• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Second Round: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Washington Capitals

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pathetic. Win two elimination games against the defending champs and then get serenaded like that for 3 minutes in your own building in game 7.

I understand it. The 3rd period was a shit show. Most important period in franchise history and they played like hot garbage.

worked 42 game 7s. that pretty epic.
He went through a senile time a while ago when everyone on the ice was Sundin,
but has been really good again for the past couple of seasons

speaking of game 7s, damn you Capitals for ending Justin Williams' 7-0 record in them

only saw the last 3 periods, but the Caps seemed to go out with a whimper.
That's a shame. was really hoping they'd win,

That's the most disappointing part, never really created an opportunity to score in the last 30 minutes of the game.

This was the hardest one to take. Still in shock.

Will be for a while.

Idk what we need. I can't be disappointed in the team. They played a great series and I really think carried the balance of play. But hockey is cruel like that and the better team doesn't always win. Pittsburgh finished better and got clutch goaltending.

It's been a joy watching this team and all the great seasons and moments they have brought us for a decade or so now. It makes it more disappointing in a way, but those moments don't mean nothing either. They are still special.

I feel bad for my dad. He was at the first Capitals hockey game and he's 70 now. I hope he gets to see them win one. He texted me and my brother after the game tonight and said "sorry for making you guys into Caps' fan." Good one, dad. There are more important things in life, but I've loved hockey above all others, so to endure these dramatic and unbelievable failings over and over again is just rough. But I remain an optimist that one day it will happen. I just hope my dad gets to see it.

I feel ya, E. My dad and grandfather had season tickets in their inaugural season. Somehow winning 8 games the whole season was enough to hook him for life. I'm far less optimistic, but if that day comes, I can only hope it'll be that much better.

I just posted that if Caps fans were interested. Myself, I stopped following Malamud years ago...

He's all about the #hottakes when it comes to OV. He's always just waiting for something to go wrong in Caps land.

Ridiculous. Especially on a night when Ovechkin had the best forward backcheck of the game to break up a 2-on-1 and in a series where he gladly shifted to the third line to spread the scoring and get more favorable line matchups.

We know OV. He has his flaws and shortcomings (so does Crosby or any other player), but that is an absurd assessment and his ego has never held the franchise back or even been an issue. The guy just isn't 23 anymore and expecting him to do what he did 10 years ago would ignore all rational understanding of the game. His playoffs weren't spectacular, but they weren't bad either. First response is right... Fleury's stick is an inch one way or the other on his blast tonight and this is a different story I guess.

This Twitter rant sounds like a guy who's been jealous of OV for 15 years. Sad for him I guess.

Anyone who doesn't watch this team on a regular basis that has comments on Ovechkin's character/ego/commitment/etc. are frankly worthless. We've watched OV for 95ish games a season and he's not the perfect player, but he's done about everything you could ask of him to win.

Also, that Slava stuff is...interesting. I think it puts way too much responsibility on Alex. The stuff about ownership seems kinda true though.

The stuff about Ted is right, but how is what he does any different than any other owner? He wants to win, but he also is going to make sure he's making money.

OV isn't the problem. He's never been the problem. He will continue to not be the problem.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Pens fans on this board: Fuck you. good series, but fuck you. Don't take it personal, because it's not. As I said last year, I hope you never win a game again, but you're going to repeat and win your 5th(?) cup. Congrats.

For the people trying to kick a dog while their down: Fuck you. You can take that personal, because it is. Fuck you.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Pens fans on this board: Fuck you. good series, but fuck you. Don't take it personal, because it's not. As I said last year, I hope you never win a game again, but you're going to repeat and win your 5th(?) cup. Congrats.

For the people trying to kick a dog while their down: Fuck you. You can take that personal, because it is. Fuck you.
wow you take sports too serious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only got to see the second half of the first period and the first half of the second, but it looked like the Penguins did, indeed, make an adjustment exiting the defensive zone. So, basically, I could be an NHL coach.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drunk Uncle Dave saying Eriksson and Sutter for Overchkin might just get this deal done :dhd:

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only got to see the second half of the first period and the first half of the second, but it looked like the Penguins did, indeed, make an adjustment exiting the defensive zone. So, basically, I could be an NHL coach.

