• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sherman on his NFCCG Rant

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sherman changes his tune about Crabtree rant | ProFootballTalk

Honestly wouldn't have posted this except for one thing that stood out:

“I don’t regret anything,” Sherman said during a panel discussion at Harvard Business School, via Ben Volin of the Boston Globe. “People said I had no class. What is class in sports? What exactly is it? Do I say great game and go cookie cutter? No. I don’t think he played a great game. . . . If it was Larry [Fitzgerald], and the same situation happened, I wouldn’t have said a thing. Because I respect Larry.”

After the rant, some folks in the media focused on what happened immediately after the play, when Sherman ran up to Crabtree, slapped him on the butt, and said good game. Crabtree shoved him. Some people - from what I recall, typically those that don't follow the NFL - were saying that it was that shove by Crabtree when Sherman was just telling him he had a great game that set Sherman off. Most of us didn't buy that at the time, clearly seeing Sherman's antics for what they were: rubbing in the loss. It would seem Sherman just confirmed that beyond any doubt.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, there was no doubt that Sherman was rubbing it in after a very intense game.

Sherman is a very interesting fellow. On one hand you have an egotystical douchebag and on the other hand- you have a thoughtful and intelligent person. I think karma will bite him in the butt at some point and he will be eating his venom-laced words. I just hope its sooner rather than later.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
To me, there was no doubt that Sherman was rubbing it in after a very intense game.

Sherman is a very interesting fellow. On one hand you have an egotystical douchebag and on the other hand- you have a thoughtful and intelligent person. I think karma will bite him in the butt at some point and he will be eating his venom-laced words. I just hope its sooner rather than later.

I think a lot of his shtick is an act, kind of like a WWE villain, that is deliberately calculated to get him in the media and draw attention to himself. If that is the case, it's frankly brilliant. But it's hard to believe his entire persona is calculated in this manner, to the point that what he did at the end of the game was a coldly rational decision to get himself in the public eye.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of his shtick is an act, kind of like a WWE villain, that is deliberately calculated to get him in the media and draw attention to himself. If that is the case, it's frankly brilliant. But it's hard to believe his entire persona is calculated in this manner, to the point that what he did at the end of the game was a coldly rational decision to get himself in the public eye.

Agree that it's calculated. I don't know that it's particularly brilliant, or at least not very original (see: TO)

I must say though that I'm sure if you dig under the surface you will almost certainly find that the dude is a selfish asshole. I know I'm supposed to think his actions and words are somehow justified cuz racism and poverty and he's smart and went to Stanford so yay American Dream and wow, overcoming adversity and let's start a dialogue but to all that I say, that's great and all but the dude still seems to be a piece of shit. He can start a dialogue without all the self-serving, money-grubbing, brand-building bullshit.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, just lol at being a rebel and trying to bring attention to some of the most basic problems afflicting our society when the motivation behind everything is to get mega-rich through the most quintessentially American pastime.

What a fucking phony asshole piece of human garbage.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agree that it's calculated. I don't know that it's particularly brilliant, or at least not very original (see: TO)

I must say though that I'm sure if you dig under the surface you will almost certainly find that the dude is a selfish asshole. I know I'm supposed to think his actions and words are somehow justified cuz racism and poverty and he's smart and went to Stanford so yay American Dream and wow, overcoming adversity and let's start a dialogue but to all that I say, that's great and all but the dude still seems to be a piece of shit. He can start a dialogue without all the self-serving, money-grubbing, brand-building bullshit.

I disagree on a couple grounds. First, I don't think what TO was doing was calculated. I think he's just an emotionally frail guy. And what he and Sherman do is very different. At least to date. TO disrupted his locker room. There's no evidence that Sherman does that. By all accounts, his teammates love him. It's everyone else who hates him. But that kind of fuels the Hawks' "us against the world" mentality.

As far as being brilliant, Sherman would be recognized as a very good player even if he was Mr. Polite. But there's no doubt that calling out guys like Revis in a very public way, and backing it up on the field, has drastically increased his visibility and his fame. I'm not sure we'd be discussing making him the highest paid corner in the league but for his persona.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman changes his tune about Crabtree rant | ProFootballTalk

Honestly wouldn't have posted this except for one thing that stood out:

“I don’t regret anything,” Sherman said during a panel discussion at Harvard Business School, via Ben Volin of the Boston Globe. “People said I had no class. What is class in sports? What exactly is it? Do I say great game and go cookie cutter? No. I don’t think he played a great game. . . . If it was Larry [Fitzgerald], and the same situation happened, I wouldn’t have said a thing. Because I respect Larry.”

After the rant, some folks in the media focused on what happened immediately after the play, when Sherman ran up to Crabtree, slapped him on the butt, and said good game. Crabtree shoved him. Some people - from what I recall, typically those that don't follow the NFL - were saying that it was that shove by Crabtree when Sherman was just telling him he had a great game that set Sherman off. Most of us didn't buy that at the time, clearly seeing Sherman's antics for what they were: rubbing in the loss. It would seem Sherman just confirmed that beyond any doubt.

He is just an ass. Hopefully what goes around comes around and karma gets him good this year. All this stuff about Sherman just telling him great game, that is BS. He was rubbing it in. It is no coincidence that Sherman has rubbed a few people the wrong way on the football field. Is it these players all being jerks or is it Sherman. We know the answer to that one,.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree on a couple grounds. First, I don't think what TO was doing was calculated. I think he's just an emotionally frail guy. And what he and Sherman do is very different. At least to date. TO disrupted his locker room. There's no evidence that Sherman does that. By all accounts, his teammates love him. It's everyone else who hates him. But that kind of fuels the Hawks' "us against the world" mentality.

