• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Senior Bowl information

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eric Galko:

So practice is cancelled today. Gonna hang out at team hotel and talk to some of the players.

----------------------

Shane Hallam:

Really impressed with him this week. Underrated RT @IcemanCal: @ShanePHallam what's your view on cal OL mitchell schwartz?

Under performing, poor lower body strength RT @JRFord0: @ShanePHallam Michael Brewster....whats kind of mark is he making at #seniorbowl?

He's looked poor. RT @TCA90: @ShanePHallam No buzz around Nick Foles seemingly, Dilfer said he'd be first round a few months back!

The pass rushers at the top of this draft aren't "speed" guys like Aldon Smith/Von Miller. Upshaw/Ingram/Coples not gonna blaze #SeniorBowl

Alfonzo Dennard? May have had one of the worst weeks down here IMO RT @22qnf1: @TheRealEyeScout @ShanePHallam denard is playing well
too

----------------------

Russ Lande:

Met with Brandon Weeden yesterday for about an hour & he is a very impressive man with the smarts & maturity to start as a rookie in NFL.

-----------------------

Matt Miller:

AJ Jenkins of Illinois added to Senior Bowl roster, Should have been there all along

-----------------------

Michael Tanier:

Insanely windy in Mobile right now. If this keeps up, the North quarterbacks will blow away.

Drizzling. Players arriving. Major line of storms coming. Here we go!

North squad...not wearing pads

-------------------------

Scott Wright:

Heading over to North practice at the #SeniorBowl. Just started drizzling and there is a tornado watch. Lovely!

----------------------------

Shawn Zobel:

Alabama WR Marquis Maze is out with a hamstring injury and is being replaced on the South roster by Illinois WR A.J. Jenkins

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Draft Buzz

Originally Published: January 26, 2012
Under-the-radar prospects rising

Todd McShay
Scouts Inc.

MOBILE, Ala. -- Senior Bowl week presents an opportunity for players from smaller programs and conferences to step up and show they belong with the big boys, and three 2012 prospects have taken full advantage of that chance at this year's game.

Vinny Curry's pass-rush ability is only part of his appeal.
Marshall DE Vinny Curry (6-foot-3, 265 pounds)
Curry is well-known in scouting circles and was considered a potential Day 2 (Rounds 2-3) pick even last season, but I doubt many fans across the nation realize Curry was third in the FBS with 22 tackles for loss in 2011, and tied for sixth with 11 sacks.

He doesn't have elite burst, top-end speed or athleticism, but Curry's initial quickness has been very good during Senior Bowl week and he is showing the ability to transition that quickness into power moves. Once he forces offensive tackles to stand up and respect his power, Curry does a nice job using rip or swim moves to beat them inside or outside.

What stands out above all, though, is his relentless motor, toughness and passion for the game, and one game from 2011 illustrates those qualities perfectly. Curry's mother, Linda Jackson, fought cancer for more than a year -- something he dealt with while still remaining committed to his teammates -- and she passed away early in the week leading up to Marshall's game against Rice. Curry did not practice at all during the week while mourning his mother, not even returning to campus until an hour before kickoff.

However, he decided to play and dedicate his performance to his mother. All Curry did against the Owls was record nine total tackles, 3.5 sacks, a fumble recovery, and force a fourth-quarter fumble that led to the game-winning touchdown for Marshall. He's the kind of player it's easy to pull for, and Curry had done everything he can this week to solidify a Day 2 grade. In fact, it won't surprise me if he ends up working his way into the second round before all is said and done.

Louisiana-Lafayette CB Dwight Bentley (5-9⅞, 176)
Bentley played high school football with fellow South team CB Janoris Jenkins (North Alabama), and they have clearly been the top two defensive backs on the South roster. Bentley is undersized, but with his quickness, fluidity and body control he can flat-out cover.

He had only seven career interceptions -- due in part to teams preferring not to challenge him -- and while his ball skills are not elite he has shown in Mobile the ability to find, adjust to and fight for the ball in the air.

Two other things have stood out about Bentley, including his confidence. He has the ability to put negative plays behind him and bounce back on the next snap, something that is very important for a cornerback. Bentley has also taken coaching well this week, picking up what the coaches are telling him and making the necessary adjustments on the next play.

He was considered a Day 3 possibility coming into the season, but his improvement as a senior and his showing this week against future NFL receivers has improved his stock. Bentley has risen as much as any other prospect in attendance, and could very well come off the board on Day 2.

Utah State LB Bobby Wagner (6-0¼, 241)
Wagner has a solid frame, and he's showing some scheme versatility lining up on the strong side after spending a lot of time inside in college. He was highly productive for the Aggies, ranking eighth nationally in tackles per game in 2011, and is very strong at the point of attack.

