• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sherman got paid...

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dred, you are quite aware of our OL issues. Yet you look at it through a different light than I do.
Regarding the poor drafting of OL talent Seattle hit on Okung and Sweezy. Before you put down Sweezy, look up his stats as a run blocker. We run 1st so that trait is more important than pass pro.
We lost on Moffitt for sure and most likely Carp. So, they are about 50% on OL draftees.
McQ wasn't resigned and neither was Giac.
Last year we had a weak OL. Replacing Giac with either Bowie or a pick and Carp is playing for a contract so I don't see much dropoff based upon how ineffective our OL was last year.
I also would look to replace Okung-not this year, a great LT but his expense vs his health is a negative.
With RW being so mobile, a LT is not the necessity it is for a traditional pocket passer.

Ok, so the first bolded makes no sense to me unless your team plans on spending a major quantity of draft picks this year on OL. Based on what you said, it is automatically addition by subtraction by letting McQ and Glac walk because you assume that those players coming in are automatically better, which will have to be seen.

The second bolded makes it so that you are putting MORE pressure on Wilson to not only do his job, but severely compensate for another's lack of ability to do theirs. Based on this season and RW's stats in games against decent opponents without Okung, you cannot be serious. I get it, you view your team through the same rose colored glasses that we see our team with, but that is a farce to think that your team can function well without a solid LT and discount it by simply saying that you have RW. Remember the beating RW took towards the middle of this season and the fact that he had to more or less run for his life? Your statement sounds as if you are ok with that for a full 16-game schedule.

You may not need an All-Pro LT but you at least need a SOLID LT in order for your offense to function. A SOLID LT is both difficult to find and, if bought in FA, expensive.

Lastly, Unger and Okung are far and away the best OL you have. You know this better then I do. Sweezy is good in run blocking but IMO average at best in pass protection. That leaves two holes that you are looking to fill with Carp, who has been a bust up to this point, and Bowie, who showed some flashes but is consistently unimpressive. And that's BEFORE talking about Okung leaving. This will either pose a problem in making cap room to re-sign Okung or finding his replacement that isn't a severe downgrade from the production you got from Okung when he was healthy.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly CAN say that our front office thought this through.
Losing guys is obvious, when did I state that Sea FO doesn't know they will lose players?
Thanks for sharing your Lack of Knowledge about Kam already being extended.

Question is for you TGW, do you deny that Sea FO thought this through? I KNOW they did.
I also predict they will NOT extend Okung.

I never said that the front office didn't think it through. You responded to the last first comment like an asshole. I reiterated what was said before. Yes they have a plan, and a comment was made about how that is a lot of tied up money for a couple guys. Just because they thought it through doesn't mean it won't make things tough on them in the future.

And yes I forgot about the chancellor extension, less a lack of knowledge as it is a lack of caring.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep seeing fans of opposing fans saying similar words over and over. I suppose most of you think we don't get "it" and that we can sign whoever we want for as much as we want because we have the richest owner in the NFL.

Not sure what you meant here?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bow and Willis both average 10mill, but Bow I don't think begins to hit until 2015 and Willis had his contract front loaded so it saved a lot of money in current years. Davis and Gore are both up there as well, but Gore will be gone after this year.

What has seriously saved the team is extending guys before they became really good and could command big dollars. Guys like Staley and Boone and to lesser extents McDonald, Brooks, Davis, and Miller. They signed for solid deals, but they would have gotten more if they became free agents.

Seattle can afford to keep their guys, but they'll be bit players for free agency which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It just means they have to keep hitting on draft picks or they will get screwed.

Which is pretty much what we've been doing the past two years.

Hoping Tramaine Brock is the next guy on that list. The team basically did as much with Brown as well. Not expecting Brock to be elite, but if he can lock down one of the starting spots for the next few years it would be huge for us.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I certainly CAN say that our front office thought this through.
Losing guys is obvious, when did I state that Sea FO doesn't know they will lose players?
Thanks for sharing your Lack of Knowledge about Kam already being extended.

Question is for you TGW, do you deny that Sea FO thought this through? I KNOW they did.
I also predict they will NOT extend Okung.

Thinking it through doesn't mean it wasn't a mistake. Not saying it was, but that's a ton of money to lock up in one non-QB. Particularly given the guaranteed money.

And if I were Michael Bennett, I'd be PISSED at Sherman. Sherman asked bennett to take less money to stay with the team, then Sherman goes and milks the team for this kind of contract? That would bother me. Though it shouldn't surprise anyone coming from Sherman.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
dred, you are quite aware of our OL issues. Yet you look at it through a different light than I do.
Regarding the poor drafting of OL talent Seattle hit on Okung and Sweezy. Before you put down Sweezy, look up his stats as a run blocker. We run 1st so that trait is more important than pass pro.
We lost on Moffitt for sure and most likely Carp. So, they are about 50% on OL draftees.
McQ wasn't resigned and neither was Giac.
Last year we had a weak OL. Replacing Giac with either Bowie or a pick and Carp is playing for a contract so I don't see much dropoff based upon how ineffective our OL was last year.
I also would look to replace Okung-not this year, a great LT but his expense vs his health is a negative.
With RW being so mobile, a LT is not the necessity it is for a traditional pocket passer.

