• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should The Houston Astros' Punishment Be More Harsh?

TheWordIsOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The MLB Sign-Stealing Scandal keeps going on. The Astros have finally gotten a punishment for cheating by sign-stealing. They were fined $5 million and General Manager Jeff Luhnow was fired and that was basically it. It just doesn't seem to be enough to really punish the Astros. I feel like more people who were involved should be fired and the fines should be higher. To me and to a lot of other people, cheating is intolerable. At least I will tell you something true in this thread: cheating is never cool.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More picks and a significantly higher fine. 5 million is pocket change. It should be 50 million, 10 a year over 5 years.

The problem with punishing the players is that they all knew and they all participated either by doing it or not telling the other guys to knock it off. Plus, not all fines are created equal.

Fining Springer is different than fining Altuve, just because of what they make, even though it seems like Springer was one of the ring leaders.

You also can't suspend players right off the bat either, because while that might hurt the Astros, it greatly helps their opponents during those suspensions, whoever they may be. Creating a AAA roster that is playing MLB teams.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The MLB Sign-Stealing Scandal keeps going on. The Astros have finally gotten a punishment for cheating by sign-stealing. They were fined $5 million and General Manager Jeff Luhnow was fired and that was basically it. It just doesn't seem to be enough to really punish the Astros. I feel like more people who were involved should be fired and the fines should be higher. To me and to a lot of other people, cheating is intolerable. At least I will tell you something true in this thread: cheating is never cool.
Do you know where I can get some high quality cheap jerseys?

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More picks and a significantly higher fine. 5 million is pocket change. It should be 50 million, 10 a year over 5 years.

The problem with punishing the players is that they all knew and they all participated either by doing it or not telling the other guys to knock it off. Plus, not all fines are created equal.

Fining Springer is different than fining Altuve, just because of what they make, even though it seems like Springer was one of the ring leaders.

You also can't suspend players right off the bat either, because while that might hurt the Astros, it greatly helps their opponents during those suspensions, whoever they may be. Creating a AAA roster that is playing MLB teams.
Boo-hoo. Don’t cheat.

Cheaters never win. (Unless they’re the Astros.)

desert heat

prominent member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,531.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems if you cheat you should forfeit your wins, including world series wins.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boo-hoo. Don’t cheat.

Cheaters never win. (Unless they’re the Astros.)

Or the Patriots. But that's not the point.

You can't do anything aside from contracting the franchise and punishing the entire city of Houston, a city that doesn't need much punishing with the pretenders that they have as NFL and NBA teams. (Yes, I am aware of my own city failing in those areas.)

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or the Patriots. But that's not the point.

You can't do anything aside from contracting the franchise and punishing the entire city of Houston, a city that doesn't need much punishing with the pretenders that they have as NFL and NBA teams. (Yes, I am aware of my own city failing in those areas.)
The players deserve to be punished. Yes, it’s impossible to know who was in on it, or to what extent. Certainly a majority of the roster must have known, since they were the ones getting the signals as to which pitches were coming.

I’d say either take 1x25% of every player’s annual salary as a fine for that period of time. Or else the 2017 World Series title is vacated.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players deserve to be punished. Yes, it’s impossible to know who was in on it, or to what extent. Certainly a majority of the roster must have known, since they were the ones getting the signals as to which pitches were coming.

I’d say either take 1x25% of every player’s annual salary as a fine for that period of time. Or else the 2017 World Series title is vacated.

How about Verlander? He might or might not have known and you want to bag him 6 million bucks? Or is it just 2 million because he was only with the team for the last 2 months?

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Verlander? He might or might not have known and you want to bag him 6 million bucks? Or is it just 2 million because he was only with the team for the last 2 months?
$2 million sounds okay for him. Or he never won a World Series title. Either one's fair.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a complicated one the thing is the more they destroy the Astros the worse the league looks as a whole. I think forfeiting their 2020 draft picks along with an asterisk next to their championship. This will go down in history as the only championship won with a cheating asterisk next to it and it looks even worse when that's the franchises only championship. I don't think an astros fan can ever gloat about that win

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the $5m fine was the max that manfred was allowed to drop. I’m sure it would’ve been more if it wasn’t the max.

at least mlb isn’t protecting them like the nfl has consistently protected NE.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the $5m fine was the max that manfred was allowed to drop. I’m sure it would’ve been more if it wasn’t the max.

at least mlb isn’t protecting them like the nfl has consistently protected NE.

I'm aware that it was the max, but that needs to be reviewed during the next CBA. At least for extreme circumstances.

Greedell protects New England because he has no balls and doesn't want to take on a powerful owner and ultimately have the other ones lose confidence in him being their puppet and the fat paycheck that comes with it.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm aware that it was the max, but that needs to be reviewed during the next CBA. At least for extreme circumstances.

Greedell protects New England because he has no balls and doesn't want to take on a powerful owner and ultimately have the other ones lose confidence in him being their puppet and the fat paycheck that comes with it.

I believe that's the league constitution. Not the CBA.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that can't be changed?

It would be changed by the owners.

they'd be increasing the amount manfred can fine themselves....good luck with that one.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be changed by the owners.

they'd be increasing the amount manfred can fine themselves....good luck with that one.

Great. If this is the worst deterrent, 5 million bucks, then what's the incentive NOT to cheat?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Force the franchise to relocate to Portland. That is punishment enough for the franchise.