• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So to Keep or not to keep

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my league we are allowed 5 keepers.
Now you can keep less & draft earlier than the others if you like.
Right now I am keeping four.
5th would be Cooper Kupp. Who at times was great, but with Woods now taking a lot of the catches & Kupp being used more for Blocking. I wasnt planning on keeping him. Then they went & picked up a gunslinger in Stafford.
So while I still lean towards drafting a round early vs. keeping him. I am curious what you guys think. Especially Rams fans that are paying attention to what is going on there right now.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty high on Cooper Kupp this year. I think he'd be a "Golden Tate on steriods" with Stafford at the helm. And in his prime, Tate was always good for 90+ and usually 1K.

Even with the blocking more, Kupp still had 90+ and near 1K last year. his TD's are where he lost a ton of value from where he was. And there I fault Goff regressing as a passer, and the offense as a whole taking a step back (mostly because of Goff). I expect Stafford to get that back up to snuff, and to not throw 120+ targets at TE's- I think I read that only KC and Vegas threw more to TE's last season, and they obviously have TE's that are much more worthy of those targets than Higbee.

as to keep him or not, I guess that depends on what you think might be available in that first round of the draft of what's left over, and how you handle the rookies coming in. How many teams in the league? and you'd have a better feel for the tendancies of who might be kept on each roster, and who might be available. Also, what are your team needs? of those other 4 keepers, where are you light? Would Kupp be your second or third, or maybe even 4th WR? What are your other available options for keepers? Are guys like Harris, Etienne, and Chase available in this draft or are they in a separate rookie draft?

hard to really say much one way or the other. But in a vacuum, yes I would want to keep Kupp. But not if it'll cost me a shot at Harris, or J. Chase, or maybe some other name that might not be kept from another team's roster.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5th would be Cooper Kupp. Who at times was great, but with Woods now taking a lot of the catches & Kupp being used more for Blocking. I wasnt planning on keeping him. Then they went & picked up a gunslinger in Stafford.
So while I still lean towards drafting a round early vs. keeping him. I am curious what you guys think. Especially Rams fans that are paying attention to what is going on there right now.

you are leaving out a big factor, and thats how many teams....

if this is a 14 or more team league, i would keep him...

but if this is a 12 or less i would probably not keep him... like you said, if you dont keep him, you will have an earlier round pick, so you will likely have solid choices that are at least similar to cupp there...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kupp is fine, but the answer lies in who is not being kept elsewhere, which could “force” you into drafting earlier. (I don’t really understand these leagues...move up the draft board if you choose to not keep someone?)

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5th would be Cooper Kupp.
As of now in redraft leagues, Kupp is ranked 46 which is equal to a late 4th round pick. So there would be some value in keeping him.

Sounds like your league does not penalize (round) for the keepers. So if everyone is keeping their best 4 or 5 players, i am guessing the top 50 or 60 players will be off the table.

If thats the case, Kupp should be in play.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of now in redraft leagues, Kupp is ranked 46 which is equal to a late 4th round pick. So there would be some value in keeping him.

Sounds like your league does not penalize (round) for the keepers. So if everyone is keeping their best 4 or 5 players, i am guessing the top 50 or 60 players will be off the table.

he would, but if everyone else is keeping 5 and he keeps four, who does tht open up to him getting early on....like others have said. If it doesnt nab you a top rookie, then keep em....which is im guessing what you are saying

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
drop him if you think you have a shot at Harris or Chase, I think you would have a very realistic chance to just draft Kupp again if you miss out on your draft targets

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
drop him if you think you have a shot at Harris or Chase, I think you would have a very realistic chance to just draft Kupp again if you miss out on your draft targets
id throw pitts in the mix also

:suds:

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

with the added effect of any possible stacked teams... someone out there with three good RB and three or four WR (outranking Kupp), maybe with a Kelce or elite QB.... can only keep five.

scenarios definitely need more study in this league.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt think of that. Good call. Something for Schmoopy to consider if he sits near the top of the draft.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are your other four keepers?
Patrick Mahomes QB
Justin Jefferson WR
CeeDee Lamb WR
D'Andre Swift RB
how many teams?
is it PPR
how many WR do u use?

scoring also matter do WR get bonus points?

if i understand right kupp would get him a 5th round pick to replace him
12 team 1/2 PPR League
2 WRs one flex
bonus pts per 100 yards
yes 5th round. In this league which I have been in since 2003 is if you keep a player it takes your next pick.
is exactly what I am hoping for. Or another top RB. but usually if a guy doesnt like his team & wants to target a guy. he will only keep three or less players. I have seen where they kept zero & started all over essentially. Most times we keep 5 though.

