• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some pretty questionable HC hires this year

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Caldwell to Detroit?

Jay Gruden to Washington?

Lovie Smith to Tampa?

Bill O'Brien to Houston?

I'm not sure ANY of these moves are improvements.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lovie to Tampa is without the shadow of a doubt an improvement. I also think Gruden to Washington might be good, as for the others I think they'll be out of a job in a few years.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lovie to Tampa is without the shadow of a doubt an improvement. I also think Gruden to Washington might be good, as for the others I think they'll be out of a job in a few years.

It's only an improvement I guess because Greg Schiano was so bad. But that's not a good standard to hold a hire by. Smith's teams were always unfocused and undisciplined, and his offenses were always sub-par.

The only hire that makes sense IMO is Ken Whisenhunt.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Lovie to Tampa and think O'Brien might can do something with Houston. I don't understand the other 2 though. I mean Gruden wanted Dalton over Kaep because he fit his offense better. What does that say about how his new QB RGIII fits?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Jim Caldwell to Detroit?

Jay Gruden to Washington?

Lovie Smith to Tampa?

Bill O'Brien to Houston?

I'm not sure ANY of these moves are improvements.

Have to agree except with Lovie to Tampa. Not that I think Lovie's a great HC; I just Always thought Greg Schiano was a light weight. He never had that impressive of a resume.

I will say I'd rather have Jay Gruden than Marvin Lewis though.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will not be shock to see Jay fail in WSH... just saying

Whisenhunt is just a headscratcher for me... Detroit was tailor made IMO... Tenn not so much. Although its great for tenn.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not nearly as high on Whisenhunt as some of the others on this board, he just never impressed me as a HC. We will see how he does though.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not nearly as high on Whisenhunt as some of the others on this board, he just never impressed me as a HC. We will see how he does though.

He did lead the Cards to a super bowl...

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did lead the Cards to a super bowl...

Kurt Warner did ..... Once he left whiz had no idea how to handle qbs. He is loved here In az but warner is loved more lol. I heard whiz didn't choose Detroit because apparently the owner or gm whatever wanted that coach to keep certain coaches on the roster. Most coaches want to start a new.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kurt Warner did ..... Once he left whiz had no idea how to handle qbs. He is loved here In az but warner is loved more lol. I heard whiz didn't choose Detroit because apparently the owner or gm whatever wanted that coach to keep certain coaches on the roster. Most coaches want to start a new.

even more so to go to Detroit with Stafford rather than Tenn who has Locker?

Yea word is that the owner or gm were the difference maker in Ken's decision not to go there. W.E. his career path

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even more so to go to Detroit with Stafford rather than Tenn who has Locker?

Yea word is that the owner or gm were the difference maker in Ken's decision not to go there. W.E. his career path

Word is Whisenhunt picked Tennessee over Detroit because:

1. Tennessee paid significantly more money than Detroit offered. Rumors it's close to 1mil more per year.

2. Tennessee reportedly gave him a fully guaranteed contract much longer than the normal 4-year contract. More security/stability.

3. Reports are Whisenhunt will have a larger say in personnel than he would have in Detroit. He also likes Tennessee's GM Ruston Webster and would like to have a working relationship with him.

4. He wants to switch to a 3-4 defense. Martin Mayhew may have been against that.

5. Huge amount of cap space tied to 3 players - Stafford, Megatron, and Suh. Close to 50mil of the 2014 total space for Detroit. He might have been turned off by that.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is Whisenhunt picked Tennessee over Detroit because:

1. Tennessee paid significantly more money than Detroit offered. Rumors it's close to 1mil more per year.

2. Tennessee reportedly gave him a fully guaranteed contract much longer than the normal 4-year contract. More security/stability.

3. Reports are Whisenhunt will have a larger say in personnel than he would have in Detroit. He also likes Tennessee's GM Ruston Webster and would like to have a working relationship with him.

4. He wants to switch to a 3-4 defense. Martin Mayhew may have been against that.

5. Huge amount of cap space tied to 3 players - Stafford, Megatron, and Suh. Close to 50mil of the 2014 total space for Detroit. He might have been turned off by that.

Pts 1 & 2 make him sound money driven but its good money.

Can't dispute pt 3, pt 4 shouldn't be a worry, he should be able to adapt but understand he wants to work with a 3-4 but Tenn doesn't employ one yet either..

At least he would've had a scoring offense to work with as he could focus on the defense improvement... Megatron... who passes up on Megs lol

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pts 1 & 2 make him sound money driven but its good money.

Can't dispute pt 3, pt 4 shouldn't be a worry, he should be able to adapt but understand he wants to work with a 3-4 but Tenn doesn't employ one yet either..

At least he would've had a scoring offense to work with as he could focus on the defense improvement... Megatron... who passes up on Megs lol

Megatron would be his Fitzgerald and while I'm not going to compare Stafford with Warner, his production was comparable. Someone else can actually make the comparison. Different eras and they did have Stafford pass the ball so much, so I can't really compare.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, I'm not really a fan of any of these. Lovie could be alright, his career record in CHI was decent, but hardly inspiring.

Let's see who takes Cleveland, which has to be considered a shithole job at this point. I wonder if coordinators for the better teams would turn it down. The money is hard to pass up of course, but like they say guys don't want to uproot their families - let alone to move to Cleveland - if the organization has no patience and might fire them after a year.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm intrigued by Lovie to Tampa because he brought Tedford as his OC. Gonna be very interesting to see how that plays out.

Caldwell concerns me because I just haven't seen him have a voice and now he's running the show.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Thoughts on the Mike Zimmer hiring?

Who'da thought the Bengals would produce 2 head coaches this year? Both are probably better coaches than Marvin Lewis.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the leader in the clubhouse to become the DC for the Tits is Horton from the Browns. Not bad.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of the hires look all that great to me.

Looking more and more like we will keep most of our coordinators and coaches together again. Which is huge.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of the hires look all that great to me.

Looking more and more like we will keep most of our coordinators and coaches together again. Which is huge.

If Gase turns the Browns down, things could get interesting with Roman.