• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sidney Rice is Retiring

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oft injured in Seattle, there was talk yesterday that he was on the bubble, given their other receivers and the fact that he wasn't a special teams contributor. I still think that he was a true wideout, as opposed to their other slot receivers and this is a loss for them.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good riddance.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I just realized something...

Of all the injury problems he's had, he cited concussions. Guess who's the next guy to sue the NFL?

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like an NFL retirement party will from now on be followed by a law suit. Speaking of which, Anthony Adams' retirement party was hilarious:

Last edited by a moderator:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a big loss for them. Tate is gone and Harvin can't seem to play a full season and now Rice retires. I think this leaves Seattle with a big ? over their receiver group for this season. They are now all in on Harvin contributing and younger guys stepping up. It's a fairly similar situation for them with DB's, but they still have Thomas and Sherman there. Though Sherman is on the cover Madden so he's screwed this year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL should make these players sign a waiver. They know injuries are part of the game.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think it's a big loss for them. Tate is gone and Harvin can't seem to play a full season and now Rice retires. I think this leaves Seattle with a big ? over their receiver group for this season. They are now all in on Harvin contributing and younger guys stepping up. It's a fairly similar situation for them with DB's, but they still have Thomas and Sherman there. Though Sherman is on the cover Madden so he's screwed this year.

It raises a few additional questions about the WR corps, but how much was Rice expected to contribute anyway? They have a solid first three with Harvin, Baldwin, and Kearse, provided Harvin stays healthy-ish. Richardson basically profiles in that deep threat role that a young Rice filled. He may not be ready yet, but obviously they were going to give him the opportunity. They've got five virtual locks at WR between those four and Norwood. In some ways I would have preferred to see them keep Rice as a sixth WR at the expense of another position and/or good STs player.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This article kills me:

Retiring is the right move for Seattle Seahawks WR Sidney Rice - ESPN

A few gems to begin and end the article:

No one wants to walk away from the game at 27, but Sidney Rice is doing the right thing. It was time to move on for the popular Seattle Seahawks receiver.

Popular with whom? Certainly not Hawks fans. Guy was one of the worse contracts that team has signed of late. $18.5 million guaranteed for a guy who didn't put up 1,450 yards and 12 TDs in three years.

It’s a shame more players don’t end their career this way rather than continuing and playing at a greatly reduced performance level. Rice had no intention of just trying to hold on.

Isn't this basically what Rice has been doing for the past three years? His decline just occurred much earlier than most.