• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should record be a factor in bowl invites?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion is that bowls should be a reward for an above decent to great year. Give us 20 bowls only and make the big ones count like they used to for something by having them all played on New Years day. If you didnt get a New Years day bowl back in the day, you had a down year(most programs felt this way anyway).

Give us 7-8 win teams as the cutoff for a bowl. this bullshit with 35 or more bowls and a team with a losing record is revolving into the "everyone gets a trophy" situation and frankly, it sickens me to see it. Make a bowl mean something again and fuck all this political correctness bullshit.
-
Or they could just kill the damn bowls already and get a larger playoff. Stop this nonsense.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Or they could just kill the damn bowls already and get a larger playoff. Stop this nonsense.

Good with that option too. Damn, broke the record we had going of never agreeing. Oh well, time to start a new one.:lol:

boxedlunch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been in favor of not counting FCS schools to be bowl eligible. That would take care of FCS games instantly.

But he is talking a bit beyond that as his reasoning.

SEC already implemented a rule about playing at least 1 BCS team a year.

What makes you think that? I know it's an extra win toward a bowl bid, but the money schools get from these games outweigh gain from going to a bowl, which the could easily do anyway.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes you think that? I know it's an extra win toward a bowl bid, but the money schools get from these games outweigh gain from going to a bowl, which the could easily do anyway.

It's an insurance game and it would no longer be that.

boxedlunch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an insurance game and it would no longer be that.

If teams used them as insurance, you might be right, but I don't see it like that. Team schedule FCS teams for an extra home game. Extra home games means lots of money. I'm not sure they would think that insurance is worth that much.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have an issue with requiring 6 wins or better to play in a bowl. The bowl game should be a reward for a successful season. 6 wins is barely a successful season.

My issue is with how some teams choose to try to get those 6 wins. If a team schedules a combination of 3-4 cupcakes/FCS schools to set themselves up to only need 2 or 3 conference wins to be bowl eligible, that is a problem, imo.

I'd rather see scheduling rules made that address that. Perhaps FCS schools not counting towards the bowl eligibility wins and having requiring at least 1 OOC game vs. a BCS school.

I agree with allowing all teams to have extra practices, not just bowl teams.

A 6 win season can be successful in relationship to a 2 win season the year before.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of a state's flagship university periodically scheduling the lesser in-state school teams to give their programs a paycheck and some exposure, and I do not believe doing this should reflect poorly upon the flagship school or lessen that chances for an invitation to a premier bowl. With 12-game regular seasons, that still leaves 11 games against other opponents from which to gauge the team's merits and relative rank among their peers. Eleven is plenty for that purpose.

Oregon doesnt do that periodically they pay the lesser in state school every year in the last game

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If teams used them as insurance, you might be right, but I don't see it like that. Team schedule FCS teams for an extra home game. Extra home games means lots of money. I'm not sure they would think that insurance is worth that much.

You can still get that with lower FBS teams.

It does mean a loss of money if they have to home and home, but since it's just the 1 game I bet they can find a replacement.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon doesnt do that periodically they pay the lesser in state school every year in the last game

And for those that don't get the reference that would be OSU

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,378.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes record should have something to do with it. if you had a good record but only loss a few games to good teams thats better then going undefeated against not good teams

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for shitz-n-giggles I looked to see which teams got into (2013) bowls with only 6 wins, what their conference record was, and who they played OOC to get that coveted 6th win.

Washington St - (4-4 in PAC), Beat (FCS) Southern Utah. They also beat Independent Idaho (1-11)
Oregon St - (4-4 in PAC), Lost to (FCS) Eastern Washington, Beat Hawaii (1-11)
Pittsburgh - (3-5 in ACC), Beat (Ind) Old Dominion,
Syracuse - (4-4 in ACC), Beat (FCS) Wagner
North Carolina - (4-4 ACC), Beat (Ind) Old Dominion
Georgia Tech - (5-3 ACC), Beat (FCS) Elon, Beat (FCS) Alabama A&M
Mississippi St - (3-5 SEC), Beat (FCS) Alcorn St,
Rutgers - (3-5 AAC), Beat (FCS) Norfolk St

NOTE: Georgia Tech actually had 7 overall regular season wins. However, only one non-FBS win can be used for bowl eligibility.

boxedlunch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can still get that with lower FBS teams.

