• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Source: No progress made in negotiations with Goldson

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldson really playing hard ball here.... good for him but oh well....

Sucks that he's coming off a pro bowl year, hope to see him continue his success this upcoming season and beyond but if beyond means another team, so be it.

Goldson may not be the one playing hardball - just to add perspective. If he has another PB season I certainly hope he doesn't hold it against us for tagging him and re-signs with us. Dashon didn't back in to the pro-bowl last year and I would hate to think we had a chance to secure a perennial PB FS for a good price and missed it.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the good thing about 2013 is that Jairus Byrd is set to be a free agent too, and with him being 2 years younger with a ProBowl and AllPro under his belt, he might draw more attention in the Free Agent safety market next year... unless of course Goldson ends up playing so well that people start calling him the best FS in the NFC.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard(earlier this year) that next year's Safety class is actually pretty good. If not FA then the draft seems to be it.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HEY MODS, how 'bout we merge the two Goldson threads. What say ye?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maiocco:

Dashon Goldson's agent, Ben Dogra, just told me, "There will not be a long-term deal for Dashon."

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maiocco:

Dashon Goldson's agent, Ben Dogra, just told me, "There will not be a long-term deal for Dashon."

Looks like Goldson is being forced into a "prove it to me" year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Goldson is being forced into a "prove it to me" year.

If he can, it helps all parties because two solid pro-bowl years has to garnish more than just last year (I think it was inevitable that what he asked for wasn't going to be offered, can't blame him though.) So after next year, he may get what he asked for this year or somewhere between their offer this year and that offer. In the end, NFL players want to extend their career as far as they can. If he gets that long term deal next year, then this year is like pay for the last of that deal and the last year of that deal is as great as it would have been this year had he received the deal.

Illustration:

6.2 + 8 + 8 + 8 + 8 + 8 = 46.2

is the same as

8 + 8 + 8 + 8 + 8+ 6.2 = 46.2

Obviously, if he doesn't prove it this year or fails to get that long term regardless, then he lost out.

If he only plays 4 more years, obviously the deal he asked for is more than he'll get next year, but what are you going to do? Just being optimistic that it could end up being the same. Regardless, if he plays well he'll get more than the 25/5 he was offered last year. He'd just need to be paid more than 17 for the next three years (not including this year).

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he can, it helps all parties because two solid pro-bowl years has to garnish more than just last year (I think it was inevitable that what he asked for wasn't going to be offered, can't blame him though.) So after next year, he may get what he asked for this year or somewhere between their offer this year and that offer. In the end, NFL players want to extend their career as far as they can. If he gets that long term deal next year, then this year is like pay for the last of that deal and the last year of that deal is as great as it would have been this year had he received the deal.

Illustration:

6.2 + 8 + 8 + 8 + 8 + 8 = 46.2

is the same as

8 + 8 + 8 + 8 + 8+ 6.2 = 46.2

Obviously, if he doesn't prove it this year or fails to get that long term regardless, then he lost out.

If he only plays 4 more years, obviously the deal he asked for is more than he'll get next year, but what are you going to do? Just being optimistic that it could end up being the same. Regardless, if he plays well he'll get more than the 25/5 he was offered last year. He'd just need to be paid more than 17 for the next three years (not including this year).

That is one way to view it, absolutely. It is tough to know where the breakdown in negotiations occur in situations like these. Is it the length of contract? Is it the guaranteed money? Is it the escalators? Is it the per/yr salary? Or, is it a little of all of those? Who knows? Thus far there has been few leaks about Goldson's negotiations (but now that the bewitching hour has passed that may change).

There is a lot of risk involved as well and both sides are obviously trying their best to manage that risk while attempting to maximize the reward side of the equation. The FT places the bulk of that risk at the feet of the player, which is designed to get them to move perhaps a little more off center than the organization, thus it would seem that heels are dug-in on this one.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the 49ers allowed the market to set his price, two years in a row right? next, the 49ers probably offered as much as anyone else for 2012? if so, i'm fine with how this played out. also fine with what Goldson did, if i'm him i likely do the same.

no one likes how these things affect player moral, but thats the system in place.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Holdout coming for Goldson?
3:41PM ET
Dashon Goldson | 49ers

Apparently the market for franchise-tagged safeties was not sufficiently set by the new deal for the Oakland Raiders' Tyvon Branch (and the Tennessee Titans' Michael Griffin previously); Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area checked in with Ben Dogra -- the agent for San Francisco 49ers S Dashon Goldson -- who told the scribe, "There will not be a long-term deal for Dashon."

The safety has indicated that he'll sign the tender to play out the 2012 season on the one-year deal; however, he has not indicated when exactly he'd do that. A holdout is possible with training camp set to open later this month.

Next offseason, the cycle begins again, and the Niners can retain him on another franchise tag for 120 percent of the 2012 figure, which is around $7.45 million.

- Tim Kavanagh​

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I doubt he'll holdout since the only purpose it would serve would be to avoid injury in training camp.

