• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should we pick up Longoria's option?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds stupid at first but this article makes a very good case

For nonsubscribers, basically it will only be one year at $8 mil (because the buyout is $5 mil and the contract is $13 mil, so you only spend $8 mil more), he is actually hitting at his career averages from Tampa this year, we have no one in the minors to play 3rd (Vosler and Villar ain't it), there aren't many good 3B free agents, etc.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For nonsubscribers, basically it will only be one year at $8 mil (because the buyout is $5 mil and the contract is $13 mil, so you only spend $8 mil more), he is actually hitting at his career averages from Tampa this year, we have no one in the minors to play 3rd (Vosler and Villar ain't it), there aren't many good 3B free agents, etc.
Schmidt might be ready sometime next year, and Villar/Vosler COULD hold it down until he is ready. Also, if Luciano is healthy, he COULD make the jump, though I think that is less likely.

I have been saying much if the year that picking up the option is at least something to seriously consider. If it isn’t picked up, I think it will primarily be because Longo wants to retire. But the Giants might play some chicken with him and pick up the option, hoping he retires anyway so they don’t have to pay the buyout. But I doubt they go the dick move here.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why the hate on Vosler?

I agree that Longoria's numbers this year warrant serious consideration of picking up his option. However, his age and injury history concern me. If he's picked up and spends most of the year on the IL, that's not a big deal to me. My concern is, in light to how old Crawford and Belt suddenly got from 2020 to 2021, and they were younger than Longoria is this year, what happens when he suddenly stops hitting?

I'd rather give Villar a longer look at the big league level and Vosler's hitting with SF this year certainly has earned him a chance to be on the roster. I'm not entirely opposed to Longoria coming back for another year but I hope his leash is somewhat short if he does age considerably at the plate and wouldn't be bothered if he is bought out.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the hate on Vosler?

I agree that Longoria's numbers this year warrant serious consideration of picking up his option. However, his age and injury history concern me. If he's picked up and spends most of the year on the IL, that's not a big deal to me. My concern is, in light to how old Crawford and Belt suddenly got from 2020 to 2021, and they were younger than Longoria is this year, what happens when he suddenly stops hitting?

I'd rather give Villar a longer look at the big league level and Vosler's hitting with SF this year certainly has earned him a chance to be on the roster. I'm not entirely opposed to Longoria coming back for another year but I hope his leash is somewhat short if he does age considerably at the plate and wouldn't be bothered if he is bought out.

I could go either way, I suppose. Longo is supposed to be a solid clubhouse presence, and if he plays 60% of the time (50% 3B, 10% DH), it might be worth it.

And isn't JD Davis a 3B? Let JD and Villar man the hot corner the other 50% of the time and see who does better. Villar has nothing left to learn at AAA. Davis has hit well since coming to the Giants.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could go either way, I suppose. Longo is supposed to be a solid clubhouse presence, and if he plays 60% of the time (50% 3B, 10% DH), it might be worth it.

And isn't JD Davis a 3B? Let JD and Villar man the hot corner the other 50% of the time and see who does better. Villar has nothing left to learn at AAA. Davis has hit well since coming to the Giants.
I forgot about Davis. I am willing to hand him 1B or 3B next year on a provisional basis. But ultimately, I want to see Harrison, Schmidt, Brown, Ramos and maybe Luciano all graduate next year. Sprinkle some vets in there to help them out, and compete hard core in ‘24. If we CAN compete next year, all the better, but that is a secondary goal in my eyes.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the hate on Vosler?

If he gets hurt so what then we have these other options like Davis and Vosler. It's low risk low $ and 1 year. Yeah he might be like Belt and Crawford this year, it's a cheap gamble on a guy with a track record.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda agree with @LHG

When Longo isn't hut he is usually pretty good to have around but he does seem to made of glass, like many others on this team.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the hate on Vosler?

I think they can, and will, do both. They'll pick up Longo's option and start him at 3b. When he inevitably goes on the IL, they'll give Villar/Vosler their shots. Hopefully, Schmit will be ready by the second half.