• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

some comments on the game and our team

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No I"m not joking… We've had bad call's against us all year…. NFL makes it hard to play defense and we've been bashed just as much as anybody… ridiculous PI call's all year long… Teams have moved down the field on us from the refs… Again were the second most penalized team this year… So YEAH i'm not joking… You guy's have your Niners homer glasses on with this topic… I don't hate you for that it's your team BUT common!!! NFL refs have been screwing all NFL teams regarding defense…. You haven't watched every Seahawks game because HAD YOU watched every Seattle game you wouldn't make that comment…

That's because your DBs are coached to be extremely physical and basically dare the officials to throw the flag. Apparently neither Hawks fans or players are accustomed to the officials actually doing so with regularity, based on the reaction I'm seeing here and in the press. Do you dispute that Sherman and Maxwell were holding when they were flagged? They gave up five yard penalties when we should have had guys getting open behind your D. That's a pretty good trade-off for Seattle.

There was some bad officiating in this one. The no-call on the obvious PI on Crabtree was bad IMO. Brock and I think Maxwell were both flagged for silly no-calls on punts. But other than that, I can't think of any calls that were clearly wrong. Whitner's taunting penalty seemed very innocuous, but I don't know what he said.

The Hawks were outplayed - barely. Just accept it. It wasn't the officials running 50 yards untouched in the fourth quarter. Neither team played all that well, IMO, but the Niners pulled it out in the end.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Several things really stood out in this one that I want to address involving the WRs. We saw Seattle getting guys open through scheme. Now, it's always a bit tough to see what guys are doing on TV, and Seattle ran a lot more man coverage than we did in this game, but we all saw Seattle receivers running wide open across the field.

Seattle - which has a defensive-minded HC and a second-year QB - is getting production from guys like Jermaine Kearse and Luke Willson. For all the talk of Kap not having weapons, McDonald started over Willson in college, yet Willson's game on Sunday arguably betters McDonald's entire season (and would have produced a better fantasy score). Kearse shouldn't be any better than guys like Williams, Baldwin, and Patton (granted Patton hasn't had much of a chance to date). I'm just so fed up with this coaching staff struggling to make things happen in the passing game. I want to see an influx of talent at WR this offseason, but I also want to see some changes on the staff.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Several things really stood out in this one that I want to address involving the WRs. We saw Seattle getting guys open through scheme. Now, it's always a bit tough to see what guys are doing on TV, and Seattle ran a lot more man coverage than we did in this game, but we all saw Seattle receivers running wide open across the field.

Seattle - which has a defensive-minded HC and a second-year QB - is getting production from guys like Jermaine Kearse and Luke Willson. For all the talk of Kap not having weapons, McDonald started over Willson in college, yet Willson's game on Sunday arguably betters McDonald's entire season (and would have produced a better fantasy score). Kearse shouldn't be any better than guys like Williams, Baldwin, and Patton (granted Patton hasn't had much of a chance to date). I'm just so fed up with this coaching staff struggling to make things happen in the passing game. I want to see an influx of talent at WR this offseason, but I also want to see some changes on the staff.

100% agree

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's because your DBs are coached to be extremely physical and basically dare the officials to throw the flag. Apparently neither Hawks fans or players are accustomed to the officials actually doing so with regularity, based on the reaction I'm seeing here and in the press. Do you dispute that Sherman and Maxwell were holding when they were flagged? They gave up five yard penalties when we should have had guys getting open behind your D. That's a pretty good trade-off for Seattle.

There was some bad officiating in this one. The no-call on the obvious PI on Crabtree was bad IMO. Brock and I think Maxwell were both flagged for silly no-calls on punts. But other than that, I can't think of any calls that were clearly wrong. Whitner's taunting penalty seemed very innocuous, but I don't know what he said.

The Hawks were outplayed - barely. Just accept it. It wasn't the officials running 50 yards untouched in the fourth quarter. Neither team played all that well, IMO, but the Niners pulled it out in the end.

I agree there was some holding no question, but it went both way's … Game pretty much evened out with the calls and you guy's pulled it off in the end… I agree you guy's earned it no excuses here… Grandfather Gore has a little magic left… :] He's been a tough dude against us over the years…

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

49ers win huge game despite Greg Roman and Colin Kaepernick | Chat49ers.com

BINGO posted that in another thread but I think it's pretty right on.

I've been on coaching staff for the past few weeks but I do acknowledge everyone on every level on the offense has their own share of the blame.

But my thoughts on this is you need to start at the top as that is where everything trickles down from and that means Roman and company need to do a better job of maximizing the talent and improving their scheme.

What boogles my mind is in 2011 Roman and the coaching staff were great at scheming and exploiting weaknesses in defenses and being one step ahead of what they were thinking.

Now he just seems completely stubborn and predictable and continues to stick with things that don't work or are not very effective.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stu, even Pete has admitted on more than one occasion that his backs push the envelope of what's allowed, and they'll live with the consequences and adjust. Sherman whining about the calls just shows that he's a punk. I like him sometimes, but he's not gracious.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's tough to say precisely what's gone wrong with Roman. It seemed like our offense used to be more diverse, with a nice mix of short and long routes. We've always leaned on the straight-ahead, power running game, but with a RB like Gore, that made sense. Now I can't help but wonder if Roman just doesn't know how to run anything else, though. The recipe on stopping the Niners is out there. Against mediocre Ds, we have enough weapons to be effective. But any front-seven worth its salt provides huge problems for us.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's tough to say precisely what's gone wrong with Roman. It seemed like our offense used to be more diverse, with a nice mix of short and long routes. We've always leaned on the straight-ahead, power running game, but with a RB like Gore, that made sense. Now I can't help but wonder if Roman just doesn't know how to run anything else, though. The recipe on stopping the Niners is out there. Against mediocre Ds, we have enough weapons to be effective. But any front-seven worth its salt provides huge problems for us.

