• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sixers finally hire a GM

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure all indicators were they went big game hunting and missed on all their shots, then settled for whoever was in their building.

I don't understand that.

Who wouldn't want to be GM of the 76ers right now? You would be stepping into a team that is 1 or 2 moves away from establishing an annual contender and possible future dynasty.

If the "big game" passed, my bet is that they will regret that decision in a couple years.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,293.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this move makes me feel really old. not sure why but I guess when you remember guys when they got drafted and now there gm's it makes you feel old

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this move makes me feel really old. not sure why but I guess when you remember guys when they got drafted and now there gm's it makes you feel old
This doesn't do that for me. When I see their kids playing/getting drafted, that's another story.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure all indicators were they went big game hunting and missed on all their shots, then settled for whoever was in their building.

The went after Daryl Morey but it's unclear to me how serious they were in doing so and I don't think there was much chance of Morey leaving Houston.

After that, they gave a few interviews to some up and coming guys like Rosas but it seems to me that it was purely for show. From what I've read they never made much of a push for Mike Zarren. They had given all the senior front office people promotions a few weeks ago.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I read about this the more I come to believe that Brett Brown is envisioning a Spurs like relationship between coach and GM. Can't argue against the results there.

I also think that Brand was hired specifically to be the face of the front office when it comes to dealing with players. He was always a very popular player among the other players and now they will have him wooing prospective free agents next year.

It's a somewhat risky approach but if Brand is up for the task, they would have a GM for the next 20 years.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the brain trust is still in place with Brett Brown, Cohen, and Eversley.

Elton Brand supports analytics, so his voice will be heard, but I believe it will be more of a group effort in making decisions, which means there should be harmony between EB and BB.

But, most importantly, as flyerhawk already mentioned, EB has earned quite a bit of praise and respect from players around the league. Going for an analytic brainiac might have helped, but I believe this was all about future recruitment and identifying with players. Players will find it easier to talk to EB than some suit behind a desk.

Bold move, Cotton. Let's see how it all plays out....

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol

I remember watching him play at Duke.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

They went after Morey I believe...

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put this in the NBA offseason thread about him...

Last year he was hired to be GM of their G league affiliate. They went from 26-24 the year before him, to 16-34 with him.

I guess if you can show instant success at tanking to a top lottery pick, the job is yours there? :noidea:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put this in the NBA offseason thread about him...

Last year he was hired to be GM of their G league affiliate. They went from 26-24 the year before him, to 16-34 with him.

I guess if you can show instant success at tanking to a top lottery pick, the job is yours there? :noidea:

LOL. Are you seriously measuring Brand's ability to be a GM based on the success of a G league team?

I can't believe that Brand didn't get some big name free agents to come play for the Delaware Blue Coats.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

They went after Morey I believe...

From everything I read, it sounds like they were willing to bring in Morey but other than him they had quite a few requirements for any new GM. The two biggest is that the GM would not necessarily have final say in all personnel changes although it is unclear what that means. Also the new GM would need to keep the existing front office. That likely was a deal breaker for any external options. Which basically mean it was going to be Cohen, Eversly or Brand.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From everything I read, it sounds like they were willing to bring in Morey but other than him they had quite a few requirements for any new GM. The two biggest is that the GM would not necessarily have final say in all personnel changes although it is unclear what that means. Also the new GM would need to keep the existing front office. That likely was a deal breaker for any external options. Which basically mean it was going to be Cohen, Eversly or Brand.
Wow...yeah, you are right.

Most established GM's would want to clean house and bring in their own people.

So, if that was the requirement, this was the route they had to take.

Not saying this is the case with Brand. But, nobody wants to be a puppet for a meddling owner, coach etc.

Sixers are on the cusp. So, I wish you the best and hope your team doesn't suffer because of differing opinions on who stays and who goes.

Sometimes it's not good to have a democracy.

Who has the final say?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand that.

Who wouldn't want to be GM of the 76ers right now? You would be stepping into a team that is 1 or 2 moves away from establishing an annual contender and possible future dynasty.

If the "big game" passed, my bet is that they will regret that decision in a couple years.

Based on @flyerhawk post, it looks like the Sixers had some conditions that would be dealbreakers for established GM's.

Plus, I'd imagine that, while being the Sixers GM would be a great job, most of the top GM's already have great jobs.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow...yeah, you are right.

Most established GM's would want to clean house and bring in their own people.

So, if that was the requirement, this was the route they had to take.

Not saying this is the case with Brand. But, nobody wants to be a puppet for a meddling owner, coach etc.

Sixers are on the cusp. So, I wish you the best and hope your team doesn't suffer because of differing opinions on who stays and who goes.

Sometimes it's not good to have a democracy.

Who has the final say?

They are announcing the org chart today. That should help make things clear.

Brett Brown is a Spurs man. So my guess is that he is looking for something similar to how Pop and Buford work together.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Are you seriously measuring Brand's ability to be a GM based on the success of a G league team?

I can't believe that Brand didn't get some big name free agents to come play for the Delaware Blue Coats.

Nope, just was a joke with their recent history of tanking. Hope that was able to be seen.

But goes to show how little he's done at any level at that job. His resume is basically " tanked a G league team."

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, just was a joke with their recent history of tanking. Hope that was able to be seen.

But goes to show how little he's done at any level at that job. His resume is basically " tanked a G league team."

No doubt his resume is thin. And who the heck knows whether he is up for the job.

But it's not like this is unheard of. Danny Ainge was hired to run the Celtics with zero front office experience and 3 years of coaching experience. He seems to have worked out ok.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt his resume is thin. And who the heck knows whether he is up for the job.

But it's not like this is unheard of. Danny Ainge was hired to run the Celtics with zero front office experience and 3 years of coaching experience. He seems to have worked out ok.

Danny is a great example. Neither Magic nor Pelinka had FO experience and so far, I don't know of any Lakers fans that have any complaints. So an inexperienced GM doesn't necessarily mean the guy can't do the job.

He'll probably make some "rookie mistakes". I seem to remember Ainge making a couple of head scratching moves and Magic managed to get the Lakers fined a couple of times. But overall, if Brand can recognize talent and how it fits together, work closely with his coach and "sell" a bit, he should be fine.

Brand is a smart dude. If nothing else, he got out of Duke without thinking the earth is flat. lol