the Seattle game. We've got to put an end to that.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

not totally disagreeing, but IF there were only two choices, would rather take a sure handed fair catch and zero yards, over yards and a 'sometimes' fumble. "yards" meaning what the average PR yardage is in the NFL.

KW was catching punts pretty cleanly, with good judgement and almost no bobbling. believe he did have one muff this season? so while LMJ can be exciting and has gotten yardage, it would all go to naught with one fumble. LMJ hasn't lost one yet, but is a fumble waiting to happen.

but ok, there is more than two choices and not calling for KW to return. just think he should be judged more on catching/securing, than yards.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured this aspect of the team merited its own thread. The coverage units and kicking units have been very good for the most part, but we have allowed a couple significant returns lately. I was reading this by Harbaugh in reference to Ventrone and Osgood:

"They haven't had a bad day between the two of them," Harbaugh said of his additions.

I disagree. Don't get me wrong, both guys have been big for us this year. But Osgood had a terrible game against the Saints. He got knocked out of his lane - and Cadet went through the resulting hole - on the 82-yard KO return that set up the Saints' TD toward the end of the first half. And he then ran into Sproles after the fair catch signal to set the Saints up for a chip shot. Those were huge plays in that game.

Not sure who is primarily to blame, but Tate's return in the Hawks' game was also very nearly the difference in this one. We've got to tighten that up in big games.

I think overall, we are much improved from last year on special teams.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How will it take to land a good PR or KR. Can we please get one next year