• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Mountain West Power Rankings - Week 2

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was not such a great week for the conference as a few teams missed opportunities and lost games they shouldn't have

1. Boise State - Boise State had a very dominant effort against UConn, so much so that I'm pretty sure the box score is NSFW. If it weren't for a few kneels at the end they would have set a conference record for yardage. Now comes the real test as the Broncos hit the road for a big matchup with Oklahoma State.

2. Hawai'i - It's really sad to say but Hawai'i is the only non-Boise State undefeated team remaining in the conference. Even if there were more unbeaten teams Hawai'i performance this year has been well worth the 2nd spot. This week they took care of business against Rice, though the same issues remained as their defense isn't the best and they occasionally go into lulls without scoring during games allowing opponents to come back. This week could be a tripping point for them, they face Army on the road for a 6am start Hawai'i time....not only do they have the long trip and early start but with a hurricane approaching down south it looks like there will be some awful conditions that favor Army.

3. Utah State - Utah State is another team that looks set for a big rise in conference play. They followed up a near upset of Michigan State with a total destruction of New Mexico State. The Matt Wells era by the way is something else, they started out good, suddenly declined and now it seems he has righted the ship again, it's enough to make him a long term coach here suddenly. Next it's a short week as they play Tennessee Tech a bad FCS team.

4. San Diego State - San Diego State surprisingly struggled with Sacramento State actually trailing entering the 4th quarter but they also employed a rather conservative gameplan. They definitely don't look too bad as USC was also pummeled by Stanford. San Diego State has a huge home test taking on Herm Edwards and Arizona State who are coming off a big win over Michigan State.

5. Fresno State - What a disappointing performance by Fresno State, of the performances the MWC had Saturday this was absolutely the most disappointing. The offense was terrible in their contest against Minnesota. Still they had a chance to win with the ball on Minnesota's 4, they tried a trick play and got intercepted. It's tough to fault them on that as they originally had a wide open player but Antoine Winfield Jr had incredible closing speed and made a great catch to seal the win. Fresno State now goes up against a UCLA team who's searching for their first win with Chip Kelly as the coach.

6. UNLV - UNLV faced a UTEP team that quite honestly is struggling badly right now. Still they took care of business and blew them out 52-24. Next they play against Prairie View a 1-2 FCS opponent but UNLV better be careful as they lost to a FCS opponent last year.

7. Colorado State - Quite honestly it's tough to get an idea about this team. Things looked awful at first as they were beaten at home by Hawai'i and blown out by Colorado and they trailed 27-9 against Arkansas. You would think they would have fallen apart from there but incredibly they rallied and scored 25 unanswered to pull off a stunner. It's tough to tell what to expect going forward but this schedule doesn't calm down as they go on the road to face the Florida Gators next.

8. Air Force - Air Force put themselves in a bad spot against Florida Atlantic as they fell behind early, they took control in the 2nd half but for a team like Air Force that early deficit is too much to overcome. Another thing that didn't help them make a comeback their pass defense, it was awful. They allowed FAU's QB to have a school record 471 passing yards. Air Force gets an early bye week this week.

9. Wyoming - Wyoming was once again not competitive in a loss as they were blown out by Missouri. Considering how badly everyone else has blown out New Mexico State, Wyoming's season opening win doesn't look as great either. Their offense is struggling and will need to be fixed. Next they play Wofford in hopes of working some issues out, however Wofford is 2-0 and could be tougher than expected.

10. New Mexico - How about the Lobos? They ended up challenging the Wisconsin Badgers for a lot longer than expected, New Mexico almost managed to head to halftime with the lead. As expected they eventually fell behind in the 2nd half but this was certainly an encouraging performance that had me considering moving them up higher. Next up is rival New Mexico State who has struggled but has had New Mexico's number lately.

11. Nevada - I thought Nevada could be improved this year but so far it doesn't look good, they were blown out by Vanderbilt which isn't good. Chances are this next week will be more of the same as Nevada plays Oregon State but the game is at home at least.

12. San Jose State - They lost 34-0 to Washington State. This team sucks so bad, there are exactly zero positives I can say about them...In fact San Jose State probably belongs in the Big Sky and would be a lower team there. Next they get to be blown out by Oregon.