Wagner takes good angles to get into sound position, and his pop and power at the point are very good. And while he lacks elite range in coverage, Wagner has been great pressing tight ends at the line of scrimmage and has shown good instincts and awareness against the pass. He gets good leverage -- not just depth, but also width -- to cover as much ground as possible, and he is far from a liability in that area.

Wagner now ranks as the No. 4 inside linebacker on the board -- behind the likes of Luke Kuechly, Vontaze Burfict and Dont'a Hightower -- and he's gotten himself to the fringe of Day 2.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Caplan:

Would rank Senior Bowl QBs on performance only: Weeden, Cousins (very close 2nd), Lindley, Wilson, Foles, Moore

----------------------

Joe Everett:

Texas LBs Keenan Robinson + Emmanuel Acho participating in LB drills.

----------------------

Matt Miller:

So impressed with UNC LB Zach Brown this week. Needs to get stronger at POA, but speed/coverage are tops

Cordy Glenn- Massive man, heavy footed at LT, love him at LG/RG in a power scheme (hello, #Bengals)

Most impressive QB, by far QB Brandon Weeden. Lots of zip, great pocket presence, leadership. Only downfall is age, 29 next year.

Doug Martin- Absolutely cut physique. Good vision and burst. Could see him in a one-cut system like Denver's

Alfonzo Dennard- Hot and cold all week. Lower body built like a SS. Average height, poor recover. Physical at LOS

Watched Kellen Moore throw with a current and former NFL personnel guy. One audibly laughed when Moore threw the ball. Not good

----------------------

Evan Silva:

Kiper on #Arizona QB Nick Foles: "Big arm, ideal size but inconsistent accuracy. Similarities to Chad Henne. Mixed opinions around NFL."

----------------------

Michael Tanier:

Cousins leads his receiver too far on a corner route and he almost ran into exhibit hall storage.

----------------------

Shawn Zobel:

Just my opinion, but the concept that any of the QB's played well enough to move into the first or second round is almost absurd

After talking to one person last night about Brandon Weeden, most people in the league are very aware of the age issue. No upside w/ pick

You watch Kirk Cousins on film from this season, and he isn't higher than a mid-round pick. Just because he showed a strong arm in Mobile...

doesn't mean people should move him up two-to-three rounds. That's not how the NFL operates, I can promise you that

Weeden is not an NFL-ready QB. Trust me, I love the tools he brings, but he's, at a minimum, a year away from having chance to start

I'm a stickler on quarterbacks too. There's only 2-3 I'd personally draft from this class not named Andrew Luck.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't get me wrong, Cousins arm is legit, but he doesn't possess a cannon as some people are making his arm strength out to be

Doug Martin doesn't have great burst, can't see him doing well in the NFL unless he's on the Eagles or perhaps the Jets (because of Sparano) Needs open field to get speed

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who's really, really underwhelmed by this year's WR crop? I really don't see what people are talking about when they say it's extremely deep.

Tell me I'm not crazy Pozz!

it appeared deep to me until i started watching the wr's and came away not very impressed. a lot of big bodies and most with great hands but not the kind of athletes who can get seperation in the nfl.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it appeared deep to me until i started watching the wr's and came away not very impressed. a lot of big bodies and most with great hands but not the kind of athletes who can get seperation in the nfl.

I'm not sure if you read my theory on wr's in the last page of the draft thread, if you haven't, then tell me if it makes sense to you.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me just copy it here.

I was telling my son the other day that I can see the NFL evolving back to smaller (than now), quicker, more shifty wr's. With the league bringing in all these big bodied wr's, there is starting to be a demand for big bodied cb's to match up with them, to beat these new cb's that teams are trying to draft (or convert) you're going to need the quick, shifty wr's that create space with the sharp route running. Think Wes Welker, Victor Cruz, Kendall Wright (lots of buzz), Marvin Harrison, Mike Wallace and other players in these molds.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me just copy it here.

I was telling my son the other day that I can see the NFL evolving back to smaller (than now), quicker, more shifty wr's. With the league bringing in all these big bodied wr's, there is starting to be a demand for big bodied cb's to match up with them, to beat these new cb's that teams are trying to draft (or convert) you're going to need the quick, shifty wr's that create space with the sharp route running. Think Wes Welker, Victor Cruz, Kendall Wright (lots of buzz), Marvin Harrison, Mike Wallace and other players in these molds.

depends on the wr imo. colston and brandon marshal were big guys with enough speed to get seperation. that's basically what i look for. vincent jackson fit the mold as well, but he went earlier than i thought. i was hoping fuller answered the questions i had about him, but from what i've read he looks bad this week.