It does mean a loss of money if they have to home and home, but since it's just the 1 game I bet they can find a replacement.

The problem with that, and the reason these games exploded, was that too many teams are not maximizing home games. Home games not only mean gate receipts, but television revenue. Extra home games go a long way to making a schools athletic budget. A lower bowl means a few hundred thousand, which the school might low in having to buy their allotment. The lower FBS teams might be FBS, but because they are they command a higher payout to bring in for a one and done, and the fewer teams scheduling FCS, the higher the demand becomes.. If a school is faced with the choice of bring in an FCS opponent and MAYBE not making a bowl, or facing a shortfall in their athletic budget, which do you think they'll choose?

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is quite simple.

Expand the number of bowl games. We all love to have those 2-10 matchups and we all love to watch them. There is so much more meaning to a battle like that.

On that note,

Take the number of schools in FBS and divide by 2 = the Number of Bowl games.

for example, 128 teams in FBS = 64 bowl games. All on ESPN

All bowl games for the teams with losing records will be hosted at the school with the better of the losing records. This way, sometimes, the southern teams will have to play up north.

So, this would allow a Miami of Ohio to host Georgia State on the Miami of Ohio field.

Think of the fan support.

BTW, all of that was conpletely made up to show how the viewing population is not going to want to see a 2-10 Kentucky play a 2-10 Indiana in football.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so I guess Notre Dame and Texas should just play in the national championship every year, without the record the bowls would just be a popularity contest

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe we should have a toilet bowl though

that matches up the two worst teams in the nation, selected by the committee of course

have them play the Saturday after the national championship game

people will have gone 5 days and realize they're going to miss college football, so they'll watch it

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so I guess Notre Dame and Texas should just play in the national championship every year, without the record the bowls would just be a popularity contest

Records count, but SOS is factored in. Quite possible that a 5 win team with a difficult SOS is better than a 7-8 win team with a bad SOS.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for shitz-n-giggles I looked to see which teams got into (2013) bowls with only 6 wins, what their conference record was, and who they played OOC to get that coveted 6th win.

Washington St - (4-4 in PAC), Beat (FCS) Southern Utah. They also beat Independent Idaho (1-11)
Oregon St - (4-4 in PAC), Lost to (FCS) Eastern Washington, Beat Hawaii (1-11)
Pittsburgh - (3-5 in ACC), Beat (Ind) Old Dominion,
Syracuse - (4-4 in ACC), Beat (FCS) Wagner
North Carolina - (4-4 ACC), Beat (Ind) Old Dominion
Georgia Tech - (5-3 ACC), Beat (FCS) Elon, Beat (FCS) Alabama A&M
Mississippi St - (3-5 SEC), Beat (FCS) Alcorn St,
Rutgers - (3-5 AAC), Beat (FCS) Norfolk St

NOTE: Georgia Tech actually had 7 overall regular season wins. However, only one non-FBS win can be used for bowl eligibility.
Oregon State also beat 8-5 San Diego State
Pitt also beat 3-9 new Mexico and 9-4 Notre Dame
Syracuse also beat 7-6 Tulane
North Carolina also beat 8-5 Middle Tennessee
Miss St also beat 10-4 Bowling Green and 6-6 Troy
Rutgers didnt really beat anyone of value with 2-10 eastern michigan and 3-9 Arkansas but Ark is still SEC and thats a bit of something

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon State also beat 8-5 San Diego State
Pitt also beat 3-9 new Mexico and 9-4 Notre Dame
Syracuse also beat 7-6 Tulane
North Carolina also beat 8-5 Middle Tennessee
Miss St also beat 10-4 Bowling Green and 6-6 Troy
Rutgers didnt really beat anyone of value with 2-10 eastern michigan and 3-9 Arkansas but Ark is still SEC and thats a bit of something

Yeah. I can see that. The point is the FCS wins were just as necessary to get them bowl eligible.