• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So I got to ask.....

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think of the new path the defense appears to be on?? Mind you the past two weeks have also been without Hatcheer who will likely start, and Bowen who will likely play into the rotation when he gets healthy.

So far Im seeing what I expected. We are going to bring the heat. And yes I know we will give up a play here and there. But I finally expect to see a defense teams actually have to game plan against the likes of which we have not seen since double GG left.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think of the new path the defense appears to be on?? Mind you the past two weeks have also been without Hatcheer who will likely start, and Bowen who will likely play into the rotation when he gets healthy.

So far Im seeing what I expected. We are going to bring the heat. And yes I know we will give up a play here and there. But I finally expect to see a defense teams actually have to game plan against the likes of which we have not seen since double GG left.

so far hazmat (good nickname not bad :nod:) has done a great job with the defense and is showing why he was retained .

there will be bumps in the road and its only preseason with 2 suspect offenses (no brady ) but they have played well . flacco should be a good test sat nite

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been impressed so far but again like everything else it's pre season and I'm not one to get to high or too low this early. But that being said the guys in D have been outstanding so far. The rooks have looked good and the LBs have also. This could be a middle of pack D and that would be an outstanding upgrade.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure what we have at ILB or the DL. Other then Hatcher its the same DL as last year ... and they were not winning us any Lombardi's.

Still dissapointed we lost Carriker ... but there is alot of youth to have hope in the furture.

Of course the biggest concern has been the secondary.

Cant say we've been tested in the first two games to any extent.

Hopefully B-more plans to stretch out the fields and put the corners/safeties to work.
The battle between Crawford, Biggers & Porter should be one to watch.

I have big expectations for Crawford.

HTTR

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure what we have at ILB or the DL. Other then Hatcher its the same DL as last year ... and they were not winning us any Lombardi's.

Still dissapointed we lost Carriker ... but there is alot of youth to have hope in the furture.

Of course the biggest concern has been the secondary.

Cant say we've been tested in the first two games to any extent.

Hopefully B-more plans to stretch out the fields and put the corners/safeties to work.
The battle between Crawford, Biggers & Porter should be one to watch.

I have big expectations for Crawford.

HTTR

Krush... we didnt lose Carriker, He was just to expensive to keep on the hope that he would get healthy. And dont get me wrong, Im a fan of his. I dont think we have seen the last of him in the NFL though.

Im surprised you left out Chase in that battle for corner depth. I get the feeling we carry six and Chase should make roster if healthy. Word has it Breeland would make a damn good long term Strong Safety. So we still need some youth at corner.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not impressed at all, it is pre-season and live bullets tell a different story. Anybody remember 4-0 last pre-season?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not impressed at all, it is pre-season and live bullets tell a different story. Anybody remember 4-0 last pre-season?

Correct. However - I expect to see a more solid if not spectacular unit this season. The LB corps is pretty impressive & should be an improvement especially since LFB was a shell of himself last season. D-line should certainly be better if Hatcher stays healthy. Secondary is the question mark, but there is certainly reason for hope with the young guys having another year under their belt & the addition of Clark (for experience & leadership if nothing else). Should be fun to watch.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been saying all year that our defense will play better this year. First, the aggressive scheme will make a difference. As SoCal pointed out, we have a very good LB corps, maybe the best overall corps in the league. Amerson is coming into his own and I predict a breakout year for him. DHall is DHall. He will make plays (and give up a few). Clark is an upgrade if for no other reason than experience and leadership. Our rotation of DL between vets and youth should keep everyone fresh. I expect our defense will be in the top half of the league this year.

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
America's safest and most boring city: Irvine, CA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that if the Browns WRs could catch or their QBs could throw, we'd be sitting here wondering how our starting defense gave up 14 points in 3 series. They had some wide open WRs that either JM or BH completely missed or hit them in the hands and they dropped it - one in the end zone in particular.

They seem to be bringing more pressure but still don't seem to be able to cover the floor with a rug. The better QBs will demolish them with quick passes that defeat pressure, like Brady did in practice. Its to be seen how Haslett will adjust to that.

