• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Signals + Billows Grill Temp Controller Review

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
temp control.JPG

The Thermoworks latest multi-probe thermometer...geared towards the avid low and slow back yard cooker and competition cooker alike.

Overall…4.3 of 5

• Functionality…5, it simply works as advertised, probes are accurate via the boiling water test…212.7 the pit probe read and food probe read 213.1
  • Connectivity…4, with any wifi device, it’s at the mercy of your home’s wifi, but for me it was great out of the box. I could go up to 70’ away and it stayed connected…one feature that I like that I didn’t have to use was Bluetooth. It automatically tries to connect via BT if your wifi signal drops. When I did go out of wifi range, as soon as I came back in range, it re-connected.
  • Ease Of Use…5, not much of a learning curve at all. Out of the box, downloaded the app for my Iphone and it was working within 10 mins.
  • Durability…4, tough plastic housing, it can handle being dropped, spills wipe off with a damp cloth.
  • Price…4, I wanted to give it a 5, but I saw it go on sale 2 weeks I after I paid full price. ($285, Signals+billows+billows adapter) Just my luck I guess.
  • Value…5, many of the competitors include 2 probes, this one has three pro grade food probes and 1 high heat pit probe…the 46 CFM fan is one of the most powerful I found.

Summary

There are several smoker/grill temperature control systems on the market. The speed and accuracy of the Thermapen MK4 instant food thermometer was the big reason I chose the Signals unit. When they came out with the Billows fan module that made the circle complete. I’ve had 5 low and slow cooks with Signals and 2 with the Signals+Billows and I can say, Signals is very good on it’s own, but coupled with Billows, it’s a game changer for low and slow cooking. I just completed an 11 hr brisket cook. Once I got the fire started, I connected the Billows, closed the top vent to about ¼ inch or slightly less and within about 15-20 minutes my Primo XL was at 225 degrees. I let it stabilize for another 20 minutes, and put the brisket on. It held that temp within 3 degrees all night, I was catnapping, bracing for a high temp alarm that never happened. I should've taken a screen shot of the graph on my phone. These are fairly expensive gadgets, but if you're into low and slow cooking on a fairly regular basis, you know how much time goes into it...why chance the results? I highly recommend the Signals + Billows combination.

signals in action.JPG

This pic was taken after I had already wrapped the brisket in foil and ramped up the temp to 250 and it was coming down the homestretch at this point.

brisket.JPG
This pic was the 1st peek, 5 hours in...nice bark on it already.

For my 1st brisket, I must say this made the work fairly easy for such a long cook...I'm being asked to do another one so I guess it turned out okay.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
never have bought anything other than fuel, smoker and grill…use my finger to gauge doneness.

let me know how your new tools work out for you…keep posting pics and thoughts.

thanks for the read.

Wunder.Noid

All your trophies are belong to Bama
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 215534

The Thermoworks latest multi-probe thermometer...geared towards the avid low and slow back yard cooker and competition cooker alike.

Overall…4.3 of 5

• Functionality…5, it simply works as advertised, probes are accurate via the boiling water test…212.7 the pit probe read and food probe read 213.1
  • Connectivity…4, with any wifi device, it’s at the mercy of your home’s wifi, but for me it was great out of the box. I could go up to 70’ away and it stayed connected…one feature that I like that I didn’t have to use was Bluetooth. It automatically tries to connect via BT if your wifi signal drops. When I did go out of wifi range, as soon as I came back in range, it re-connected.
  • Ease Of Use…5, not much of a learning curve at all. Out of the box, downloaded the app for my Iphone and it was working within 10 mins.
  • Durability…4, tough plastic housing, it can handle being dropped, spills wipe off with a damp cloth.
  • Price…4, I wanted to give it a 5, but I saw it go on sale 2 weeks I after I paid full price. ($285, Signals+billows+billows adapter) Just my luck I guess.
  • Value…5, many of the competitors include 2 probes, this one has three pro grade food probes and 1 high heat pit probe…the 46 CFM fan is one of the most powerful I found.

Summary

There are several smoker/grill temperature control systems on the market. The speed and accuracy of the Thermapen MK4 instant food thermometer was the big reason I chose the Signals unit. When they came out with the Billows fan module that made the circle complete. I’ve had 5 low and slow cooks with Signals and 2 with the Signals+Billows and I can say, Signals is very good on it’s own, but coupled with Billows, it’s a game changer for low and slow cooking. I just completed an 11 hr brisket cook. Once I got the fire started, I connected the Billows, closed the top vent to about ¼ inch or slightly less and within about 15-20 minutes my Primo XL was at 225 degrees. I let it stabilize for another 20 minutes, and put the brisket on. It held that temp within 3 degrees all night, I was catnapping, bracing for a high temp alarm that never happened. I should've taken a screen shot of the graph on my phone. These are fairly expensive gadgets, but if you're into low and slow cooking on a fairly regular basis, you know how much time goes into it...why chance the results? I highly recommend the Signals + Billows combination.

View attachment 215535

This pic was taken after I had already wrapped the brisket in foil and ramped up the temp to 250 and it was coming down the homestretch at this point.

View attachment 215536

For my 1st brisket, I must say this made the work fairly easy for such a long cook...I'm being asked to do another one so I guess it turned out okay.
I almost bought this a week or so back when it was on sale. I may go ahead and pull the trigger next time. Thanks for the review op. :suds:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
never have bought anything other than fuel, smoker and grill…use my finger to gauge doneness.

let me know how your new tools work out for you…keep posting pics and thoughts.

thanks for the read.

Old school has worked for a lot longer.

That was me not too long ago actually, but admittedly I’m somewhat of a newbie at low and slow cooking....I’ve been a high heat griller mostly for 35+ yrs.

Cooking meats is all about internal food temps and these little gadgets take the guess work out.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost bought this a week or so back when it was on sale. I may go ahead and pull the trigger next time. Thanks for the review op. :suds:

Just based on my email experience...Thermoworks uses sale promotions fairly regularly...so there will be another one soon and I knew this, but when I committed to doing the brisket Labor Day weekend, I didn't want to chance getting it a few days before the cook and not have used it yet. In hindsight, it was so easy to use that I could've literally gotten it the day of the cook and would've been fine.

FWIW, no personal experience with either, but I've heard good things about the CyberQ and Pitmaster IQ...my butcher has a big offset smoker and a Kamado Big Joe and he dabbles in competition cooks and he's the one that steered me to the Thermapen mk4, so it was a natural progression for me to the Signals/billows.

Wunder.Noid

All your trophies are belong to Bama
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just based on my email experience...Thermoworks uses sale promotions fairly regularly...so there will be another one soon and I knew this, but when I committed to doing the brisket Labor Day weekend, I didn't want to chance getting it a few days before the cook and not have used it yet. In hindsight, it was so easy to use that I could've literally gotten it the day of the cook and would've been fine.

FWIW, no personal experience with either, but I've heard good things about the CyberQ and Pitmaster IQ...my butcher has a big offset smoker and a Kamado Big Joe and he dabbles in competition cooks and he's the one that steered me to the Thermapen mk4, so it was a natural progression for me to the Signals/billows.

My ultimate plan is to roll my own one of these days using an Arduino (or something similar). I could turn my WSM into a Traeger-like-auto-magic-machine. >insert evil laugh<

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 215534

Overall…4.3 of 5

Summary

View attachment 215535

View attachment 215536

That looks good.