• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sixers - Revisionist history

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redick and coach Brown (Popovich protege) have enough big game playoff experience that should give them the edge over the Pacers. But whether their young stars are disciplined enough in big moments will be the big question.

Dude.

I don't care if they have the edge or not. They aren't a serious contender this year. It is about building experience for the future.

And wrong. Brett Brown had never been a head coach in the playoffs. It is MUCH different as an assistant. Reddick' experience is nice. It is literally why they brought him in. But the other key players have none.

And again, anything they accomplish this year is gravy. They were only supposed to get there.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude.

I don't care if they have the edge or not. They aren't a serious contender this year. It is about building experience for the future.

And wrong. Brett Brown had never been a head coach in the playoffs. It is MUCH different as an assistant. Reddick' experience is nice. It is literally why they brought him in. But the other key players have none.

And again, anything they accomplish this year is gravy. They were only supposed to get there.

He's so desperate to be "right" and to "win the internet" that he just can't help himself.

No team as young as the Sixers can be expected to accomplish much in the playoffs, regardless of how talented they are.

Everything is different about the playoffs. The pressure is different and increases every round. There aren't games that a team can just "let go" and use as a learning experience because "it's not their night". You see the same team 4-7 games in a row and need to make game to game adjustments which favors the more experienced team. The games are even officiated differently.

Heck, OKC with KD, Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka had to fail twice in the Western Conference playoffs before they broke through and made it to the finals. And they actually arrived a season or 2 early, imo.

Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Brown has plenty of playoff experience as an assistant. That is more important than the fact that the players don't. He will react to every situation exactly like Pop did because he sat on the bench next to him for a few years. Basically he is Pop.

LOL.

You could tell he was just grasping at anything by that point.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So since 1975 there have only been 10 teams where the top 4 players had zero playoff experience.

Only 2 of those teams advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Kinda further blows up Cane's weak argument.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tlance @flyerhawk Brett Brown has had ties with the Spurs organization since 1998...That's a lot of experience you guys are just throwing out the window.

A head coach would have been fired 99.9% of the time if they were to post the record Philly had from 2013 through 2016. Brown didn't though, and that says a lot about his credentials.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@tlance @flyerhawk Brett Brown has had ties with the Spurs organization since 1998...That's a lot of experience you guys are just throwing out the window.

A head coach would have been fired 99.9% of the time if they were to post the record Philly had from 2013 through 2016. Brown didn't though, and that says a lot about his credentials.

I am not throwing anything out the window and I think Brett Brown is a very good coach.

But, I am telling you from personal experience. Being the head coach is MUCH different. You move up 1 seat on the bench and everything changes. Decisions that were crystal clear are much more difficult because now YOU are the one that has to make them. There is a lot of pressure there and Brown has never faced that.

Experience as an assistant does not equate to experience as a head. It is not at all the same.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, it says a lot about the Process.
You should trust it sometime....

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it says a lot about the Process.
You should trust it sometime....

Agreed.

Philly didn't have a competitive roster. Too many coaches are judged by wins and losses without proper context. Billy Donovan has had a winning record the last 3 years, but you will be hard pressed to find someone who thinks he has done a good job there.

I am glad Brown did not get tossed out when Hinkie did. Both did their jobs well.

That all said, while firing him now would be completely undeserved, their would not be any Jay Wright to 6er speculation if Brown truly had the credentials that @HurricaneDij39 claims.

Success as an assistant only counts for so much. Every head coach in the NBA gets there in 1 of 3 ways:

1) big name former player
2) highly successful college coach
3) experience as an assistant coach, usually from a winning program

Every former assistant in the league that is externally hired has come from a winning program. You don't find assistants from losing teams getting promoted unless it is internal. Brown is not yet proven as a head coach and his leash will be short if they ever underachieve moving forward.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree tlance.
Brett Brown is on the clock next season.

I don't really think Jay Wright wants to coach in the NBA, but who knows.
I wouldn't want him here, as there is just too much risk involved.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not throwing anything out the window and I think Brett Brown is a very good coach.

But, I am telling you from personal experience. Being the head coach is MUCH different. You move up 1 seat on the bench and everything changes. Decisions that were crystal clear are much more difficult because now YOU are the one that has to make them. There is a lot of pressure there and Brown has never faced that.

Experience as an assistant does not equate to experience as a head. It is not at all the same.

Last time we faced, the Sixers, we had nine turnovers while they had 21, and we won the game in Philly in spite of Vic and Bogey shooting a combined 5-of-33 from the field. The turnover differential decided the whole game.

Discipline. Discipline. Discipline.

The more disciplined team, not the more experienced team, will win a would-be series between the two teams. That was my whole initial argument to begin with.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last time we faced, the Sixers, we had nine turnovers while they had 21, and we won the game in Philly in spite of Vic and Bogey shooting a combined 5-of-33 from the field. The turnover differential decided the whole game.

The more disciplined team, not the more experienced team, will win a would-be series between the two teams. That was my whole initial argument to begin with.

and my point from the beginning is that it does not matter who wins this series, if it happens. Philly's future is brighter than Indy's. That is plain as day for anyone being objective to see.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Pacers are the better team why do the 76ers have the better record?