• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some will hate the taylor mays pick even more

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
From what I recall...
Eddie temporarily handed over the team to York who then refused to give it back.
Does anyone really wonder if things wouldn't be better under Eddie D than it has under the Yorks?
Bill Walsh has said that under the Yorks as a consultant, no one sought his advice and he spent his time counting paper clips.
Dr. York alienated players like Rice and he removed a lot of pictures from the walls of the facilities that included older players and Eddie.

It took a couple of years for the Yorks to screw things up but they got there and haven't been able to right the ship since.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i recall one of the first things Dr. York did was bring Bill Walsh back? Bill Walsh may have first come back as a Consultant, then took over a few years later.

also, John York didn't pursue the 49ers, Eddie lost them. anyways, even if Eddie retained Ownership, who's to say he would've hired the right GM and HC either? also by mid 90's, Eddie would be under the cap rules.

Well, according to Wikipedia... not the best source, but a source.

Walsh would also return to the 49ers, serving as Vice President and General Manager from 1999 to 2001 and was a special consultant to the team for three years afterwards

That legal battle led to another, and as part of a settlement, DeBartolo gave up control of the 49ers in 2000, ceding control of the team to his sister Marie Denise DeBartolo York.

Eddie brought Walsh back a year before the Yorks took control of the team. Sure, they kept him around until 2004, but eventually they parted ways with him.

Oh, and I didn't mean the exact same WCO Walsh ran, I just meant the WCO that traces back to him. I know his offense died in the 80s with his retirement, and it evolved into Holmgren's \ Green's \ Shannahan's \ everyone else's... I just meant they started to hire coaches that were not associated with Bill Walsh's offense, and instead tried to forge their own identity by bring in Nolan to connect the present day 49ers to Dick Nolan's 70s 49ers... I took that as intentionally trying to distance themselves from Eddie's 49ers Identity.

On another side note, Eddie DeBartelo has nobody to blame but himself for what the Yorks did to him. He made shady dealings, that was his decision, and the result was it cost him the team. Fighting over family fortunes is nothing new, it didn't surprise me that his younger sister told him to kick rocks when he wanted the team back. It's what younger siblings do over a family fortune when they finally get a chance to seize power.

Last edited by a moderator:

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, according to Wikipedia... not the best source, but a source.

Eddie brought Walsh back a year before the Yorks took control of the team. Sure, they kept him around until 2004, but eventually they parted ways with him.

Oh, and I didn't mean the exact same WCO Walsh ran, I just meant the WCO that traces back to him. I know his offense died in the 80s with his retirement, and it evolved into Holmgren's \ Green's \ Shannahan's \ everyone else's... I just meant they started to hire coaches that were not associated with Bill Walsh's offense, and instead tried to forge their own identity by bring in Nolan to connect the present day 49ers to Dick Nolan's 70s 49ers... I took that as intentionally trying to distance themselves from Eddie's 49ers Identity.

On another side note, Eddie DeBartelo has nobody to blame but himself for what the Yorks did to him. He made shady dealings, that was his decision, and the result was it cost him the team. Fighting over family fortunes is nothing new, it didn't surprise me that his younger sister told him to kick rocks when he wanted the team back. It's what younger siblings do over a family fortune when they finally get a chance to seize power.

From what I recall, Walsh said that the Yorks marginalized his role until eventually he did nothing.

And I agree Eddie has no one to blame but himself but I can blame the Yorks for taking the team from Eddie and destroying them. They didn't do Eddie or the fans a favor by taking the team and keeping it.