• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some pretty questionable HC hires this year

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gase turns the Browns down, things could get interesting with Roman.

I was thinking of that. However the browns haven't helped themselves by firing coaches every year. Roman would have to think even as an OC here it would be better than a HC gig in Cleveland. Of course money talks.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking of that. However the browns haven't helped themselves by firing coaches every year. Roman would have to think even as an OC here it would be better than a HC gig in Cleveland. Of course money talks.

I would never trust the Browns to either field a good team, even if I were the coach (and I were Roman), nor be patient with me trying to build the team. Short term, who knows maybe firing Chud was the best decision? Long-term, doesn't look that good. I think that the head coach will factor in that reasonableness and the patience of the franchise. And if that coach who is factoring in those decisions is a great coach and he walks away, you just asked for more instability and bad coaching. Do you then keep Chud and fire him the next year? And if that's the plan, are you throwing away the season or being close minded about Chud? What if Chud surprises, then you're in that situation of not having your coach but not being able to fire him smoothly, either. Starting over is a hard thing, even for a good franchise like the Niners, especially for a bad franchise like the Browns.

Plus, the owner is a Steeler fan? Oh boy, I'm glad that I'm not a Cleveland fan. I never would be, but I'm especially glad that Alex Smith didn't go there. Even with Norv Turner. Alex Smith should be sending the Niners thank you cards.

Last edited by a moderator:

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thoughts on the Mike Zimmer hiring?

Who'da thought the Bengals would produce 2 head coaches this year? Both are probably better coaches than Marvin Lewis.

I personally think Zimmer will make a great HC. The fact that he's already looking at hiring Norv Turner tells me he knows what he's doing. The OC spot is going to be very important for them. They really need to find a QB before they can be relevant, but I'm very excited for him. It's been a long time coming.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If you'd have asked me a week ago who are some coaches that might be able to help finally fix several of Stafford's deficiencies, I wouldn't and still can't name you very many guys that I think could do it. However, on that short list of guys that I think could get him the closest to that point would be Jim Caldwell.

I always liked Caldwell as a coach but the first couple questions I'll probably always have with him is who can he bring onto the defensive side of the ball to help him out and how much, what kind of say will he have with the GM, and what will the working relationship be like with the GM going into the job?

Finally, it's ridiculous how Caldwell is being portrayed by a lot of media people. Just flat ridiculous. I'll spare people the rant.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
I personally think Zimmer will make a great HC. The fact that he's already looking at hiring Norv Turner tells me he knows what he's doing. The OC spot is going to be very important for them. They really need to find a QB before they can be relevant, but I'm very excited for him. It's been a long time coming.

I think it's the other way around. Vikes can win a lot of games with the offense they have in place, w/Cassel at Qb. Especially if Norv Turner comes in as OC. They won't be barn burners, but could win.

Zimmer will need to build that defense back to a respectable level before he does anything else IMO.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's the other way around. Vikes can win a lot of games with the offense they have in place, w/Cassel at Qb. Especially if Norv Turner comes in as OC. They won't be barn burners, but could win.

Zimmer will need to build that defense back to a respectable level before he does anything else IMO.

It won't get done over night, but I'm sure some of his guys in cinci will want to jump ship to play for him. Hes a well liked guy. I see him adding a few guys via FA. I'm excited to see what he does in the off season.

I'm skeptical of Cassel running that offense. They can do better than that. This might be a good landing spot for Vick. Not sure if it would work, but both sides should consider it IMO.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It won't get done over night, but I'm sure some of his guys in cinci will want to jump ship to play for him. Hes a well liked guy. I see him adding a few guys via FA. I'm excited to see what he does in the off season.

I'm skeptical of Cassel running that offense. They can do better than that. This might be a good landing spot for Vick. Not sure if it would work, but both sides should consider it IMO.

Didn't they trade for Freeman. Did that guy disappear in a "magic-act?" He played once, and then fell off the planet.

Vikings fans? Any insight?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't they trade for Freeman. Did that guy disappear in a "magic-act?" He played once, and then fell off the planet.

