• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SJ's 2015-2016 NFL prospect chat

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish writers who post mock drafts like that would post the entirety of the mock. I'd like to see who was still on the board that was passed on for the picks they made. Probably wasn't that in depth of a mock though.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish writers who post mock drafts like that would post the entirety of the mock. I'd like to see who was still on the board that was passed on for the picks they made. Probably wasn't that in depth of a mock though.
:agree:

Reminds me a lot when some writers try to predict season final records for all teams and end up with impossible records, mathematically speaking.

The only way to really do it right is to go week by week for every team to determine the final records. Just as with the draft, round by round for every team to determine who is actually still available.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this mock except for the Hackenburg pick.

NFL Mock Draft: Four Rounds for the Los Angeles Rams

I definitely like the pick of Rankins...We NEED to keep our D-Line dominant to make the rest of the D work. A pick like this could certainly make that happen(especially with the possible loss of Brockers on the horizon and the loss of Fairly) The rest of that draft? Not so much...Doctson would be AMAZING in the second round there, but come on, just not going to happen unless there's something VERY important we don't know about him at this point.

Last edited:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if the Rams intend not to prioritize Brockers, Rankins appears to play Donald's role, not Brockers. A line full of pass rushers will be terrible against the run (unless they manage to find the RB on their way to the QB).

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't see the #4 rated WR being there in the mid-2nd round. These draft "gurus" are hacks.

A RB? really? :lol:

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the BPA at #15 would be DT Jarran Reed (who is a run stopper) or CB Eli Apple.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the BPA at #15 would be DT Jarran Reed (who is a run stopper) or CB Eli Apple.

Apple I have heard about going that high or higher...Reed I have NO idea about...

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping Treadwell falls.

probably wishful thinking, but this team desperately needs WR's that can actually play vs having "potential".

even with what Austin has shown he can do, he was still a huge reach at #8 when you consider Hopkins went #26 and is way better and wouldn't have cost a 2nd rounder to boot.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eli Apple tackles like Fiona Apple

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am watching the NFL Insiders at the spring Owners meetings in Boca Florida. They have a number of guests that included Dave Gettleman, the GM of the Carolina Panthers. Joe Namath's best friend when he is inebriated, Suzie Colber, asked Dave what is the characteristics of the average draft-eligible college player today as opposed to the past?

Unequivocally, without hesitation Dave stated they are over-paying for players coming out of college who are football fundamentally lacking and require at least three years of development in order to be NFL ready because of the 20-minute rule. He apparently is spot on and his statement explains a guy like GRob! The draft is even more of a crap shoot with this revelation that apparently NFL Insiders are quite aware of these days!

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that problem isn't going away Retro.

When these college players are playing in systems that barely resemble a pro-style offense, it leaves these guys with a huge learning curve.

Until the college game starts running pro-style offenses, teams will continue to be drafting based on "potential" rather than what they can clearly see on film. Because what they see on film does not equate to the pro game and teams are left hoping said players reach their "potential" versus busting.

Another thing that needs to change is the combine. A lot of those drills make no sense when it comes to game play. They have all the players running drills in shorts. Shouldn't they be in their gear? Wouldn't that be a more accurate measurement for these players?

Why is the 40 started in a starting block position? The only players that start plays with their hands to the ground are linemen. Everyone else is standing up. Wouldn't it make more sense to test them in a stance that is more indicative of the position they play?

I don't know. It just seems like a lot of stuff the NFL does to evaluate talent just doesn't make any sense and probably is a contributing factor to so many players busting or not reaching their "potential" because their evaluation of the players is off.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep ALR. Gettleman addressed those concerns in a rather lengthy interview on that show and he was resonating a lot of frustration that the NFL continues with an antiquated system that you referenced in the combine that simply provides little information to the real NFL "potential" a given player may have for a given position.

Even with the most talented players, it still takes time to get them NFL ready to where they actually playing at the level of their salaries. Look at Cam Newton. It has taken Newton about three years to get really good. With GRob this will be his third year, so we may see a really different player this year.

Another example is Gurley. Even though he had a good year right out of the box, he still had some lapses at the end and he sat for the first couple of games to get healthy and more "seasoning". Apparently Bill Walsh has been right all along even though the man is pushing up daisies.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping Treadwell falls.

probably wishful thinking, but this team desperately needs WR's that can actually play vs having "potential".

even with what Austin has shown he can do, he was still a huge reach at #8 when you consider Hopkins went #26 and is way better and wouldn't have cost a 2nd rounder to boot.

Treadwell has the size, tools to be pretty dam good in the NFL. Not sure how his knee is - he had a bad injury towards the end of the 2014-2015 season. I would not be pissed with Treadwell at #15 at all.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep ALR. Gettleman addressed those concerns in a rather lengthy interview on that show and he was resonating a lot of frustration that the NFL continues with an antiquated system that you referenced in the combine that simply provides little information to the real NFL "potential" a given player may have for a given position.

Even with the most talented players, it still takes time to get them NFL ready to where they actually playing at the level of their salaries. Look at Cam Newton. It has taken Newton about three years to get really good. With GRob this will be his third year, so we may see a really different player this year.

Another example is Gurley. Even though he had a good year right out of the box, he still had some lapses at the end and he sat for the first couple of games to get healthy and more "seasoning". Apparently Bill Walsh has been right all along even though the man is pushing up daisies.

Gurley is a beast. There's still some beasts coming out that are ready. But a guy like GRob that run blocked 85% of the time in college had no business coming into the NFC West and playing LT - he obviously was not ready. Hopefully in year 3 he will be.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree SJ76 on both players. Gettleman was stating that very thing. There are certain players that just are NFL ready right out of the box like RBs and WRs such as Gurley. The norm however is that many players like O-lineman and QBs and many on D are so lacking in football fundamentals that they have to over-pay these guys to keep them around long enough to develop them for the NFL and get a return on investment.

The teams that juggle this rotation well usually are at the top of things in the win column. This is why Bellicheat and Kraft are where they are. They have a proven system that works with this. That and a little cheating to help things along.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WRs are becoming a crap shoot as well. Look at the Baylor guys for example; that spread offense doesn't require them to learn a route tree. As a result, no matter how explosive someone like Coleman may be, he's a poor route runner and doesn't block.

The college spread and the lack of player development resulting from that is really hurting the draft process.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Treadwell didn't run the 40 at the combine. Let's see what he times at his pro day.

As far as the 40 being a predictor of NFL potential, you better be able to get off the field when the Patricheats run one of their quick snaps!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Rice wasn't all that speedy as a 40 time goes. But his first couple of steps were explosively quick and he had hands of glue and the rest is history!