• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sources - Rams to L.A.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what do you guys think the Chargers do? Been thinking about it all night.

First, if they become the "B" team in LA, perhaps even the "C" team as their home game against the Raiders would be a road game, their fan support would struggle.

Second, I think Stan Kroenke wants LA for himself and he's not about to work a deal with either team that makes them significant money. He would do the bare minimum for a second team, whatever he agreed to with the league. He says the team can be an equity partner and split costs 50/50, but he knows full well that Spanos and Davis can't pay for half of the stadium PLUS $550 million to relocate.

Third, Spanos can move at any time, so he has leverage against the city. However while he won't say it to a microphone, he does not want to become the Clippers in LA. He'll use the leverage but not as much as some think.

Fourth, the extra $100 million should at least get him talking to the city. Firing Mark Fabiani and starting from scratch would go a long way to repair some damage.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel for the St Louis fans - football only
I dont think Ive ever met a happy STL Blues fan. If I had a dollar for everytime I've heard 'this is going to be the year' then I could buy the Rams myself

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second, I think Stan Kroenke wants LA for himself and he's not about to work a deal with either team that makes them significant money. He would do the bare minimum for a second team, whatever he agreed to with the league. He says the team can be an equity partner and split costs 50/50, but he knows full well that Spanos and Davis can't pay for half of the stadium PLUS $550 million to relocate.
Kroenke always works in groups to absorb as much risk as possible. I dont think he really cares about conflict of interest. His general real estate play is to make the government absorb some of it and to partner up and thats status quo in the NFL. I wouldn't be too surprised either way when it comes to the Chargers and itll likely come down to what the other owners want as a collective.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the type of post that should get 18 bs grades and 5 rainbows. You're wrong on both accounts.

Kroenke walked away from the negotiating table in STL years ago. Everyone saw this coming. STL and the state of MO ponied up the cash for a new stadium. Kroenke rejected it for one reason: LA is the best market in the US in terms of where it is now and where it will be 20 years from now. Its not fair to have ANY city try to compete against that in pure market terms. Its the reason why LA gave Pujols a stupid contract. The LA market is a behemoth compared to all but a couple of markets.

Well, I just don't know how well an NFL team will fare there. Why did the Raiders and Rams leave LA in the first place (a legit question, not rhetorical)? Yah I know they mentioned a new stadium in St. Louis but the attendance in St. Louis was terrible, so moving from there seems smart.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah I know they mentioned a new stadium in St. Louis but the attendance in St. Louis was terrible, so moving from there seems smart.
Yeah, yeah. Sonics attendance was off about 20% in its last year and they had Kevin Durant.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, yeah. Sonics attendance was off about 20% in its last year and they had Kevin Durant.

So you're saying the move was smart? Okay. lol, I don't care. Sucks the Sonics moved but if the attendance wasn't there that makes sense. What's your point exactly?

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and California's Water Shortage problem HAS BEEN SOLVED!!!!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying the move was smart? Okay. lol, I don't care. Sucks the Sonics moved but if the attendance wasn't there that makes sense. What's your point exactly?
You obviously didn't read my first post if you dont understand my point. My point is that attendance was low because:

1) Ownership wanted to leave
2) Rams had the worst decade in all of sports in terms of wins, talent, etc

Would you go watch a game to see Sam Bradford's backup or Nick Foles backup? Having Aaron Donald and Todd Gurley only takes a team so far.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Attendance had zero to do with any of these teams looking to relocate. Those unsold seats are a drop in the bucket revenue wise.

St Louis had 3 things working against them: 1, the Rams were in LA for half a century - they were the most logical to return. 2, their owner has the money to build the premier stadium in the NFL and develop the area around it, giving the league far more than the stadium. 3, the size of the LA media market.

I don't think St Louis fans should take offense to any of this. It had nothing to do with them. It was about money - the main driver of all NFL decisions.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I just don't know how well an NFL team will fare there. Why did the Raiders and Rams leave LA in the first place (a legit question, not rhetorical)? Yah I know they mentioned a new stadium in St. Louis but the attendance in St. Louis was terrible, so moving from there seems smart.

I believe for the Raiders Al Davis wanted an upgrade to the Coliseum and they kept jerking him around so he got tired of it and moved the team back to Oakland.

As for the Rams it's a different story. The owner of the team died so the control went to his wife. She didn't care one bit about the team and was originally from St. Louis so people in that market promised her a shit load of things if she moved the team. So of course she moved them without hesitation and thus LA got screwed and St. Louis got a team they didn't deserve.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do what I did St Louis fans... Bust out old school Madden, Madden 2001, 2002 back when the game was good that way you can relive your team's glory runs ... I play the crap outta NBA 2k11 still because 1 it's still the best 2K basketball game, and 2 it has the 96 Sonics on there ...
Bring back the Sonics!

OH MAN ... I"ve missed the Sonics ... Luckily 2K basketball has had the 1996 Sonics team in their games since 2k11 ... it's cool using Kemp and GP in a current video game... But yeah I think one day the Sonics will be back, it's just a matter of when ... Football has always been my favorite sport though, so I can't imagine losing your home town football team.... It's just not right....

