• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So if we get blown out at home tomorrow night

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that officially end the Shanahan era and start the Art Brilles speculation?? And I will preface this by saying I expect we will get totally dominated until mid 3rd quarter. But Bobert will put up a statistically palatable game in a valiant come from behind effort.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. We shouldn't get rid of Shanahan...end of story. The coaching carousel needs to end and our team could use some stability.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As many of you know, I have been critical at times of this coaching staff. But now is not the time to abandon Shanahan. We have to take a serious look at where this team was when he was hired. We had nothing. We were in complete disarray. WE were as low as a franchise could get. In short, we were probably no better than an expansion team in their first year in the league except he had no draft picks and a bloated salary cap.

So he comes in and he jettisons the dead wood the first year. He tries to make a move or 2 to at least make us respectable in games, with the McNabb fiasco being his real big mistake. He has no draft picks as the cupboards were left bare by the previous front office. So his first two drafts are a bunch of mid to low round picks. He is dumpster diving looking for a keeper or two. That is all he can do.

He finally is in a position to get his franchise QB in year 3 but it is going to cost a pretty penny. Most everyone (except Shark) thinks he did the right thing. He lands the darling of the 2012 draft and it pays off. He takes his team from the cellar to a division champ in the first year with a real QB. But his QB suffers a devastating injury in their first playoff game. Oh, BTW, the league has also imposed a devastating 2 year salary cap penalty on the franchise, limiting his ability to sign quality talent for the next couple of years.

His fourth year is a step back. The cap penalty is taking its toll. He had way too many holes to fill and not enough resources to address them all. His star QB has suffered all season from lack of preparation due to injury recovery.

But here's the thing. He is building this team the right way. Mostly through the draft with a sprinkling of FAs to augment. On offense, we have 5 PB caliber players and the 5 most critical positions (QB, RB, TE, WR, LT). On defense, he has drafted a slew of young secondary players that all have potential, but need development. He is finally entering an offseason where he has resources to address some of the glaring holes on his team. He won't be able to address them all, but can put a significant dent in some lingering issues.

I really don't see how any other coach could have handled this situation he inherited any better, especially one coming from the NCAA ranks and unfamiliar with the nuances of building and fielding an NFL team. Shanahan has earned the right to have this offseason to further develop this team. This will be the first offseason he has had where he is not handicapped by the previous regime's mistakes in some form. Lets see what he can do with some cap space. Let's see what he can do with a healthy RG3 (hopefully) working in the offseason solely focused on becoming a premier pocket passer. IMO, he deserves that opportunity no matter what happens the rest of this year, short of him losing the locker room. As long as the team has his back, he should be the coach of the Redskins next year.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As many of you know, I have been critical at times of this coaching staff. But now is not the time to abandon Shanahan. We have to take a serious look at where this team was when he was hired. We had nothing. We were in complete disarray. WE were as low as a franchise could get. In short, we were probably no better than an expansion team in their first year in the league except he had no draft picks and a bloated salary cap.

So he comes in and he jettisons the dead wood the first year. He tries to make a move or 2 to at least make us respectable in games, with the McNabb fiasco being his real big mistake. He has no draft picks as the cupboards were left bare by the previous front office. So his first two drafts are a bunch of mid to low round picks. He is dumpster diving looking for a keeper or two. That is all he can do.

He finally is in a position to get his franchise QB in year 3 but it is going to cost a pretty penny. Most everyone (except Shark) thinks he did the right thing. He lands the darling of the 2012 draft and it pays off. He takes his team from the cellar to a division champ in the first year with a real QB. But his QB suffers a devastating injury in their first playoff game. Oh, BTW, the league has also imposed a devastating 2 year salary cap penalty on the franchise, limiting his ability to sign quality talent for the next couple of years.

His fourth year is a step back. The cap penalty is taking its toll. He had way too many holes to fill and not enough resources to address them all. His star QB has suffered all season from lack of preparation due to injury recovery.

But here's the thing. He is building this team the right way. Mostly through the draft with a sprinkling of FAs to augment. On offense, we have 5 PB caliber players and the 5 most critical positions (QB, RB, TE, WR, LT). On defense, he has drafted a slew of young secondary players that all have potential, but need development. He is finally entering an offseason where he has resources to address some of the glaring holes on his team. He won't be able to address them all, but can put a significant dent in some lingering issues.

