• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Shot Clock for pitchers

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or they should call it Pitch Clock... i cant stand watching baseball cuz the pitchers take so long to pitch the ball. they should have a shot/play clock like in basketball and football to speed up the game. if the pitchers pitch fast and there was constant action then maybe baseball wouldnt be so boring!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or they should call it Pitch Clock... i cant stand watching baseball cuz the pitchers take so long to pitch the ball. they should have a shot/play clock like in basketball and football to speed up the game. if the pitchers pitch fast and there was constant action then maybe baseball wouldnt be so boring!
Thats generally only a problem with Red Sox/Yankees games

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't need a shot clock, all they need to do is enforce an existing rule.

When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.” The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.
The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those who think baseball is boring don't truly understand the game.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do technically have a rule where if there is no one on base that the pitchers can only take a certain amount of time but really how are you going to enforce it and what punishment can be handed out.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also have nine seconds to get back into the batter's box as a hitter, so there's a timing rule on that, too.

Enforcing it would be a great idea.

With people on base, though, it wouldn't work. The hold play is important, and having a clock on the pitcher would make base stealing far too easy.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those who think baseball is boring don't truly understand the game.

Oh, we understand the game all right. I played it for ten years. It is boring to watch because pitchers take their time, batters take their time and the action is very slow.

I loved playing the game but hate it as a spectator.

I never knew about that 12 second rule. They either need to enforce it or take it off the books. It is silly to have a rule that nobody cares anything about.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do technically have a rule where if there is no one on base that the pitchers can only take a certain amount of time but really how are you going to enforce it and what punishment can be handed out.

Just put a stinking 12 second clock on the backstop and the 2d base ump can see it - just like they do in football. A 9 second clock on batters posted where the batters and ump can see it would be a wonderful thing, too.

And, for crying out loud, they need to have video review in baseball. Some of the out/safe calls are horrible. That stupid call against the Braves last year in that playoff game reeks of the need for video replay in playoff games at least.

moxie

Polite as fuck.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,538.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also have nine seconds to get back into the batter's box as a hitter, so there's a timing rule on that, too.

Enforcing it would be a great idea.

With people on base, though, it wouldn't work. The hold play is important, and having a clock on the pitcher would make base stealing far too easy.

It's addressed
When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 12 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call “Ball.” The 12-second timing starts when the pitcher is in possession of the ball and the batter is in the box, alert to the pitcher. The timing stops when the pitcher releases the ball.

And I would love to see it enforced! Along with the timer for the batters... continually stepping out to adjust their gloves 4 times in one at bat is ridiculous.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never noticed this "problem", guys have to get their timing down.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just put a stinking 12 second clock on the backstop and the 2d base ump can see it - just like they do in football. A 9 second clock on batters posted where the batters and ump can see it would be a wonderful thing, too.

And, for crying out loud, they need to have video review in baseball. Some of the out/safe calls are horrible. That stupid call against the Braves last year in that playoff game reeks of the need for video replay in playoff games at least.

again what would be the punishment. An automatic ball. No one is on base so they cant advance the runner. I guess too many and they can kick him out. But can you imagine the backlash that would occur with that.

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hardly watched any sox games all year and im finding it difficult to watch the playoffs. on a local boston sports radio show felger and mazz they said the sox tv ratings were down massively this year, not sure if the mentioned all of mlb baseball too. but they were like whats wrong with baseball? its too slow, too boring. one sox game this year against the yankees lasted over four hours. its just crazy. i think baseball could be very fun to watch if it was sped up, right now its unbearable for me anyways. lol i didnt know they had those rules in there. like geneh said they should put clocks up for everyone to see it wouldnt be that hard.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still more exciting than watching Free Throws and 1 on 1 isolations for the last 15 minutes of everygame like the NBA

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still more exciting than watching Free Throws and 1 on 1 isolations for the last 15 minutes of everygame like the NBA

Last five min of a basketball game is really tough to watch. It last almost as long as the rest of the game.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't need a shot clock, all they need to do is enforce an existing rule.

The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.
I wasn't aware of that rule. Thanks for the info!

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again what would be the punishment. An automatic ball. No one is on base so they cant advance the runner. I guess too many and they can kick him out. But can you imagine the backlash that would occur with that.

Well, like I said, they need to either enforce it or take it off the books. Since I don't watch baseball at all until the post season I really couldn't care less what they do, anyway. I can listen to or watch a game if I have absolutely nothing to do but that's about it. It's just too dog gone boring.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hardly watched any sox games all year and im finding it difficult to watch the playoffs. on a local boston sports radio show felger and mazz they said the sox tv ratings were down massively this year, not sure if the mentioned all of mlb baseball too. but they were like whats wrong with baseball? its too slow, too boring. one sox game this year against the yankees lasted over four hours. its just crazy. i think baseball could be very fun to watch if it was sped up, right now its unbearable for me anyways. lol i didnt know they had those rules in there. like geneh said they should put clocks up for everyone to see it wouldnt be that hard.

The only games that take forever are when the sox play the yankees. Other than that most games go by fairly quickly..

Just enforce what's out there and move on... that simple. But it will never happen, which is sad.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last five min of a basketball game is really tough to watch. It last almost as long as the rest of the game.

This is true. It takes a real BB fan to watch a game from start to finish. If I don't care about who is playing I don't watch BB. If I care about the game I will watch the last quarter or so.

Of course if UNC is playing I AM WATCHING! That goes without saying, of course.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nba sucks! unless you are actually there.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take watching baseball over watching golf any day.

Golf is NOT a spectator sport.