• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should student athletes be paid??

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tried to go back and find a similar thread and gave up. Was watching "Meet the Press" yesterday and the show addressed this issue and I remember a couple of interesting points that were made.

1) A student athletes health care coverage beyond 4 years of eligibility. Seems reasonable that this issue could remain on the board for discussion IF an injury resulted in long term bodily damage to an athlete past his college playing days.

2) Continued college scholarship IF a student athlete chose to continue his/her education past a typical 4 year eligibility scholarship. Seems reasonable to me that that would increase the likelihood of an athlete to stay in school and increase his post education opportunities if a pro career never materialized. I like this idea.

Discuss

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2) Continued college scholarship IF a student athlete chose to continue his/her education past a typical 4 year eligibility scholarship. Seems reasonable to me that that would increase the likelihood of an athlete to stay in school and increase his post education opportunities if a pro career never materialized. I like this idea.

I like the second point. The NCAA and schools should encourage students to max out their education as that is their "pay." Well, that and receiving training from some of the best coaches out there.

Golson paid around $8,000 for two months of training from a top QB coach when he was suspended by ND, so it shouldn't be taken for granted.
I asked Whitfield and Golson about the cost of the quarterbacks time in San Diego. Whitfield usually helps quarterbacks find accommodations. For lodging, it was around $60 a day for the two months. For Whitfield's training, it was about $500 a week. So combined that's between $7,500-$8,000.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...golson-time-at-qb-school-fresno-vs-niu-jameis

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, student athletes already have it easy enough with the multiple benefits they receive.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barrack+Obama+gif..+Barack+Obama+Did+Not+Read_d61f7e_3675033.gif

but to answer the thread title question...no.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, student athletes already have it easy enough with the multiple benefits they receive.

Also saw yesterday where teams/students in this March Madness tourney have to "pay for their own meals" during off days while waiting for their scheduled games to be played.

WTF?

You got to be kidding me. Greedy fucking Universities and NCAA (gross income of 900+ mil last year). They can't even feed these kids on the road while representing the schools?

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are many ways to compensate student athletes beyond putting cash in their pockets.

BTW..

As an "ex" student I find it hard to believe ANY building on a State run university's campus would be "off-limits" and only certain student/athletes would have access to them. Should be available and accessible at certain times to ALL who attend during their education.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tried to go back and find a similar thread and gave up. Was watching "Meet the Press" yesterday and the show addressed this issue and I remember a couple of interesting points that were made.

1) A student athletes health care coverage beyond 4 years of eligibility. Seems reasonable that this issue could remain on the board for discussion IF an injury resulted in long term bodily damage to an athlete past his college playing days.

Discuss

Both of these seem reasonable, fair and avoid just handing them checks. I really like the long term damage one. We are really just beginning to understand the potential long term health issues that can result from playing football. I see no reason why there couldn't be annual checkups for players to address potential problems. A lot of the long term effects can be treated if caught early.

I don't know if I agree with a 100% graduate school scholarship for everyone. Perhaps adjusted according to need. Then it could be 100% for some, 75% for others, 50%, etc.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Not unless they pay for their own tuition.

Pariah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One million dollars...cash.

Living the Dream

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They already get free tuition and meals. Can't the parents chip in the "spending money" since the school is footing the bill?

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, NOOOOO!!!! For fuck's sake, don't fall for the hype. These football and basketball players aren't hurting. They eat better than every single student on campus, when they travel, they stay in 4 diamond hotels and eat like kings on the road. Like a previous poster said, they are already getting paid with the "booster handshakes". They don't need to live off campus, they can live rent free in the athletic dorms (too fucking bad, life isn't fair). They already receive a stipend; if they blow that stipend on tattoos, too fucking bad. The average scholarship at big time schools like Texas, OU, Bama, etc is around $150K a year. I'll say it again, if they don't like it, don't sign the schollie and go straight to work out of high school.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The insurance one is one I have mentioned before and not doing so is insanely irresponsible. How you can make millions of dollars off of people beating up their bodies and not provide medical coverage for those injuries is well beyond me. Every single student athlete at every division 1 NCAA school should have all medical expenses incurred while participating in athletics entirely covered at zero expense to themselves.

Continuing education? It should at least be on the table. I don't think they should be forced to allow it (although it costs the school practically nothing), but they should absolutely be allowed to.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again, NOOOOO!!!! For fuck's sake, don't fall for the hype. These football and basketball players aren't hurting. They eat better than every single student on campus, when they travel, they stay in 4 diamond hotels and eat like kings on the road. Like a previous poster said, they are already getting paid with the "booster handshakes". They don't need to live off campus, they can live rent free in the athletic dorms (too fucking bad, life isn't fair). They already receive a stipend; if they blow that stipend on tattoos, too fucking bad. The average scholarship at big time schools like Texas, OU, Bama, etc is around $150K a year. I'll say it again, if they don't like it, don't sign the schollie and go straight to work out of high school.

Agree 100%. I came out of the Marines, went back to OU and worked to cover the portion of my costs that weren't paid by my scholarship. I still had to borrow some money to make it. I paid the money back over 10 years and every sacrifice I made to get my education was worth it. Finally ended up with a BA, MA and PhD (not all at OU). My friends who were playing football at OU loved it. Sure it was hard work but none of them would have given up the chance to play football because (1) they were good at it (2) it gave them a free ride and (3) the ancillary benefits were great. Some of them went pro; most didn't. But they ALL still have the satisfaction of saying "I played football at OU". Same goes for Texas, USC, Bama, etc., etc. It's simple: don't take the damn scholarship and be a grunt like the rest of us were if you think you're getting screwed being on an athletic scholarship. Bitching about being "used like a piece of meat" is about as smart as someone enrolling at MIT or Cal Tech and then complaining "it's not fair; it's too hard". Fuck these morons with their entitlement attitude.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Discuss

I think it should be obvious that if a kid gets hurt playing college sports then the college should pay for the treatment for that injury for as long as it takes. If the injury never heals properly and they have to continually seek treatment for it, then it should be paid for forever.

If a kid completes his/her years of eligability then any other schooling that the adult (by this time they surely are adults) wants to pursue should be on his/her own dime.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it should be obvious that if a kid gets hurt playing college sports then the college should pay for the treatment for that injury for as long as it takes. If the injury never heals properly and they have to continually seek treatment for it, then it should be paid for forever.

If a kid completes his/her years of eligability then any other schooling that the adult (by this time they surely are adults) wants to pursue should be on his/her own dime.

Why, though? The cost is near zero and there is all kinds of positive publicity and the ability to promote that they are as much about education as they claim to be out of this. There's no downside.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably be handled like most insurance disability claims these days, lump sum payout and done with.