• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So how many NFL teams have NFL-level quarterbacks?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nor Phil Simms
Andy Dalton 3 ProBowls.
Phil Simms 2 ProBowls.
Mitch Trubisky 1 ProBowl.
Joe Flacco 0 ProBowls.

I know...popularity contest, but even so.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andy Dalton 3 ProBowls.
Phil Simms 2 ProBowls.
Mitch Trubisky 1 ProBowl.
Joe Flacco 0 ProBowls.

I know...popularity contest, but even so.
pro bowls are no measuring stick for elite. They could indicate NFL good to average.

Most years I've watched football, only about a third had good QB play throughout the season

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pro bowls are no measuring stick for elite. They could indicate NFL good to average.

Most years I've watched football, only about a third had good QB play throughout the season
Understood, but with at least 6 starting QBs, (often more), getting the honour each season it's pretty difficult for an elite QB to continually avoid recognition. A LB or G on an unfashionable team could be shunned indefinitely.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that so isnt true. Today's QB's tower over what we saw 20-45 years ago. It's not even close.

If you have NFL Network, watch some of the old replays of the games from awhile back. The passing games are laughable compared to today.

And people flat out only remember the top QB's from 20 years ago. The Favre's, Manning's, McNairs. They forget that the rest of the league is made up of Rodney Peete's, Joey Harrigton's, Jay Fielder's, ect, ect.

Remember the days where teams literally started young QB's no matter how bad for at least 2 or 3 full seasons just to make sure they werent going to develop?

Go look at Joey Harrington's stats from 20 years ago. Despite always sucking, he started 4 full years in Detroit because he was a top draft pick. And then after that he still started the majority of the game for the Dolphins one season and the Falcons the next because people were still looking at his college tape and thinking he has a chance to develop. That would never happen today.

Athletes are better today, and I think this is true for all positions and across all sports. And not only are football players better today, but the game planning and rules are much better for the offensive side of the ball than they were in the past. In addition, QB's today have much better receivers, tight ends, and RB's to work with than their predecessors. I think that many great QB's from the past would perform very well today and put up monster stats, but I agree with you that NFL talent is much, much deeper nowadays.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is definitely a changing of the guard right now when it comes to QBs in the NFL

I'd say Brady, Wilson, Rodgers for sure...Stafford and Mahomes too

the new, young guys are stepping up, so guys like Herbert and Allen are the future and probably the best of that future and could be considered elite...

then the borderline who still need to prove themselves or are close, like Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow...maybe Hurts?

I think I would put it closer to 7 or 8 are elite.

If we are talking about today/right now, Josh Allen is no. 1. If all NFL QB's suddenly became free agents, I think teams would make Allen the number 1 target. Mahomes number 2 and Herbert number 3.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we are talking about today/right now, Josh Allen is no. 1.
I agree

and there a lot of young up and comers who will be borderline elite...

however, Josh needs to win something before I can consider him truly elite.

he's certainly a beast, but has he qualified for elite yet?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree

and there a lot of young up and comers who will be borderline elite...

however, Josh needs to win something before I can consider him truly elite.

he's certainly a beast, but has he qualified for elite yet?

I'm just judging him as an individual player, and I think just about every team would want him as their QB. Winning a championship (if that's what you mean) is a team accomplishment and something that also comes down to other big factors, such as teammates, luck and injuries.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh Boy!
to a degree yes but this isn't the Joe Kapp era.

I'll try
The reads, the directions, the decisions, the ability, and few if any mistakes when it's absolutely required at the biggest moments for team success

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is definitely a changing of the guard right now when it comes to QBs in the NFL

the new, young guys are stepping up, so guys like Herbert and Allen are the future and probably the best of that future and could be considered elite...

then the borderline who still need to prove themselves or are close, like Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow...maybe Hurts?

Stafford is not, was not and will never be elite.

His arm is. But he isn’t.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Montana career QB rating = 92.3
Dan Marino career QB rating =86.4
John Elway career QB rating = 79.9

Kirk Cousins career QB rating = 98.3
Jared Goff career QB rating = 91.7
Baker Mayfield career QB rating = 87.6

The bad QB's in today's game pass the ball as or more efficiently than the great ones did back in the day.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The bad QB's in today's game pass the ball as or more efficiently than the great ones did back in the day.
game was different, QB rating determines nothing other than reference to such rating

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's because it was much tougher to pass back then. Montana and Marino would have passer ratings well into the 100's in today's game.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stafford is not, was not and will never be elite.

His arm is. But he isn’t.

Yeah, I agree. He never quite got to that elite level. Very good, but not elite. Too many interceptions.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elite I think would be those that consistently deliver and do the job at a high level for several years, low INT%, clutch when it counts, leadership to get the team pumped, ability to spread ball around and not depend on one “special” player, stuff like that.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but they’ve also never been better. Put Mahomes and Allen in the 2000’s, 90’s, etc and they’d still dominate.
They’d be nothing like they are now though, very few QB’s we’re considered elite back then … Game was just so much more defensive

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol Lamar won MVP but he has to prove himself?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that so isnt true. Today's QB's tower over what we saw 20-45 years ago. It's not even close.

If you have NFL Network, watch some of the old replays of the games from awhile back. The passing games are laughable compared to today.

And people flat out only remember the top QB's from 20 years ago. The Favre's, Manning's, McNairs. They forget that the rest of the league is made up of Rodney Peete's, Joey Harrigton's, Jay Fielder's, ect, ect.

Remember the days where teams literally started young QB's no matter how bad for at least 2 or 3 full seasons just to make sure they werent going to develop?

Go look at Joey Harrington's stats from 20 years ago. Despite always sucking, he started 4 full years in Detroit because he was a top draft pick. And then after that he still started the majority of the game for the Dolphins one season and the Falcons the next because people were still looking at his college tape and thinking he has a chance to develop. That would never happen today.

Mitch trubisky…exists