• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Since no one else did a thread: Elly De La Cruz

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even the double was hit so hard... almost 117 mph
He’s making people forget about Oneil.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far the dude has been spectacular.
But let's wait to see if this kid isn't another flash in the pan.
He's been on a real nice tear since his call up no doubt...but as we all know baseball has an uncanny and cruel way of bringing "phenoms" back to earth rather abruptly, and been doing so through the decades.

Last edited:

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been on a real nice tear since his call up no doubt...but as we all know baseball has an uncanny and cruel way of bringing "phenoms" back to earth rather abruptly, and been doing so through the decades.

flash in the pan types are usually not the number one prospect in all of baseball. injuries aside i don't see any reason this dude won't continue.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The true test comes when the league adjusts.

Looks good now though!

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What an electric game. Sold out crowd, Reds were down 5-0, the cycle, and Votto even hit two homers.

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,293.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with u. Let’s see if he can keep it up but it’s a hell of a start

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't looked into him yet but I'll be honest, I kind of hate him already because of that stupid name. I mean, Maurice Jones-Drew is fine but if your name is already Encarnacion you shouldn't get to add more to it. Just pick a name. In the time it takes to say that Elly Dela Cruz could circle the bases twice.
I saw Encarnacion-Strand play in high A and he is a good hitter. Good strike-zone judgement. Good bat to ball skills. He really doesn't have a defensive position, though. He plays 3B and 1B, but neither particularly well. He might end up in the outfield.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw Encarnacion-Strand play in high A and he is a good hitter. Good strike-zone judgement. Good bat to ball skills. He really doesn't have a defensive position, though. He plays 3B and 1B, but neither particularly well. He might end up in the outfield.
With the young guys coming up the Reds seem to be making a quick turnaround from last season's 100 loss team

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was this kid just not ready to start the year, or did the Reds actively decide that they would rather not have a free #31 pick in next year's draft?

EDIT: Not to mention, punting a few games (probably) before they brought him up when they are a contender (guessing they figured on tanking another year?)

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was this kid just not ready to start the year, or did the Reds actively decide that they would rather not have a free #31 pick in next year's draft?

EDIT: Not to mention, punting a few games (probably) before they brought him up when they are a contender (guessing they figured on tanking another year?)

I think the Reds were right to start him in AAA. He did destroy AA, but he did have some strikeout issues (struck out 30.9% in AA) and he's still striking out quite a bit (26.9% in AAA, 28.9% in majors). Not too worried about the K's, it's not like he has a sky high whiff rate (12.0%). That .440 BABIP is gonna come down though. I do think he has the speed and power to post high BABIPs, he's done it throughout his professional career... but .440 is just unsustainable for anyone. Regardless, he is a lot of fun to watch and he is probably going to be fun to watch for a long time.

They could still use some rotation help especially with Greene out. Abbott became a pretty intriguing prospect this year and he's looked great so far, though he needs to cut down on his flyball rate

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s making people forget about Oneil.

honestly - the body types are so similar but Elly seems to have more bat to ball skills.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Reds were right to start him in AAA. He did destroy AA, but he did have some strikeout issues (struck out 30.9% in AA) and he's still striking out quite a bit (26.9% in AAA, 28.9% in majors). Not too worried about the K's, it's not like he has a sky high whiff rate (12.0%). That .440 BABIP is gonna come down though. I do think he has the speed and power to post high BABIPs, he's done it throughout his professional career... but .440 is just unsustainable for anyone. Regardless, he is a lot of fun to watch and he is probably going to be fun to watch for a long time.

They could still use some rotation help especially with Greene out. Abbott became a pretty intriguing prospect this year and he's looked great so far, though he needs to cut down on his flyball rate
plus when they brought him up it was past the super 2 date- which I am sure was a conisderation.

he def. can post some high babip numbers but .440 is pretty ridiculous.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
plus when they brought him up it was past the super 2 date- which I am sure was a conisderation.

he def. can post some high babip numbers but .440 is pretty ridiculous.
I'm sure that was, but that was part of the point of the change to give out pretty valuable draft picks for having a RoY be on your opening day roster... and young players like Elly never go through all of their arbitration years before they negotiate a long-term contract anymore, so that shouldn't really be a consideration for teams any longer.... IMO, at least.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No one including the Reds thought they'd go from last place to where they are now so quickly

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the young guys coming up the Reds seem to be making a quick turnaround from last season's 100 loss team
its a shame Lodolo and Greene are hurt--- but even if healthy they still need some SP. They have enough minor league talent to go get one though.

Not sure I would trust Giolito and give up anything substantial for him.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its a shame Lodolo and Greene are hurt--- but even if healthy they still need some SP. They have enough minor league talent to go get one though.

Not sure I would trust Giolito and give up anything substantial for him.

I don't think Giolito is a good fit for GABP just because of his flyball tendencies. Not that the Cell suppresses home runs by any means, but GABP is the most home run friendly ballpark in MLB.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Giolito is a good fit for GABP just because of his flyball tendencies. Not that the Cell suppresses home runs by any means, but GABP is the most home run friendly ballpark in MLB.

Giants need him and their park isn't a problem that way