Practice these lines:
(When losing) "We didn't get the start we wanted, but we have to get back to our game and the chances will come"

(When winning) "I like the way we're playing. That's a good team over there, but we've stuck to our plan and burying our chances. We can't get complacent, we have to drive it home"

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My first tweets after the game:
1) Didn't expect that at ALL
2) Caps curse is scary strong
3) I'm a fan of one of the luckiest franchises (ignoring injury)

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who doesn't watch this team on a regular basis that has comments on Ovechkin's character/ego/commitment/etc. are frankly worthless. We've watched OV for 95ish games a season and he's not the perfect player, but he's done about everything you could ask of him to win.

The stuff about Ted is right, but how is what he does any different than any other owner? He wants to win, but he also is going to make sure he's making money.

OV isn't the problem. He's never been the problem. He will continue to not be the problem.

I don't understand questioning OV's drive. I DO think there's a mental issue there that's simply the result of years of...well, I won't describe it...and I think that mental warfare was evident in the third period. After the second period all I asked was the Pens survive five minutes and let the "not again" feelings take over from there. And they didn't even need the first five minutes. And I don't think the Ted stuff is too far from what most owners will do, but I do wonder if he's gonna have the guts to make big moves IF they think that's what's best. I don't know if it is...I have no clue what the solution is. I think that's what's frustrating about the team. They did the whole "change the identity" thing, and the results were worse. They've brought in "born winners" and still the same. I think that's probably why people are bringing up the trade OV stuff this year more than any. It even sneaked into my thoughts for the first time, not because I think OV is the problem at all, or that he's unworthy, but just because maybe they need a new group that won't constantly be thinking about prior losses. Who knows, it's way above my pay grade.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand questioning OV's drive. I DO think there's a mental issue there that's simply the result of years of...well, I won't describe it...and I think that mental warfare was evident in the third period. After the second period all I asked was the Pens survive five minutes and let the "not again" feelings take over from there. And they didn't even need the first five minutes. And I don't think the Ted stuff is too far from what most owners will do, but I do wonder if he's gonna have the guts to make big moves IF they think that's what's best. I don't know if it is...I have no clue what the solution is. I think that's what's frustrating about the team. They did the whole "change the identity" thing, and the results were worse. They've brought in "born winners" and still the same. I think that's probably why people are bringing up the trade OV stuff this year more than any. It even sneaked into my thoughts for the first time, not because I think OV is the problem at all, or that he's unworthy, but just because maybe they need a new group that won't constantly be thinking about prior losses. Who knows, it's way above my pay grade.

Not dressing Orpik anymore would be a start.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anyone who puts this on OV are not paying attention. And I have been ultra critical of OV the last year or so. But if they want to trade him, I would let go of just about anyone outside Bob and Werenski to get him.

OV does have negatives in his game, every player does. But no one should ever question his will to win. He took a "demotion" (how it was reported, not necessarily the truth) without complaining. Every coach that comes in has something else they want him to do, and he does it. And he usually does it well. Check? Yep. He does it. Play loose and free, yep. Play the more edgy physical role? He does. He is a coaches' dream and it's in a body that has been blessed with incredible ability.

He didn't do himself any favors with his Olympic comments this year in regards to people questioning his committment, and I have (very vocally) disliked his change to agitator and sandpaper guy the last year or so. Mainly because it is unnecessary. When he is chasing hits, he's not chasing pucks. Or he's not carrying the puck. With him, you want him carrying the puck or making space. The Caps across the board this season seemed to do more of that rub guys into the boards stuff, and I honestly can't say if that is a Trotz thing. But I think if it is a stategery, they should take the shackles off OV (And Burakovsky for that matter). Let him uses his wheels and creativity and he can make things happen.

If he's doing it of his own volition, then I think he's a curmudgeonly dick. :)

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know i know i'm not a regular, i know i can't possibly know hockey, i know fuck me im
a pens fan, and that i obv only started following hockey when we drafted did

did i get the usual bullshit comments out of the way??