• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Something Kind of Cool

tlakes20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone that graduated with me a few years ago was the Cardinals 37th round draft pick in this years draft. Kind of cool to know someone that got drafted to the majors.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remind him now, you want tickets when he gets to the show. It'll do 2 things- get you a better chance to get tix, and more importantly, let a 30- something round pick think he might have a real shot to get there. The most confident guy in the world has doubts by mid summer, even if they'll never admit it.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on the subject of minor league baseball. if anyone on this board is near louisville, and you have the opportunity, go see the bats play the bulls this week. you'll get a glimpse of why, and how, a team like the tb rays can stay relevant in mlb. not to mention you will probably see some good baseball too.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something else that falls into the kind of cool catagory.

It was on this date back in 1944 that, six weeks shy of his 16th birthday, Joe Nuxhall becomes the youngest person to play in a major league contest in this century. After being called in the ninth inning into a 13-0 rout by the Cardinals at Crosley Field, the 15-year high school southpaw, who will stay in the Reds organization for over sixty years, becoming best known as the voice for the team's radio broadcasts, retires the first batter he faces, but is unable to get out of the inning, yielding five walks, two hits, one wild pitch and five runs.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went through the Reds Hall this weekend and they gave away a bronzish statue of Nuxy to all visitors. I looked at it and it showed him wearing No. 43. Now... I always knew Nuxy wore 39 during his years with the Reds until he was traded in '61. Then he came back to wear 41. So I was wondering why he was wearing 43. Turns out, when he came up as a 15-y.o., that was the number he wore for that game. The little statues are replicas of the one at the ballpark.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went through the Reds Hall this weekend and they gave away a bronzish statue of Nuxy to all visitors. I looked at it and it showed him wearing No. 43. Now... I always knew Nuxy wore 39 during his years with the Reds until he was traded in '61. Then he came back to wear 41. So I was wondering why he was wearing 43. Turns out, when he came up as a 15-y.o., that was the number he wore for that game. The little statues are replicas of the one at the ballpark.

He also sported #33 in his lone season with the K.C A's. In fact, I think a lot of popular players that most of us associate with just 1 jersey number actually wore different numbers at different times. Thank goodness for the folks at Baseball Reference for keeping track of all this stuff.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something else that falls into the kind of cool catagory.

It was on this date back in 1944 that, six weeks shy of his 16th birthday, Joe Nuxhall becomes the youngest person to play in a major league contest in this century. After being called in the ninth inning into a 13-0 rout by the Cardinals at Crosley Field, the 15-year high school southpaw, who will stay in the Reds organization for over sixty years, becoming best known as the voice for the team's radio broadcasts, retires the first batter he faces, but is unable to get out of the inning, yielding five walks, two hits, one wild pitch and five runs.

Wow, that just seems like such a better time to be alive.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a more romantic time to think of baseball, yeah ... fans were more innocent then. Not as much "Tweeting" of their lives ... no tattoos or piercings on players and they were really out and among the fans. But no instant replay and a doubleheader on Sunday.
I think I'd trade today's game for that. The rest of life in the 1940s ... maybe, not so much.