WRs are a bit easier to find decent guys. RBs are like gold in my league. They are hard to replace if you need one. No one gives them up. So my goal will be to try & find a good starter (hopefully) with the 5th rd pick. But if we think Kupp is gonna blow up like he did a couple years ago. I would keep him.
Tough thing in my league. We have to know (guess) when a player is gonna start heading down hill & go find a younger replacement.
WRs. For instance. CeeDee is replacing Kupp as my 2nd WR keeper.
Typically I keep 5 & Ideally like setting my starters QB/RB/RB/WR/WR but occasionally I have done one RB & three WRs. But last year was a shit show for RBs for me.
Keeping Swift in hopes he becomes their main man who also catches. Trading Stafford from the lions didnt help me any. Hopefully Goff dumps off to him a lot.
My Primary thought is to go find my 2nd RB. I placed 5th so I wont be in the 1st half of the draft. Unless the 5th round starts backwards, but either way I will be in the middle somewhere.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Mahomes QB
Justin Jefferson WR
CeeDee Lamb WR
D'Andre Swift RB

12 team 1/2 PPR League
2 WRs one flex
bonus pts per 100 yards
yes 5th round. In this league which I have been in since 2003 is if you keep a player it takes your next pick.

is exactly what I am hoping for. Or another top RB. but usually if a guy doesnt like his team & wants to target a guy. he will only keep three or less players. I have seen where they kept zero & started all over essentially. Most times we keep 5 though.

WRs are a bit easier to find decent guys. RBs are like gold in my league. They are hard to replace if you need one. No one gives them up. So my goal will be to try & find a good starter (hopefully) with the 5th rd pick. But if we think Kupp is gonna blow up like he did a couple years ago. I would keep him.
Tough thing in my league. We have to know (guess) when a player is gonna start heading down hill & go find a younger replacement.
Typically I keep 5 & Ideally like setting my starters QB/RB/RB/WR/WR but occasionally I have done one RB & three WRs. But last year was a shit show for RBs for me.
Keeping Swift in hopes he becomes their main man who also catches. Trading Stafford from the lions didnt help me any. Hopefully Goff dumps off to him a lot.
My Primary thought is to go find my 2nd RB. I placed 5th so I wont be in the 1st half of the draft. Unless the 5th round starts backwards, but either way I will be in the middle somewhere.
Man id target some rbs for just this year. Like mike davis. If rbs r scarce id take mike davis over kupp for sure.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slightly off topic..but I find it interesting, to say the least, that virtually everyone who comes in here, talks about leagues where RB's are gold...yet all the "experts" are all about the "zero RB " strategy.

And they can analytically prove that that's the way to win...on paper...yet rarely do we see owners win truly competitive leagues, without strong RB's

@Schmoopy1000 . ...I'd toss Kupp into the pile and see what you can find picking a round earlier.

Last edited:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slightly off topic..but I find it interesting, to say the least, that virtually everyone who comes in here, talks about leagues where RB's are gold...yet all the "experts" are all about the "zero RB " strategy.

And they can analytically prove that that's the way to win...on paper...yet rarely do we see owners win truly competitive leagues, without strong RB's

@Schmoopy1000 . ...I'd toss Kupp into the pile and see what you can find picking a round earlier.
If he doesnt like your pickings, the worst u lost is kupp, or maybe you even get him back.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Mahomes QB
Justin Jefferson WR
CeeDee Lamb WR
D'Andre Swift RB

12 team 1/2 PPR League
2 WRs one flex
bonus pts per 100 yards

I’d use the 5th round pick.

Gotta assume at worst you could just take Kupp again.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Schmoopy1000 do you know who other guys are keeping? Or are you able to see some, before making a decision. We're all bored. IF you wanna post each teams roster, we can brainstorm, potential keepers and who may be available.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of players are going to be available and how many teams ahead of you will keep the full 5 players?