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, there is some good news for my Raiders. Goodell said that if the Chargers decide to stay, then the Raiders would have a year to decide to join the Rams in Inglewood. That's exactly where Al Davis wanted to build a stadium, back in the 90's before they left and went back to Oakland.

We have no home. We might be called, America Raiders. Where would we play?
Cool so you guys would move into the Rams stadium?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe for the Raiders Al Davis wanted an upgrade to the Coliseum and they kept jerking him around so he got tired of it and moved the team back to Oakland.

As for the Rams it's a different story. The owner of the team died so the control went to his wife. She didn't care one bit about the team and was originally from St. Louis so people in that market promised her a shit load of things if she moved the team. So of course she moved them without hesitation and thus LA got screwed and St. Louis got a team they didn't deserve.

Ah interesting. Thanks, useful info.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Los Angeles Rams
Fearsome Foursome & Roman Gabriel to Jack Snow
Hopefully the LA Rams team colors go back to what they were in the day

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because of the constant losing, its easy to gain fans when your winning but you can't continue to be blow .500 for 15+ years and excpect fans to stay when other teams that constantly make the playoffs year after year
Real fans stay loyal to their team.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spanos is expected to quickly embrace Inglewood

300x1.jpg

Chargers owner Dean Spanos emerged from Tuesday’s meeting with the ability to leave San Diego, but with an inability to move to the specific area of Los Angeles that he preferred. So what will he do next?

The thinking among the owners is that, once Spanos has a chance to process the opportunity in Inglewood, he’ll pounce.

Yes, it’s fair to wonder whether Rams owner Stan Kroenke will drive too hard of a bargain in the hopes of keeping a second team out of L.A. But, per multiple sources, Kroenke has promised the rest of the owners that he’ll be reasonable. Kroenke also, we’re told, has reduced to writing various commitments regarding the terms pursuant to which he’ll accept a second team in his new stadium.

As one source tells PFT, the Chargers already have begun working directly with the league to finalize the parameters for a deal in Inglewood, and the NFL will be directly involved in negotiations, if necessary.

There’s another reason for Kroenke to work something out. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Kroenke currently can’t begin selling premium products such as naming rights, club seats, PSLs, and sponsorships for his new stadium until 2017. If Kroenke makes a deal with the Chargers now, Kroenke can begin to sell premium products immediately.

The only lingering question is whether Spanos will choose to be a tenant or a partner. While partnership may be preferred, Spanos will have to be ready, willing, and able to write a check for half of the expenses required to get the stadium built. And if more of the overall development gets pulled into the partnership pot, the cost of equity and the risk that goes along with it gets even higher.

Given the $550 million relocation fee that the Chargers also would have to pay, Spanos could eventually opt to be a tenant.

Tenant or partner, it’s a deal that other owners think Spanos would be crazy not to do. As one source told PFT, “99 out of 100 would take this deal.”

The fact that Mark Davis and the Raiders will get the next crack at the deal if Dean Spanos doesn’t want it makes it even more likely that Spanos will be among the 99.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spanos is expected to quickly embrace Inglewood

View attachment 76657

Chargers owner Dean Spanos emerged from Tuesday’s meeting with the ability to leave San Diego, but with an inability to move to the specific area of Los Angeles that he preferred. So what will he do next?

The thinking among the owners is that, once Spanos has a chance to process the opportunity in Inglewood, he’ll pounce.

Yes, it’s fair to wonder whether Rams owner Stan Kroenke will drive too hard of a bargain in the hopes of keeping a second team out of L.A. But, per multiple sources, Kroenke has promised the rest of the owners that he’ll be reasonable. Kroenke also, we’re told, has reduced to writing various commitments regarding the terms pursuant to which he’ll accept a second team in his new stadium.

As one source tells PFT, the Chargers already have begun working directly with the league to finalize the parameters for a deal in Inglewood, and the NFL will be directly involved in negotiations, if necessary.

There’s another reason for Kroenke to work something out. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Kroenke currently can’t begin selling premium products such as naming rights, club seats, PSLs, and sponsorships for his new stadium until 2017. If Kroenke makes a deal with the Chargers now, Kroenke can begin to sell premium products immediately.

The only lingering question is whether Spanos will choose to be a tenant or a partner. While partnership may be preferred, Spanos will have to be ready, willing, and able to write a check for half of the expenses required to get the stadium built. And if more of the overall development gets pulled into the partnership pot, the cost of equity and the risk that goes along with it gets even higher.

Given the $550 million relocation fee that the Chargers also would have to pay, Spanos could eventually opt to be a tenant.

Tenant or partner, it’s a deal that other owners think Spanos would be crazy not to do. As one source told PFT, “99 out of 100 would take this deal.”

The fact that Mark Davis and the Raiders will get the next crack at the deal if Dean Spanos doesn’t want it makes it even more likely that Spanos will be among the 99.
He may very well accept it, but he has a year. Too much time to take it the first day. He may very well move, but my guess is he wants to put a framework in place in San Diego and compare the two deals. No rush since he can play the entire season in SD next year before making his decision.

Of course if he does take the deal without talking to the city of San Diego again, then he not only burned his bridges, but pissed on the ashes. Our city attorney said on the radio a half hour ago that if he goes to LA they will start discussions with the Raiders immediately, so Spanos may not be able to avoid 3 teams in whatever region he chooses, and the bulk of his fanbase is in San Diego.