Our secondary is still a weak link, but the Browns couldn't take advantage. Other teams won't be so generous to us.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that if the Browns WRs could catch or their QBs could throw, we'd be sitting here wondering how our starting defense gave up 14 points in 3 series. They had some wide open WRs that either JM or BH completely missed or hit them in the hands and they dropped it - one in the end zone in particular.

They seem to be bringing more pressure but still don't seem to be able to cover the floor with a rug. The better QBs will demolish them with quick passes that defeat pressure, like Brady did in practice. Its to be seen how Haslett will adjust to that.

Our secondary is still a weak link, but the Browns couldn't take advantage. Other teams won't be so generous to us.

Hmmmmm, you make some good points here. Didn't think about the D from this angle.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Come on Sty... if the defense was giving up 200 yards and 14 points in the first quarter, preseason or not the villagers would be lined up outside Ashburn with pitch forks and torches chanting give us Haslett. Everything we hear is the Defense is moving in a different more aggressive direction when it comes to the pass rush, and we are seeing that.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought the same thing on Monday. We easily could have been down 2 scores if we were playing against a good offense.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the same thing on Monday. We easily could have been down 2 scores if we were playing against a good offense.

And we easily could have been up two scores if our own offense didnt turn the ball over. IM liking what I have seen so far from the defense, if buts should of be damned. Every one has been screaming we need to bring more pressure... we start to do that and now the but but but parade begins???? :L

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we easily could have been up two scores if our own offense didnt turn the ball over. IM liking what I have seen so far from the defense, if buts should of be damned. Every one has been screaming we need to bring more pressure... we start to do that and now the but but but parade begins???? :L

Don't include me in your argument.
I agree with what KickSaveDave brought up. The Browns receivers sucked badly, and their qb's brought nothing on monday. We could have been down 2 scores if they were normal.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't include me in your argument.
I agree with what KickSaveDave brought up. The Browns receivers sucked badly, and their qb's brought nothing on monday. We could have been down 2 scores if they were normal.

While the observations are valid, one of the reasons that the QBs were off the mark could be that they had happy feet due to the early pressure we brought. We've seen that here enough times, haven't we?

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While the observations are valid, one of the reasons that the QBs were off the mark could be that they had happy feet due to the early pressure we brought. We've seen that here enough times, haven't we?

It has been better I give you that. I can't expect better offenses to miss on those throws though.
I can only hope that Hatcher is healthy and stays healthy. I think he is the real key to unleashing our pressure this year.
I hope Breeland learned from his mistake and is out 2 games max. He looked good.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Absolutely. The only proof will come during the regular season. My comments were based on their current personnel - not what has occurred during the preseason. Nobody said that this would be a shutdown defense that will constantly keep teams out of the endzone (very few of those exist at this time). However - given decent play by the other units they should at least be an improvement over last season.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so far , in the pre season the defense has played well and i am glad to see it . i think this defense could be a middle of the pack unit

but geez sty we all know it is pre-season , but cant you give a thought on it without over thinking it

you have seen no one on defense who looks improved ?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on Sty... if the defense was giving up 200 yards and 14 points in the first quarter, preseason or not the villagers would be lined up outside Ashburn with pitch forks and torches chanting give us Haslett. Everything we hear is the Defense is moving in a different more aggressive direction when it comes to the pass rush, and we are seeing that.

.............and they just might have if Clevelands' QB's could hit them or they could catch. If anything we are lucky to be able to say it didn't happen. What worries me is this was Cleveland!!! Cleveland!!! and our good fortune was not associated with anything that our defense did, but rather on what they failed to do.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so far , in the pre season the defense has played well and i am glad to see it . i think this defense could be a middle of the pack unit

but geez sty we all know it is pre-season , but cant you give a thought on it without over thinking it

you have seen no one on defense who looks improved ?

In as much as I've tried not to over-think it, you guys snap me back into doing it, by not putting enough thought into it. Ok, so there's added pressure up front, but look at these last two games, specifically, completed passes or what should have been completed passes. Notice the distance between their receivers and our defenders. For those of you who complain that RGIII should practice throwing the ball away or sliding, shouldn't our defensive backs practice what they're going to do in live games? Lord.... I hope this Cleveland game was indicative of that!!