As far as being brilliant, Sherman would be recognized as a very good player even if he was Mr. Polite. But there's no doubt that calling out guys like Revis in a very public way, and backing it up on the field, has drastically increased his visibility and his fame. I'm not sure we'd be discussing making him the highest paid corner in the league but for his persona.

Sherman might be more calculated than TO and not a locker room cancer but I don't think emotional strength is really his strong suit. My hatred of him aside, objectively speaking the dude is bitchmade and incapable of keeping his emotions in check.

I guess I see the showing up people and backing it up to be analagous to TO celebrating on the Dallas star at midfield. Both propelled them to what they are. If TO didn't do crap like that, he would have been a regular Andre Johnson. Very good player, but why talk about him cuz zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman might be more calculated than TO and not a locker room cancer but I don't think emotional strength is really his strong suit. My hatred of him aside, objectively speaking the dude is bitchmade and incapable of keeping his emotions in check.

I guess I see the showing up people and backing it up to be analagous to TO celebrating on the Dallas star at midfield. Both propelled them to what they are. If TO didn't do crap like that, he would have been a regular Andre Johnson. Very good player, but why talk about him cuz zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I never quite understood that defense. Well it is okay to be an ass if you can back it up. So as long as you play well you can be disrespectful and a poor sport and an ass.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Oh, I don't think Sherman is particularly emotionally strong, just not the basket case that TO was. The celebrating on the star is an apt comparison, though.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I really don't think so. And I think that conclusion is shortsighted. NFL careers are not long, and burning bridges by being a jerk in the league doesn't help matters if said player wants anything to do with football after his career is over. Most do.

Why is it difficult to believe that the guy is probably ultra competitive during game time when emotion and adrenaline run high during a physical sport? I don't buy in to the excessive bullshit ideals that fans want out of these players like something out of a caricature; ie, this altruistic knight saying the right shit, acting like a lame corporate automaton during interviews, all in the name that he should be happy just to be there like a duped up jolly good-boy only because he makes millions.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Richard Sherman makes Time's Top 100 list - ESPN

This is the shit I'm talking about. His actions are motivated by his own immaturity, fragile psyche, overly angry nature, and, most of all, his desire to build a brand for himself (read: make money). It's not about starting a dialogue about race.

He's the football equivalent of Kanye West. Both brilliant in their own way, but not for what people give them credit for. Also, both are terrible, terrible pieces of human garbage.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well he is right that Crabtree had a crappy game. That is an accurate statement if you snip that out of the quote.

I really really hope we do not break the bank for Crabtree.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I really don't think so. And I think that conclusion is shortsighted. NFL careers are not long, and burning bridges by being a jerk in the league doesn't help matters if said player wants anything to do with football after his career is over. Most do.

Why is it difficult to believe that the guy is probably ultra competitive during game time when emotion and adrenaline run high during a physical sport? I don't buy in to the excessive bullshit ideals that fans want out of these players like something out of a caricature; ie, this altruistic knight saying the right shit, acting like a lame corporate automaton during interviews, all in the name that he should be happy just to be there like a duped up jolly good-boy only because he makes millions.

Why wouldn't he have a relationship with the league after his career, or at least continue to capitalize on his career? Hell, the guy regularly writes guest columns for MMQB. It is very unlikely he would be doing that if his antics hadn't brought attention to him. Frankly, if he wants a career in broadcasting/media after his career, being an inflammatory personality is actually a pretty good way to go.

As for emotions running high during a game, that doesn't explain the way he acted when he went on First Take. Or, for that matter, his rant after the NFCCG, which came several minutes after his play had effectively clinched the win.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well he is right that Crabtree had a crappy game. That is an accurate statement if you snip that out of the quote.

I really really hope we do not break the bank for Crabtree.

Well he was coming back months early from a major injury.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a system CB. I think he benefits greatly from all the talent around him. He'd be average on many other teams in the league. I hope he gets a big contract somewhere else to expose him.

The more impressive part of the Crabtree play was the LB hustling over to make the pick. That ball simply drops to the ground without the LB hustling his tail off.

And Kaep made a bad throw on top of everything else.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why wouldn't he have a relationship with the league after his career, or at least continue to capitalize on his career? Hell, the guy regularly writes guest columns for MMQB. It is very unlikely he would be doing that if his antics hadn't brought attention to him. Frankly, if he wants a career in broadcasting/media after his career, being an inflammatory personality is actually a pretty good way to go.

As for emotions running high during a game, that doesn't explain the way he acted when he went on First Take. Or, for that matter, his rant after the NFCCG, which came several minutes after his play had effectively clinched the win.

So, you think it's all a circus act. Okay, fine let's go there. So, in order to get ahead and get a good gig post NFL, according to you, you have to be a circus act douchebag. Meanwhile, the target audience's expectations from said douchebag is to be this altruistic automaton saying the right things in the name of class. And you don't see anything wrong there in your assessment?

giphy.gif

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a system CB. I think he benefits greatly from all the talent around him. He'd be average on many other teams in the league. I hope he gets a big contract somewhere else to expose him.

The more impressive part of the Crabtree play was the LB hustling over to make the pick. That ball simply drops to the ground without the LB hustling his tail off.

And Kaep made a bad throw on top of everything else.

I think people misuse the term "system" when talking about corners because most corners benefit from being a part of a specific style of defense. Revis had a down year in 2013 because the TB coaches were a bunch of dolts and had him playing against his style, but that doesn't mean he's only a mid level CB. And of course Sherman benefits from having talent around him (specifically Earl Thomas), as that's like saying Gore benefits from having Iupati.