KC has Big Red, Carolina has Riverboat Ron. Any ideas for Zimmer's nickname? I'm guessing Zimmerman would be unpopular.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC has Big Red, Carolina has Riverboat Ron. Any ideas for Zimmer's nickname? I'm guessing Zimmerman would be unpopular.

The Zimboni
The Big Zimbowski
Zimmer Down
Mike the Zim Master
The only difference between the Saints and the Vikings is that the Saints are Payton for a miracle while the Vikings are dining with the Zimmer.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you'd have asked me a week ago who are some coaches that might be able to help finally fix several of Stafford's deficiencies, I wouldn't and still can't name you very many guys that I think could do it. However, on that short list of guys that I think could get him the closest to that point would be Jim Caldwell.

I always liked Caldwell as a coach but the first couple questions I'll probably always have with him is who can he bring onto the defensive side of the ball to help him out and how much, what kind of say will he have with the GM, and what will the working relationship be like with the GM going into the job?

Finally, it's ridiculous how Caldwell is being portrayed by a lot of media people. Just flat ridiculous. I'll spare people the rant.

I like Caldwell for Stafford, but as a HC it's a different story. Detroit couldn't separate the two (and maybe didn't want to).

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1

I think they'll need to do better than Cassel for sure, I just meant as he builds the defense, Cassel could win some games next season. Not liking Vick, but go with Cassel and groom the new draft pick next season.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1

They didn't have to trade for him, he was released by the Bucs and the Vikes picked him up.
It sounds like he missed, or was late to multiple meetings, practices and that sort of thing. Same crap he was pulling in Tampa. Maybe the new staff can get him motivated again, I'd like to see him compete for the job here. But he might not be worth the hassle. :noidea:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't have to trade for him, he was released by the Bucs and the Vikes picked him up.
It sounds like he missed, or was late to multiple meetings, practices and that sort of thing. Same crap he was pulling in Tampa. Maybe the new staff can get him motivated again, I'd like to see him compete for the job here. But he might not be worth the hassle. :noidea:

I would never think that Schiano was a good coach, but maybe he knew what he was doing with Freeman. It looks like it wasn't just performance. Or was all this stuff after he lost his job? Maybe if Freeman had responded to his first talks of benching, and started to work hard he would've been the quarterback again? I can imagine Alex Smith being a backup right now if he had pulled what Freeman did. And while no quarterback should do what Freemen did, Smith would've had more justification because he was playing well. When Freeman was playing poorly and responds this way, he looks even more immature.

He definitely wasn't looking long-term. Maybe when he had that bad Monday Night Football game, he saw the writing on the wall, and he said fuck it. He wasn't willing to persist through it. I know I already mentioned him, but that was something that gave Alex Smith another chance. And this was multiple times in his career. Being professional can go a long way. It wasn't like Smith was Manning.

I don't like to speak about Cassel with Smith, because people compare those two and often negatively, but I think that being persistent is something those two quarterback share. You have to be mentally tough to make it in this league, whether you're a great quarterback, good quarterback, or bad quarterback. Things are just thrown at you all the time. Look at all the talk about Manning. He's a great quarterback popular question him questioned because of his postseason record. Now they are discussing the greats, because the better you are the better company you're compared to, but you still have to be mentally tough. If Manning is worrying about his legacy too much instead of the play, he's already lost. (Unless Brady is doing the same.)

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thisthreadhasjustbeenalexed.jpg

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe his contract is up? I doubt they resign him.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Caldwell to Detroit?

Jay Gruden to Washington?

Lovie Smith to Tampa?

Bill O'Brien to Houston?

I'm not sure ANY of these moves are improvements.

lovie smith should be a big improvement

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I really like the Vikings hiring. Despite the fact that Zimmer has no prior head coaching experience. He has some pretty good players to work with on the defensive side of the ball. I still think that they really need a lot of help at the LB position, MLB in particular. Turner has Rudolph, Patterson, and the amazing AP. I know they will try their best to move up a couple spots in the draft to land them their potential franchise QB. The best news for them that I am hearing is that Teddy Bridgewater's stock is falling. Other than Manziel, he's probably the only QB I would feel comfortable in drafting in the top 5 in this year's class. If Turner get his guy in the draft, then it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the Vikes make the playoffs next year.