It's not like he can force the 9ers into giving him a new contract since the deadline has passed so I think he'll sign and be ready for training camp since it's unlikely the 9ers will give him the tag again next season so he needs to be at his best to get the contract he wants.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the 49ers allowed the market to set his price, two years in a row right? next, the 49ers probably offered as much as anyone else for 2012? if so, i'm fine with how this played out. also fine with what Goldson did, if i'm him i likely do the same.

no one likes how these things affect player moral, but thats the system in place.

I would agree with this. If Goldson has another PB season, the leverage shifts a little toward Goldson. One thing to keep an eye on will be the increasing value placed upon Safety's as the league continues to shift toward becoming an increasingly dominate passing league.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This is why the draft is so important because you need to have guys in the wings to be the next man up if you want to keep being good year in and year out while retaining your superstar players.

Safety depth is still a big problem for us but I'll give Baalke the benefit of the doubt in that you can only resupply the cupboard so much in a given offseason but it's a position we have to address early in next year's draft.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt he'll holdout since the only purpose it would serve would be to avoid injury in training camp.

It's not like he can force the 9ers into giving him a new contract since the deadline has passed so I think he'll sign and be ready for training camp since it's unlikely the 9ers will give him the tag again next season so he needs to be at his best to get the contract he wants.

I agree! It would make zero sense for Goldson to hold out - he would hurt only himself. As for next season, if Goldson has another PB season and unless there is a gentlemen's agreement in place then we may have no choice but to tag him again, (based on what I understand to be the negotiating rules with a player whom is playing under a FT) This time, however, it will be with the intent to sign long-term. The problem with that is we lose the ability to tag someone else. (E.G., Sopoaga?)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

if he was that complete a player, another team would've given him a long term deal.

yeah, Goldson needs to sign and play well again, for his own long term future. he's getting paid WELL under the tag this season, we might even consider it over paid? so why not come in and play your best?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he was that complete a player, another team would've given him a long term deal.

yeah, Goldson needs to sign and play well again, for his own long term future. he's getting paid WELL under the tag this season, we might even consider it over paid? so why not come in and play your best?

If he was a complete player? Overpaid? This makes zero sense - Goldson is a tale of two seasons - one in which he did not perform and did not receive the compensation he was looking for.

Another in which he was a pro-bowl FS and absolutely would have received a long-term deal from another team which would have paid him much more than the $6.2m he will make this year if we hadn't tagged him.

$6.2m is on the LOW side for a Pro-Bowl FS Deep.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If he was a complete player? Overpaid? This makes zero sense - Goldson is a tale of two seasons - one in which he did not perform and did not receive the compensation he was looking for.

Another in which he was a pro-bowl FS and absolutely would have received a long-term deal from another team which would have paid him much more than the $6.2m he will make this year if we hadn't tagged him.

$6.2m is on the LOW side for a Pro-Bowl FS Deep.

wha.........so which tale are you telling?

he didn't get the long term contract he was seeking, so he's not a "complete player" according to 32 NFL teams. but for THIS season he's getting the tag amount, which is reserved for higher end Safeties. so for this season - going into the season - he's overpaid.

if you feel he's a legit PB Safety now (contrary to 32 NFL teams), and should be paid like one................no problem here.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
wha.........so which tale are you telling?

he didn't get the long term contract he was seeking, so he's not a "complete player" according to 32 NFL teams. but for THIS season he's getting the tag amount, which is reserved for higher end Safeties. so for this season - going into the season - he's overpaid.

if you feel he's a legit PB Safety now (contrary to 32 NFL teams), and should be paid like one................no problem here.

It's not the question if the 9ers want to pay him like a PB Safety it's just that he wants Rolle and Weddle money and those guys were simply overpaid.

So I can see Goldson's point of view on this one because from his angle he believes he's as good as those guys thus should be paid like them.

But on the flip side you have the 9ers point of view in that if the Giants and Chargers want to overpay for a Safety than that's there problem but they aren't going to do it.

I think he should've taken the money and ran with it. I don't see him increasing his value much more than it already is and at this point he can only hurt it. Yea you can gamble and hit free agency and maybe somebody hits you with the contract you're looking for but I think you're better off taking the safe money on the table.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder, if Goldson does indeed go PB again, does this pump his value/demand higher?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's not the question if the 9ers want to pay him like a PB Safety it's just that he wants Rolle and Weddle money and those guys were simply overpaid.

So I can see Goldson's point of view on this one because from his angle he believes he's as good as those guys thus should be paid like them.

But on the flip side you have the 9ers point of view in that if the Giants and Chargers want to overpay for a Safety than that's there problem but they aren't going to do it.

I think he should've taken the money and ran with it. I don't see him increasing his value much more than it already is and at this point he can only hurt it. Yea you can gamble and hit free agency and maybe somebody hits you with the contract you're looking for but I think you're better off taking the safe money on the table.

yes, the other contracts aren't being factored in cause its between that player and that team. its what the 49ers offered Goldson in a long term deal, and the tag amount.

earlier, just saying i side with the 49ers, why? because no other team stepped up and gave Goldson a long term deal. so Goldson isn't worth as much as he wanted....despite making the Pro Bowl. Baalke and staff had a reasonable offer on the table, likely higher than other teams?

so now, the tag amount is more than what they offered (broken down to average per year), GOING INTO this season he's "overpaid".