I really don't see how any other coach could have handled this situation he inherited any better, especially one coming from the NCAA ranks and unfamiliar with the nuances of building and fielding an NFL team. Shanahan has earned the right to have this offseason to further develop this team. This will be the first offseason he has had where he is not handicapped by the previous regime's mistakes in some form. Lets see what he can do with some cap space. Let's see what he can do with a healthy RG3 (hopefully) working in the offseason solely focused on becoming a premier pocket passer. IMO, he deserves that opportunity no matter what happens the rest of this year, short of him losing the locker room. As long as the team has his back, he should be the coach of the Redskins next year.

:agree:

i just hope we dont get blown out so we can move on from the way this doom and gloom tone is taking us

it seems shark has made up his mind on RG3 and is convinced of his flat failure

Shenanihanigans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the majority of what jy said, but a few counter arguments:

It is due to shanahan's gross negligence, with respect to the handling of rg3's injury, that we are in the predicament (meaning rg3's stunted growth) that we are in. EVERYBODY who watched the Seattle game knew that RG3 was injured after he threw the td pass. EVERYBODY. Hiding behind dr James Andrews was shallow, cold, and very weasel-like.

Kyle shanahan's immaturity with respect to taking some blame for some losses / poor play calling is ALSO a concern. It doesn't seem like the redskins in general, the offense or defense in specific are ready to run through a wall for either of these two guys. That is a problem.

Shanahan's dealing with "unwanted players" leaves a lot to be desired. Haynesworth is one thing, but Josh Morgan? Fred Davis? They can't ALL be malcontents.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It is due to shanahan's gross negligence, with respect to the handling of rg3's injury, that we are in the predicament (meaning rg3's stunted growth) that we are in. EVERYBODY who watched the Seattle game knew that RG3 was injured after he threw the td pass. EVERYBODY. Hiding behind dr James Andrews was shallow, cold, and very weasel-like.

Kyle shanahan's immaturity with respect to taking some blame for some losses / poor play calling is ALSO a concern. It doesn't seem like the redskins in general, the offense or defense in specific are ready to run through a wall for either of these two guys. That is a problem.

Shanahan's dealing with "unwanted players" leaves a lot to be desired. Haynesworth is one thing, but Josh Morgan? Fred Davis? They can't ALL be malcontents.

And this is where I, too, am critical of Shanahan. I have issues how they have tactically handled some things. I would also include in game time management and the continued high number of critical penalties that occur under this regime.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

AH and DMAC are one thing . davis and morgan are not . davis just got beaten out by reed , morgan got beaten out by hank . both will simply not be brought back at the current prices

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At the root of it all, I still consider this too. We'd gotten Cousins specifically if the injury we feared might happen actually happened, and we didn't use him. Big pressure playoff game or not, RG shouldn't have been allowed to go back out. That's had a ripple effect all the way to where we are now.

Mitziman

i know you don't like to hear the truth, but...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does that officially end the Shanahan era and start the Art Brilles speculation?? And I will preface this by saying I expect we will get totally dominated until mid 3rd quarter. But Bobert will put up a statistically palatable game in a valiant come from behind effort.

If Shanahan is fired, why would we go with another offensive minded HC? Offense is not the problem. It's Defense! And for that reason, I would hope Allen considers...Lovie Smith

Buffalo_Nickel_1

Hoopla Cash
$ 268.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You either fire shany or fire haslet but not both

Shenanihanigans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't think you fire shanny or Haslett, but only because they deserve an offseason with a (hopefully) healthy RG3, money to spend, and every draft pick other than their first rounder.

I think it's a good sign that the niners are clearly picking on Josh Wilson, and not Amerson.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one would like to see what a young innovative coach can do. Hire a real defensive coordinator and possibly a Josh McDaniel type coach to lead the offense.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didnt he just agree to a new 10-year deal with Baylor?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt he just agree to a new 10-year deal with Baylor?

If so, then we might end up with some other college coach, or some other retread. But I think tonight sealed the fate of Shanny.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Shanny is gone. He's lost both the team and the Skins fanbase.