"Hit" on Okung is questionable. He was a very high draft pick, and hasn't been worth it IMO. He's good, even very good at times, but he's not great even when he's healthy, which hasn't been very often. As far as Sweezy, the team wasn't a force in the running game because of the blocking. It was a force because it takes three defenders to take down Marshawn Lynch.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed Crimson. Just because they thought it through doesn't make it smart or practical. They even stated they plan often having to cut veterans and draft to fill the roster but they wanted their "pillars".

The main difference is the 49er FO identified pillars earlier and created better contracts. Look at Staley, Willis, J Smith, he'll even Bowman and A Davis are cap friendly and better structured. Plus, we don't have a single player being paid over 10 mil a season. Gore is the highest at 6.45 right?

As stated, if RW gets 20/yr, you have over 50 mil dedicated to just RW, Sherman, Thomas, and Bennett. Add Harvin now it's 60 mil or roughly half the cap for 5 players. They will seriously have to draft well to keep up with the West.

Granted, we will be in a similar boat next year with all our quality FA's but I don't see us shelling out similar contracts. I think Seattle made a mistake in keeping both Thomas and Sherman because they're paying both top dollar I'm the entire league.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Tough to say it's a mistake to keep what are almost certainly their two most valuable pieces on an all-word defense, but this is a lot of money to cough up. And it raises questions about what happens when guys like Wagner and Irvin come up for new contracts in a couple years. After the team has paid out the nose for Thomas and Sherman, I can't see others taking less just to take less.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough to say it's a mistake to keep what are almost certainly their two most valuable pieces on an all-word defense, but this is a lot of money to cough up. And it raises questions about what happens when guys like Wagner and Irvin come up for new contracts in a couple years. After the team has paid out the nose for Thomas and Sherman, I can't see others taking less just to take less.

Like you said, it's tough to say that it is a mistake but it also didn't seem as if there was much negotiation to either contract. Both seem to be paid the best in their position by a WIDE margin, almost seemingly as if Sherm and Thomas walked in, stated what they wanted and JS and PC looked at each other and said, heh, sure, why the fuck not.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like you said, it's tough to say that it is a mistake but it also didn't seem as if there was much negotiation to either contract. Both seem to be paid the best in their position by a WIDE margin, almost seemingly as if Sherm and Thomas walked in, stated what they wanted and JS and PC looked at each other and said, heh, sure, why the fuck not.

I think signing Sherman to a big deal (let alone the biggest at his position) was a definite mistake. That secondary (or at least the CBs) has seemingly been plug and play the last few years. Sherman is good, but I think it's way more the scheme than the players. I do think that Thomas (and to a lesser extent Chancellor) are also what make that secondary click, much more so than Tricky Dick or any of the CBs.

Again, I think it's the equivalent to a bizzaro world where the early 2000s Broncos make Clinton Portis the highest paid RB. Good player sure, but why when next man up will provide you mostly the same production?

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Sherman's skill level starts to decline with his big pay day. He seems to thrive on proving himself to his doubters with that chip on his shoulder. Not much left for him to prove now with this deal.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guarnteed money is high,but he is kind of the seahawks mvp. They will have to give lots of guaranteed money to Wilson. These contracts will slowly weaken the team like it has all the teams before them. They still have great chance to repeat although we will see the salary cap start affecting their depth.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still have great chance to repeat although we will see the salary cap start affecting their depth.

You can't be a Superbowl contender forever. I'm just glad that we will be one for the next couple of years (fingers crossed). Oh, and we just won our first Superbowl. That will feel pretty fantastic even if we go 2-14 for the next 5 years. Now, if we have to wait another 15 years to get our 2nd championship....

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Semi-interesting take on how the Sherman contract affects Peterson:

Patrick Peterson in line to top Richard Sherman's deal - ESPN

This kind of struck me:

Ask any of the experts to rank the best corners in the NFL and depending on their personal preference for playing style, the top spot usually alternates between Peterson and Sherman.

I haven't heard many people mention Peterson as the top CB in the game. I would love to see him get more than Sherman, though. It would be awesome if, after all his talk, Sherman was only the highest paid corner in the game for like two weeks.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Semi-interesting take on how the Sherman contract affects Peterson:

Patrick Peterson in line to top Richard Sherman's deal - ESPN

This kind of struck me:

Ask any of the experts to rank the best corners in the NFL and depending on their personal preference for playing style, the top spot usually alternates between Peterson and Sherman.

I haven't heard many people mention Peterson as the top CB in the game. I would love to see him get more than Sherman, though. It would be awesome if, after all his talk, Sherman was only the highest paid corner in the game for like two weeks.

I would also like for a ton of money to be tied up to a couple guys on rival teams.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't be a Superbowl contender forever. I'm just glad that we will be one for the next couple of years (fingers crossed). Oh, and we just won our first Superbowl. That will feel pretty fantastic even if we go 2-14 for the next 5 years. Now, if we have to wait another 15 years to get our 2nd championship....

New England has been for quite a long time.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now he is at it again in Time magazine. He just cant shut up.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now he is at it again in Time magazine. He just cant shut up.

Yep....a guy who just signed for 40 million guaranteed is complaining that the NFL only cares about it's bottom line. If they are so racist Richard, refuse the money.

This is like Hollywood stars complaining about Exxon as they fly all over the place in their private jets.....

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep....a guy who just signed for 40 million guaranteed is complaining that the NFL only cares about it's bottom line. If they are so racist Richard, refuse the money.

This is like Hollywood stars complaining about Exxon as they fly all over the place in their private jets.....

Apparently, those who are critical of his post game NFL Championship antics are racially motivated too.