• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should Chara be suspended?

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Borrowed from IPW on the other side....Good point.

There was a altercation/fight that broke out at the end of the Sabres vs Bruins game last night (clearly started by Chara) and if we all remember the NHL last year said they were going to make it clear that this "sending a message" or incidents like this will not be tolerated. The rule reads.......

47.22 Fines and Suspensions - Instigator in Final Five Minutes of Regulation Time (or Anytime in Overtime) - A player or goalkeeper who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five (5) minutes of regulation time or at anytime in overtime, shall automatically be suspended for one game. The Director of Hockey Operations will review every such incident and may rescind the suspension based on a number of criteria. The criteria for the review shall include, but not limited to, the score, previous incidents, etc. The length of suspension will double for each subsequent offense. This suspension shall be served in addition to any other automatic suspensions a player may incur for an accumulation of three or more instigator penalties.

Chara was given a instigator and fighting penalty at 19:59 of the third in a 4-1 game. This should be interesting.

Thoughts?

Larry N

Flyers fan for life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Based on the language cited, I think he should get a game. I saw a YouTube of the incident and it doesn't look like there are any mitigating circumstances like retaliating for a cheap shot, etc.

MM213

Медведей не кормить
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Based on the rules he definitely should be suspended.
Based on precedents he won't be.

Larry N

Flyers fan for life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Based on the rules he definitely should be suspended.
Based on precedents he won't be.

I'd second that if the NHL hadn't turned the disciplinary process in a game of 'Wheel of Fortune'. Nowadays, who knows what gets a suspension and what doesn't? I don't think precedents even matter anymore.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My .02

As much as I'd like to see that ugly pos get tossed for a few games, I don't think the National Hypocrisy League will do anything about it.

Now.....if it happened against Cindy or AO instead of Gaustad......????

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this suspension was waived several times last year, and not just against Malkin. A few scrubs had the suspension rescinded as well, Tim Gleason possibly?

I can see why Chara went after Gaustad, Goose did give him a nice hack at the end of the game. If it's me though, I toss both guys for a game and send a message. I doubt it'll happen though.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah dude!

edit: Didn't the blatant vulgarity give it away?

lol I had no idea bro. Last time we talked as Toxicone and Buck, you were fed up with the whole board shit and were trying to kick start another board or something.

Dash told me yesterday that you were Buck and I couldn't believe it. I mean, you used to be all nasty and insulting.......what happened to that guy??? :)

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, I even dug through an old yahoo e-mail account I have to find yours and other posters e-mails to lure you here. lol

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and, we got along back then....now you think I'm an asshole...what's up wit dat?!!

oldschoolhockeyfan

Lifetime of Hockey
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Borrowed from IPW on the other side....Good point.

There was a altercation/fight that broke out at the end of the Sabres vs Bruins game last night (clearly started by Chara) and if we all remember the NHL last year said they were going to make it clear that this "sending a message" or incidents like this will not be tolerated. The rule reads.......

47.22 Fines and Suspensions - Instigator in Final Five Minutes of Regulation Time (or Anytime in Overtime) - A player or goalkeeper who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five (5) minutes of regulation time or at anytime in overtime, shall automatically be suspended for one game. The Director of Hockey Operations will review every such incident and may rescind the suspension based on a number of criteria. The criteria for the review shall include, but not limited to, the score, previous incidents, etc. The length of suspension will double for each subsequent offense. This suspension shall be served in addition to any other automatic suspensions a player may incur for an accumulation of three or more instigator penalties.

Chara was given a instigator and fighting penalty at 19:59 of the third in a 4-1 game. This should be interesting.

Thoughts?

To look at this objectively you have to understand the intent of the rule. It is to curb a team from engaging in unprovoked fights late in a game for the sole purpose of "sending a message"to the other team.

Was this an unprovoked fight or was there another action that lead to the altercation? This is why the rule includes a review process and just doesn't rely on the on ice call.

Looking at the replay, the incident never happens if Gaustad doesn't take a two hander to the the back of Chara's legs, provoking him to relaliate.

Under the intent of the rule, no suspension.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To look at this objectively you have to understand the intent of the rule. It is to curb a team from engaging in unprovoked fights late in a game for the sole purpose of "sending a message"to the other team.

Was this an unprovoked fight or was there another action that lead to the altercation? This is why the rule includes a review process and just doesn't rely on the on ice call.

Looking at the replay, the incident never happens if Gaustad doesn't take a two hander to the the back of Chara's legs, provoking him to relaliate.

Under the intent of the rule, no suspension.

Am I a homer if I agree with this assumption? I here the suspension was revoked.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for all of the feed back guys. Man it's so cool to be able to actually discuss hockey without some flaming idiot chiming in with jack ass comments.

It's an iffy thing and I agree Gaustad didn't help matters but I doubt Chara does that with the game tied or with a one goal deficit.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I made it up to get a rise outta ya, but you left and I wore egg. :)

BTW - check your yahoo e-mail account, I left you a message. :)

LOL, I gotcha... well in that case, fuck ya, we don't get along!

Hey, I stopped logging in a long time ago, and lost that addy, let me see if I can find a way to get you my new address (which I also don't check and will probably lose)...

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for all of the feed back guys. Man it's so cool to be able to actually discuss hockey without some flaming idiot chiming in with jack ass comments.

It's an iffy thing and I agree Gaustad didn't help matters but I doubt Chara does that with the game tied or with a one goal deficit.

Hey Steve.....get a goddamn avatar already, will ya??!!! :D

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, I gotcha... well in that case, fuck ya, we don't get along!

Hey, I stopped logging in a long time ago, and lost that addy, let me see if I can find a way to get you my new address (which I also don't check and will probably lose)...

haha Nah...don't worry bout it. It was just an invitation to this place. :cool: