• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Smyly Time

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
move porcello to the bullpen. And Smyly into the rotation if you know what's good for you leyland

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not sure they will make the change so soon. Angels are the worst possible matchup for rick. Team that puts the ball in play and has speed versus a tigers D that has limited range. Rick needs to be able to use his curve and he just couldn't control it today. So we shall see.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough......No one is calling for Ricks head......I just happen to think Smyly is the better overall pitcher....Don't we need a leftly? What happened to all that talk years ago?

I'm cool with the road trip......It's not as bad as I thought it could get, but still not impressed either.......

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes I would prefer Smyly as the starter. However unless something crazy happens we are talking the fifth starter which reverts back to the pen in the postseason. as far as the road trip. This is the only trip to the west coast this season. So coming back at or around first place to host the Royals and then the braves at home should draw some big crowds.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all know the weather gets warmer so do the bats. The problem becomes September and the air thins out and the bats get cold.....

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thing that scares me is that if porcello cant cut it as a starter, hows he gonna cut it as a reliever. Starters have days to prepare for their appearances, relievers can be called on whenever

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Porcello pitched two innings the other day out of relief and did just fine. The guy had a bad outing and will always be a mediocre pitcher but he does have some value. The 5th starter spot isn't incredibly important, they really just need a guy in there to eat up innings and not be godawful. Granted rick didn't do either of those things against los angeles but it was one game so we shall see how he does in his next start. In other news, starters 1-4 are looking very, very good. Also if they take smyly out of an already questionable pen that may not bode well for the end of games....

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
move porcello to the bullpen. And Smyly into the rotation if you know what's good for you leyland

If you actually watched that game you would be more pissed off about the defensive effort than Porcello's results. It is tough being a ground ball pitcher with this team and I'm sure he would welcome a scenery change. Myself, I would welcome seeing Peralta's behind fixated on the bench if we had an alternative.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need smyly starting. Could use the lefty in the rotation. Porcello to the pen, for when we need a ground ball late in the game. Just really posting to see if my avatar worked lol.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what i'm getting is that most of you would rather still have porcello that smyly as the starter? Why tho? Thats my question. Smyly is a left-hander, something we dont have in our rotation, has better control, and better velocity. Also he's a more fly-out pitcher, somehting that is more suitable for our defense than Porcello, who is a more groundout pitcher.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having a left-hander in the rotation isn't a necessity, or even an advantage. It is much more important to have left handed options out of the bullpen. I'm not saying that Smyly would be a big step down but this early in the season we also need arms out of the pen that can throw substantial innings.

Overall, I don't think it really matters who is the 5th starter but I think fans were a little overzealous in calling for his head after his last start. It wasn't as bad as the numbers would suggest.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smyly is needed in the pen, IMO. Mostly because Phil Coke can't be trusted to get a lefty out to save his life than anything else. Downs has done well, but not well enough to leave Just two lefties out in the pen. Jhonny Peralta is awful btw. I'm going to punch Jim and Dan thru the radio soon if I have to keep hearing about his "positioning" and soft hands. Guy has bad range for a third basemen.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tether ball poles also have even better "positioning". Always in dead center of the action.