• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should we just cut the CFB season to 2 weeks?

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Iowa in 2009, you are right and to me all it proves is the top to bottom lack of strength of the b1g.

Hawkeyes beat N. Iowa by 1 point in week one and Arky State by 3 in week 5....

Yet win 6 b1g games?

If the argument is the b1g as a conference still should be considered a top tier conference I am not ready to buy that. Based solely on field results.

If you are arguing for Iowa's remaining chances, well they are still unbeaten. If they were to run the table that further proves to me the b1g's ineptness this season.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop grouping the PAC with the SEC... Miles apart... Both in on the field results and recent history...

Ok then. Fair enough. I know SEC is on top now,

But... Shall we look at b1g vs PAC

And then SEC vs b1g?

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"It doesnt matter who wins ooc games. No bearing on conference strength"

~team b1g

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We did ok against the PAC champion last time we met up...

We? Nutswing much? You mean MSU?

Oregon also did good against your reigning conference champ .

VT did well against the b1g runner up.

LSU did good against the b1g champ in 3 of last 4 years.

McNeese and N Iowa did good against the next group.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. But I think he is pushing Iowa. Not the b1g teams that lost.

True, but my point was they didn't need help from anyone at that point. Undefeated SEC team? They are in no matter what. As the season progressed they needed some help, but not after week 2.

An undefeated B1G team is still going to need help, like at least 1 loss by the other P5 conference champs and because of their crappy SOS, and losing all of their big OOC games, notre dame will need a loss as well.

Like you illustrated earlier, all things being equal the B1G is on the outside looking in.

Lets face facts, no matter what at least one P5 champ is getting left out, every year. B1G just happens to be at the plate this first go around.

The B1Gs in a big hole. They need help no matter the outcome of any one team in the conference. I don't think they get it this year.
noidea.gif

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is common knowledge in college football that you can't win the national championship in the first few weeks, but you can damn sure lose it.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm shocked that 5 pages in, hawkeye is still debating the B1G is still in the picture.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is common knowledge in college football that you can't win the national championship in the first few weeks, but you can damn sure lose it.

lol. Why couldn't I have thought of that 1000 posts ago.

Here I am bumping my gums and you summed it up in a sentence.

:clap:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it. The B1G sucks. Carry on.

As a whole yes. It isn't debatable.

They still have some power up top. But when a that top end power gets beat 2 weeks in, it makes any b1g argument futile.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just confused as to how the B1G "needs help" to get into the playoff. There are still undefeated teams in the Big Ten that, if they run the table, will be in. When in modern CFB have there been 4 undefeated teams? Never. Sure, some of the teams have struggled with teams they probably shouldn't have, but the record books are littered with national championship teams that eked out wins. Most recently, Alabama beat unranked, 7-6 Tennessee 12-10 in 2009 and Auburn beat unranked, 6-7 Kentucky 37-34 in 2010. Who remembers those games now? My point is something we've seen again and again over the years of college football: Just win.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who in the b1g has a chance to run the table from what you have seen though oak?

Bama struggling with a rival and fbs school and likewise with Auby.

Is much different than struggling with fcs schools.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who in the b1g has a chance to run the table from what you have seen though oak?

Bama struggling with a rival and fbs school and likewise with Auby.

Is much different than struggling with fcs schools.

Is it really though? FCS teams have proven over the last few years that the bottom teams in Power 5 conferences can and do get beaten by the top teams in FCS. The Tennessee-Bama rivalry I can see why that game would be close because of the rivalry, but I didn't realize Kentucky and Auburn were rivals. I didn't get to watch a lot of the other teams in the conference, but watching the Nebraska game, Sams from McNeese State (K-State transfer) is going to end up being the most athletic quarterback we face all year. I'm not saying we shouldn't have still blown them out, but it's easy to see how a team can come into a game after a week of reading press clippings from the record-setting performance the week before and think they can just show up and win. And they did win. It wasn't pretty, but the loss column still has a zero in it.

As far as teams that could still run the table, Nebraska and Iowa come to mind. Iowa misses the top teams from the other division, and their next game that they play that IMO they won't be favored in is Wisconsin in November. A lot can happen between now and then. Nebraska has MSU which will be a difficult game, but really, Nebraska hasn't had a whole lot of trouble with them in the past few years for whatever reason. It took something like 5 turnovers by NU for MSU to beat us last year, and it was close until the last one. Now I'm not saying that either of those are going to happen, or even very likely, but it is far from impossible.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also tf12 is right about medias roll in the panic button approach.

But thinking long term viability is more my angle.

It is what is, and has been trending that way for years.

ND, Michigan, Ohio.

Just look at the results totals when they play out west or south teams.

Ya, they get a a W once in a while, but often get their doors blown off.

I agree that cfb has been trending towards the better teams being located in the west and south. People have been migrating to the West and to the South for quite some time. It's been said that the Rose Bowl is one of the biggest reasons for the migration West. When you're snowed in in the Midwest and you're watching a parade and football game with clear skies and temps in the mid-70's, it makes for a pretty strong desire to re-locate.

I also think, though, that style of football has a lot to do with it. Many of the Midwestern teams seem to be clinging to the old "Woody Hayes/Bo Schembechler 3 yards and a cloud of dust" football moreso than teams in the West and South. After all, if you're a young, talented player with speed to burn, which style is going to be more attractive? Oregon's or tOSU's?