Yup, it is very odd. He seems to be channeling Singletary and Nolan. Hunter is now an afterthought, LMJ not a thought at all. McDonald is out of the equation too. Meanwhile, Ginn is putting in a solid year with Carolina. We don't know the pass game anymore and it has been a long time since we knew receivers. We need to find a great receivers coach and scouts.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing is wrong with Roman. The Manginus

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got done watching it again, here are my thoughts:

1. I understand the frustration with the offense, but having watched Seattle's defense all year I was not that frustrated-- they have an outstanding line, and linebackers (maybe not as good as ours, but still), and the best secondary in the league by a mile. Especially when they get to hold! It seems like the playcalling was mediocre, and not inventive, but Seattle has a quick defense with guys that are tall and rangy and have long arms -- what is Roman supposed to call in those situations? Screens don't work against a team like that, maybe less up the gut runs, but runs to the sidelines just play to their strengths and if you are running crossing routes or routes in the middle it seems like it just gives their secondary more of a chance to be physical. I also liked that Boldin on a couple of plays actually came back and bailed him out when he was in trouble.

2. I have been disappointed in Kaepernick this year and he started off slowly, but I thought he played well in spots. I saw him looking downfield even when the Seahawk defenders were closing in on him, something he has not done that much against great defenses this year, he looked at more of his receivers, like throwing across the field to Davis in the red zone. Yes, he still seems to lock on, but he did that less, against a top notch opponent that was grabbing and holding. His interception I also think was not the result of a poor decision, he just made a poor throw, he should have lofted it higher and he's certainly capable of doing that with his arm. It was a gutty performance against the best team in football. I think he needed this type of game and he got it, it wasn't pretty but he made plays when they needed them. Maybe this will help him when he plays in Seattle.

3. Despite what Sherman, Carroll, and others said, they wanted this game badly. I could tell from the press up here, the quotes, they were just protesting too much that this was another game. This game gives me hope, since after all, the last game in Seattle it was close for much of the game.

4. Seattle DBs hold all the time, all the calls against their backs were legit and they should have called one on Maxwell, Jeremy Lane, and Richard Sherman. I think Carroll's strategy of pushing the envelope is fine, but it would be interesting to see if Sherman and the others would be as good if they were called out as much as they could be. My guess is that they would not be nearly so dominating.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not saying that Roman and Co don't need to scheme better to get players open. Our route combinations have been suspect at best but I think fundamentally the reason why the Seahawks have players running open is because most teams are scared to man up their WRs because of the fear of Wilson scrambling for big yards or moving around and throwing the ball down field in a scramble drill.

Greenbay implemented a strategy similar in the 1st game and Kap went for 400+ yards against them but without Crab Seattle showed everyone the recipe to beat us is play man against our WRs and spy Kap. Now it will be interesting as Crab gets healthier and Kap running more what will defenses due because I don't believe that man to man will continue to work against us and Kap should be able to eat up a zone. These next 3 weeks I hope Roman and Co go back to the mad genius that he was in 2011.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I think there is more to the passing game's futility than meets the eye. Greg Roman was the running game coordinator at Stanford. He just isn't as good at drawing up the passing attack. Baalke and Harbaugh haven't done a great job of buying the groceries. John Morton is the receivers coach and the passing game coordinator. He along with Roman and Harbs have a continuous dialogue throughout the games and come up with the plays that are being called. Morton hasn't done a good job of developing any of the young receivers. The whole staff has been poor at evaluating WR talent. They haven't utilized LMJ Vance McDonald or Kendall hunter in the passing game either.

Couple all of the above issues with Kaepernick's still developing progression reading ability and you will arrive at our current status. A great QB can sometimes make up for having below average receivers (see Brady, Tom 2002) Great receivers can help a backup journey man excel. (Jeffery and Marshall)

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One thing I wanted to mention but forgot about earlier: I thought Kap was moving in the pocket and going through his progressions surprisingly well this past week. He actually did a pretty nice job on the whole of feeling the pressure and stepping up or to the side to give himself more time. He also did a better job keeping his eyes downfield when he fled the pocket. The problem this week was that his accuracy really regressed from the past couple weeks. He threw multiple bad balls. I remember one play in particular when he had forever in the pocket, stepped into his throw, and just wasn't even close to the receiver. It's been a season of one step forward, one step back for this passing game, but I was pleased to see Kap looking somewhat more comfortable in the pocket, particularly against a premier defense.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I've been wondering about Mangini's impact on the gameplan. Anyone have any insight into this?

He studies the film of the opposing defense and he gives insight to the offensive staff from a defensive perspective in how the opposing defense might attack them.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't get why Seattle was playing for the field goal on their last score. They were already withinaneasy distance and it seemed they just ran a run play just to run one. I guess there could have been an interception, but if a FG is betting on us not being able to go from the 20 to field goal range, even an INT would be little difference, just try to get a stop/ball back. A TD would have made us have to go that far. I guess they'd rather lose by Gore ands kicker that Boldin to beat their corners. :/