• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sherman got paid...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Man after they extend Russel Wilson they will have nearly a 1/3 of their salary tied into 3 players. This isn't the NBA where 2 or 3 star players can win you multiple titles while you pay the rest of the roster peanuts.

I'm curious if that isn't unique to just Seattle. Wonder what other teams have a ton of space devoted to a few players. The Niners will certainly have a ton devoted to Kap & Aldon. Who's the next highest-paid? Bowman? Willis?

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle is similar to the 49ers, the decisions get tougher and tougher on who to keep. then other players start to leave when they're eligible for free agency. that's exactly what the cap systems is supposed to do, nothing new.

the 49ers plan it out best they can, and Seattle does too.

Love it because it keeps the league so much more exciting and competitive.... It also makes the draft sooooo important... Otherwise the teams with the deepest pockets would always dominate...

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't just say, "The front office thought this through," so everything will be OK. Losing guys because of talent is part of the game. Trying to deny that is just dumb. You have a lot of money tied into 2 guys and soon it will be 3 and possibly 4 (Chancellor will want a big pay day) so guys are going to leave. It doesn't mean that the team won't be good. They might win the Superbowl 3 times in the next decade. Good players will leave because there isn't enough money to go around. The same will happen with every team in the NFL.

I keep seeing fans of opposing fans saying similar words over and over. I suppose most of you think we don't get "it" and that we can sign whoever we want for as much as we want because we have the richest owner in the NFL.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm curious if that isn't unique to just Seattle. Wonder what other teams have a ton of space devoted to a few players. The Niners will certainly have a ton devoted to Kap & Aldon. Who's the next highest-paid? Bowman? Willis?

Anthony Davis, Vernon Davis, and Navorro Bowman all have cap figures just north of $7M this year. Then it's Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, Ahmad Brooks and Frank Gore north of $6M each. Ray McDonald is at 5.3+M and everybody else is below $5M.

Willis and Brooks will be north of $8M each in 2015 and Bowman and V. Davis will be north of $7M each if nothing changes between now and then.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a ton of guaranteed money

Gobs. It was a lot more than I expected but I would wager Sherm fulfills this contract. He is 24 I think.

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bow and Willis both average 10mill, but Bow I don't think begins to hit until 2015 and Willis had his contract front loaded so it saved a lot of money in current years. Davis and Gore are both up there as well, but Gore will be gone after this year.

What has seriously saved the team is extending guys before they became really good and could command big dollars. Guys like Staley and Boone and to lesser extents McDonald, Brooks, Davis, and Miller. They signed for solid deals, but they would have gotten more if they became free agents.

Seattle can afford to keep their guys, but they'll be bit players for free agency which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It just means they have to keep hitting on draft picks or they will get screwed.

Which is pretty much what we've been doing the past two years.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Love it because it keeps the league so much more exciting and competitive.... It also makes the draft sooooo important... Otherwise the teams with the deepest pockets would always dominate...

no doubt.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is one aspect of the NFL I really like. The NBA for years has been a league of the haves and have nots where the big market teams weren't concerned about staying within the salary cap. They simply had the resources to pay the luxury tax and would just poach top free agents and buy championships.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't just say, "The front office thought this through," so everything will be OK. Losing guys because of talent is part of the game. Trying to deny that is just dumb. You have a lot of money tied into 2 guys and soon it will be 3 and possibly 4 (Chancellor will want a big pay day) so guys are going to leave. It doesn't mean that the team won't be good. They might win the Superbowl 3 times in the next decade. Good players will leave because there isn't enough money to go around. The same will happen with every team in the NFL.

Kam already got his extension last season. 7 mil a year til 2016 but pretty cap friendly the first couple of years.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I certainly CAN say that our front office thought this through.
Losing guys is obvious, when did I state that Sea FO doesn't know they will lose players?
Thanks for sharing your Lack of Knowledge about Kam already being extended.

Question is for you TGW, do you deny that Sea FO thought this through? I KNOW they did.
I also predict they will NOT extend Okung.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gobs. It was a lot more than I expected but I would wager Sherm fulfills this contract. He is 24 I think.

Yep just turned 26 in March...

This reminds me of when someone was corrected on an age in a basketball forum. Someone said that "a year before last March he was only 30." The player's birthday was in April. The person was trying to act like the player was young or he was stubbornly pretending like he didn't make the mistake of his age.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing guys is obvious, when did I state that Sea FO doesn't know they will lose players?

Question is for you TGW, do you deny that Sea FO thought this through? I KNOW they did.
I also predict they will NOT extend Okung.[/QUOTE]

Based on your prediction, that poses a HUGE problem for SEA as Okung is your best OL (arguably) and not re-signing him creates a huge void on an OL that is already being held together with staples and bubble gum. Maybe they draft an LT but they also have holes at RT as well as you could argue both LG and RG positions as well.

Not that I'm disagreeing considering that Okung seems to be hurt more then he's not so the value IMO is not there to spend 6+ mil per on the guy. I'm just curious as to how SEA plans to plug that hole. I don't see FA because you don't often see good LT hit the market and when they do it's for millions more then most think they are worth. They will have to rebuild through the draft but, much like the Niners with WR, SEA doesn't have the greatest track record of drafting OL help either. It will be interesting to see what happens for sure.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Based on your prediction, that poses a HUGE problem for SEA as Okung is your best OL (arguably) and not re-signing him creates a huge void on an OL that is already being held together with staples and bubble gum. Maybe they draft an LT but they also have holes at RT as well as you could argue both LG and RG positions as well.

Not that I'm disagreeing considering that Okung seems to be hurt more then he's not so the value IMO is not there to spend 6+ mil per on the guy. I'm just curious as to how SEA plans to plug that hole. I don't see FA because you don't often see good LT hit the market and when they do it's for millions more then most think they are worth. They will have to rebuild through the draft but, much like the Niners with WR, SEA doesn't have the greatest track record of drafting OL help either. It will be interesting to see what happens for sure.

Bruno will continue to just run around in circles 15 yards behind the line of scrimmage, then chuck it up there and have Golden Tate come down with it, NBD. You don't need an O-line when you have a two time Grammy award winner under center bro.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

dred, you are quite aware of our OL issues. Yet you look at it through a different light than I do.
Regarding the poor drafting of OL talent Seattle hit on Okung and Sweezy. Before you put down Sweezy, look up his stats as a run blocker. We run 1st so that trait is more important than pass pro.
We lost on Moffitt for sure and most likely Carp. So, they are about 50% on OL draftees.
McQ wasn't resigned and neither was Giac.
Last year we had a weak OL. Replacing Giac with either Bowie or a pick and Carp is playing for a contract so I don't see much dropoff based upon how ineffective our OL was last year.
I also would look to replace Okung-not this year, a great LT but his expense vs his health is a negative.
With RW being so mobile, a LT is not the necessity it is for a traditional pocket passer.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So glad that when we do any sort of speculating as to any sort of weaknesses the Seahawks might have we have Tweedledee, Tweedledum, and Tweedledumber to rush over to our board and set us straight. It can be difficult to decipher their borderline illiterate ramblings at times but at least we can rely on them for some first rate football knowledge. Like, that Richard Sherman is 24 and that making multiple players the highest paid at their position doesn't matter because the cap is inflating and in no way, shape, or form does that mean that salaries across the board will inflate. Good work guys, thanks for coming onto our board and keeping us informed.