• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Some forward thinking as we wait for things to play out.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looking ahead to next year's lines:

There's two major questions that need to be asked.

First, is Palmieri going to be a top 9 forward?

Second, if Palmieri is going to be a top 9 forward, who's going to get traded?

Let's operate off some assumptions:

Kovalchuk - Zajac - ?????
Parise - Elias - Zubrus
Tedenby - JJ - Rolston

I thoroughly believe that the tryout for the two Sweedes has gone great, and they're both ready. I also don't think we'll be able to get rid of Rolston and I don't want to get rid of anyone else, but here's the scenario we're looking at.

You have to slot in Palmieri or Clarkson into that last top 9 slot no matter what the lines are.

Does this mean that one of Clarkson, Zubrus, Rolston is completely expendable?

Do we want a player making a minimum or 2.5M on the bottom line?

Theoretically Clarkson slides where he is on the third line right now, and Parise knocks Palmieri out of the top 9, but honestly, I can't see Palmieri succeed without talent surrounding him. Anyone agree? Does this mean the Devils want to move one of the less valuable top 9 to free up a spot for him?

Where does a guy like Henrique fit in?

He's going to score the most goals anyone has for the AHL squad since Chris Minard (yeah, who?) scored 30, 5 years ago. In terms of production he's way, way ahead of where Parise, Clarkson, Bergfors, etc were.

Last edited by a moderator:

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, Palmieri has earned a spot on this team next season. I mean, as long as he has a decent camp come September. Would like it if Lou could somehow get rid of Rolston. He's been better of late but he's taking a spot away from one of our younger players.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
First: Palmieri probably should still be fighting for a roster spot next year. He will still be the favorite because nobody in our system plays like he does and we badly need that style of player. If he doesn't show any desire to improve or has a poor training camp I can see him dropping back down to the AHL. Vasyunov deserves the chance to prove himself just as much as Palmieri

Second: Why can't we have a stronger fourth line? The Dev's 4th line has been awful for as long as I can remember. Steckel and either Rolston/Clarkson can take up two spots and then one of Zharkov/Henrique/Pelley/Surprise rookie with stellar preseason. I'd be much happier with Rolston or Clarkson as a spare part in case the inevitable injury happens. It doesn't matter if the player makes $5, $2.5, or $0.5 mil. Our salary cap for next year is pretty much set with the team we have this year.

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Regarding the 4th line money, I want to be as conservative with that as possible since we're going to need some space available for Greene or whoever replaces him.

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well don't forget also, both clarky and rollie have over the past 2 years, done stints on the fourth line, don't think its that unfeasible to simply see one of them there again, and my money would actually be on rolston.

yes he won't produce as much (if at all) without rolston, but whoever would take his place with patty would probably match what he puts up if not more so is it a loss at all?

also, what is going to happen on d?

you would think urbom and tao will have to take the spot up for grabs, i doubt fraser is going to be back and i wont be suprised to see greene gone either, and then at the end of next year white and salvador are both FAs and merrill is apparently looking a major steal at michigan so far, so do you resign them?

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i can see palmeiri becoming almost a poor mans lucic for us.

something that i think we desperately need.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't be the worst thing ever to bury Steckel in the minors, he hasn't done a whole lot to impress me thus far, and if his salary can go towards resigning Greene I'm all for it.

The D is the real question. I'd love to keep Greene if he remains cheap. I'm hoping after next season some of our prospects will be ready to step in for White/Salvador full time. I think after next season White's usefullness as a player will be very minimal.

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would give up on White and Salvy next season to get Kaberle (2-3 yrs based on his age) and bring in our prospect as full time replacement.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't be the worst thing ever to bury Steckel in the minors, he hasn't done a whole lot to impress me thus far, and if his salary can go towards resigning Greene I'm all for it.

The D is the real question. I'd love to keep Greene if he remains cheap. I'm hoping after next season some of our prospects will be ready to step in for White/Salvador full time. I think after next season White's usefullness as a player will be very minimal.

So far, Steckel has sucked balls.

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anybody is happy with what Steckel bringing in. Actually - nothing.